KY's Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jan 10, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With the 2021-2022 season in our rear-view, it's time to focus on something that we've all had to focus on a little too much over the past decade, the offseason. The great thing is we have a ton of resources and draft picks to really turn this thing around and field a competitive team in 2022.

Starting Cap Space (according to Spotrac): 61M
    Effective Cap Space (according to OTC): 47M

Cuts:
    Greg Van Roten (3.5M)
    Ryan Griffin (3.3M)
    Blake Cashman: (1M)

Effective Cap Space: 55M

Re-signings:
    Braxton Berrios: 3 year/15M (10M guaranteed)
    Morgan Moses: 1 year/5M
    Tyler Kroft: 1 year/1M
    Laurent Duvernay-Tardif: 1 year/4M
    Dan Feeney: 1 year/3M
    Mike White: 2 year/4M
    Eddy Pineiro: 1 year/1M
    Joe Flacco: 1 year/2M
    EFRA's: Javelin Guidry, Tim Ward, Jeff Smith, Elijah Riley (league minimum for all ~ 2M total)

Effective Cap Space: 30M

Free Agency:
    Dalton Schultz, TE (DAL): 3 year/38M (26M guaranteed)
    Jordan Whitehead, S (TB): 3 year/9M (6M guaranteed)
    Anthony Walker Jr., LB (CLE): 2 year/8M (4M guaranteed)
    Rasul Douglas, CB (GB): 3 year/18M (12M guaranteed)
    Mark Glowinski, IOL (IND): 2 year/10M (5M guaranteed)

Puts us 1M over our effective cap but that can easily be mitigated with some cuts.

Draft: (Utilizing TDN's Mock Draft Machine)
    4th overall: TRADE with the Denver Broncos.
    Jets receive Denver's 2022 1st (9th overall), 2 2022 2nd's (40th & 60th), and Denver's 2023 2nd for 4th overall. With the draft falling how most think it will right now (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, and Hamilton going 1, 2, 3) the Jets trade back with the Broncos who move up to take their shot at getting a FQB.

9th overall: Charles Cross OT, Mississippi State. With names like Stingley, Booth, Ojabo, Devin Lloyd, and Linderbaum still on the board this one was a tough one. I was hoping Karlaftis would've fallen to 9 but the Giants took him at 7. I don't think this would be a very popular pick but with Fant and Moses on 1 year deals and the injury concerns around Becton, Cross makes a lot of sense. He's excellent in pass sets and has fantastic lateral mobility, making him a perfect scheme fit for what LaFleur wants to do.

10th overall: Jameson Williams WR, Alabama. An excellent route runner with elite top end speed, Jameson Williams would compliment what Elijah Moore and Corey Davis already bring to the table extremely well.

35th overall: Nakobe Dean LB, Georgia. If you want to see what Dean can do, put on the tape from the CFB Semi-Final vs Michigan. Dean is an instinctual athlete at LB that can stop the run as well as the pass. JD gets the steal of the draft at the beginning of the 2nd round.

38th overall: Jordan Battle S, Alabama. At 6'1" 210lbs, Battle can do a little bit of everything. He's played as the deep safety, in the box, and on occasion in the nickel for the Alabama defense. He displays excellent range and is a phenomenal tackler from the S position.

40th overall (via DEN): Logan Hall EDGE, Houston. Hall's versatility was in full display during the 2021 season as Houston lined him up at EDGE as well as on the interior. Hall's an explosive athlete with a non-stop motor and the growth he made in 2021 in terms of the technical aspect of being a pass-rusher was exceptional. If he continues to improve he will be a fantastic player to pair with Lawson, JFM, and Quinnen.

60th overall (via DEN): Trey McBride TE, Colorado State. A well-rounded TE prospect who is a solid run blocker with great hands. He's not the fastest player but he displays great football IQ with his craftiness as a route runner which should provide him with adequate separation at the next level.

69th overall: Kingsley Enagbare EDGE, South Carolina. We go back to the well at EDGE and get another explosive athlete to pair with Lawson, Hall, and Huff on the outside. Enagbare struggles a bit as a run defender but is already a good pass rusher. I see him in sort of the Bryce Huff role in his rookie year as depth for pass rushing downs with the potential to be an every down player after a year or two. With how much this CS loves to rotate their DL, I don't think we can have enough guys at those positions.

108th overall: Hassan Haskins RB, Michigan.
    Hassan Haskins would be the perfect compliment to Michael Carter. Haskins has a physical approach to his playstyle that will wear down opposing defenses.

114th overall: Alec Lindstrom IOL, Boston College. Lindstrom was a 3 year starter at Center for BC. He is a technician that excels in the run game and has solid footwork which helps him in pass protection. He would be a perfect developmental prospect for our zone scheme.

144th overall: Josh Jobe CB, Alabama. Jobe excels in press man coverage so I'm not so sure about his scheme fit in our defense but he's a long, rangy CB with a ton of potential. I'd love to see how Saleh and Ulbrich could develop him in their system.

161st overall: Charleston Rambo WR, Miami. After transferring from Oklahoma to Miami for the 2021 season, Rambo went on to break the single-season reception record at Miami with 79. Rambo is very much a developmental WR but if he continues to progress like he did for the 2021 season, he could be a steal this late in the draft.

FA Signing Rookie Practice Squad

Offense:

QB:
    -2 Zach Wilson
    -5 Mike White
    -19 Joe Flacco

RB:
    -32 Michael Carter
    -## Hassan Haskins (25)
    -25 Ty Johnson
    -22 La'Mical Perine
    -35 Austin Walter

FB:
    -48 Nick Bawden

TE:
    -## Dalton Schultz (86)
    -## Trey McBride (85)
    -81 Tyler Kroft
    -85 Trevon Wesco

WR:

-8 Elijah Moore
    -84 Corey Davis
    -## Jameson Williams (1)
    -10 Braxton Berrios
    -11 Denzel Mims
    -16 Jeff Smith
    -## Charleston Rambo (11)

LT:
    -## Charles Cross (67)

-76 George Fant
    -70 Chuma Edoga
    -## Greg Senat

LG:

-75 Alijah Vera-Tucker
    -72 Cam Clark

C:
    -60 Connor McGovern
    -67 Dan Feeney
    -## Alec Lindstrom (72)

RG:
    -## Mark Glowinski (64)
    -72 Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff

RT:
    -77 Mekhi Becton
    -78 Morgan Moses
    -68 Parker Ferguson

Offense: 34 total

Defense:

DE:

-58 Carl Lawson
    -47 Bryce Huff
    -## Logan Hall (92)
    -## Kingsley Enagbare (1)

-51 Tim Ward
    -55 Hamilcar Rashed Jr.

DT:
    -95 Quinnen Williams
    -91 John Franklin-Myers
    -98 Sheldon Rankins
    -96 Jonathan Marshall
    -79 Tanzel Smart

LB:
    -57 CJ Mosley
    -## Anthony Walker Jr. (4)
    -## Nakobe Dean (17)

-56 Quincy Williams
    -45 Hamsah Nasirildeen
    -44 Jamien Sherwood

CB:
    -37 Bryce Hall
    -## Rasul Douglas (29)
    -26 Brandin Echols
    -30 Michael Carter II
    -27 Isaiah Dunn
    -34 Justin Hardee
    -40 Javelin Guidry
    -## Josh Jobe (28)
    -29 Rachad Wildgoose
    -33 Zane Lewis

S:
    -## Jordan Whitehead (33)
    -## Jordan Battle (9)
    -21 Ashtyn Davis
    -33 Elijah Riley
    -41 Jason Pinnock

Defense: 32 total

K:
    -15 Eddy Piniero

P:
    -7 Braden Mann

LS:
    -42 Thomas Hennessy

ST: 3 total

Roster Total: 69

I'm sure they'll sign/add a few fringe roster guys to get this closer to 80-90 by OTAs/TC.

I'd be happy with this offseason. Went with the big splash on the Schultz deal but kept everything else relatively cheap while still adding some key pieces on defense and getting a starter at RG. The draft didn't go quite as planned as I was hoping to get Karlaftis at 9 but Cross, Williams, Dean, and Battle would all be immediate starters. With Hall, Enagbare, McBride, Haskins, Jobe, and Lindstrom providing depth while they continue to develop.

I think this roster would be good enough to finish around .500 and be in the mix for a WC spot.

#1 KY Jets Fan, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Looks great to me.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sign me up. But I think we might have to spend more than what you have above to sign some of our guys and Free Agents. Got no issue with the strategy.

P.S. Thanks for the effort my friend

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not a Capologist (not sure that's a word but we'll go with it!) but I did try to do a little research on OTC/Spotrac/etc. to come up with those numbers. I think they'll be somewhat close but I'll probably end up being off by a few million one way or another.

We'll find out soon enough!

Brook! likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I upvoted for including player numbers.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Excellent job although I doubt Enagbare lasts until #69. I sure hope he does would like to see him in green …

But outstanding job …you hit just about every hole.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Awesome job, KY! I don't agree with every single player or move, but overall, I'd give this an A. For the most part I like your FA, but I'd spend more and go for a higher profile player or two than just Shultz. I like your first 3 picks in the draft and several of the others, but there are a few that I'd replace with other players.

I wouldn't bring Feeney back. He's awful.

I've only just begun working on my offseason plan, but see I have my work cut out for me to try to top yours.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That does give us potential answers at most of our issues. I like it.

I noticed trey McBride is this years van Jefferson, you won’t find a Jets mock without him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Brook is right @KY Jets Fan but it’s so hard to tell. Example - I thought Conklin was going to get some mega 4 year/$80 million deal and he ended up getting a modest 3 year/$42 million so it’s tough to peg.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thanks! I have some reservations about him lasting that long too especially if he tests well at the combine or has a good pro day but he’d be great value at that point.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thanks!

I really see JD making one big splash signing this offseason and I think it’ll be either at TE or at S. Once you do that, it sort of knocks you out of contention for making a big splash at the other because we have quite a few holes we need to fill. If we don’t get Schultz, I expect that money to go towards Marcus Williams or Jessie Bates and then go for a cheaper option at TE (Njoku, OJ Howard, etc.).

Totally agree on Feeney, the first move I would make after the draft if it planned out this way would be to cut/trade Feeney. I really only signed him to have some flexibility going into the draft but with a decent developmental C prospect in the fold in Lindstrom, Feeney would be on the chopping block ASAP.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I tried to do as much research on the contracts as possible but Spotrac and OTC can only help so much.

I think those guys will get contracts close to that but I’m sure I’ll be off by a few million here or there. Hopefully it won’t be enough to make this scenario unrealistic but we’ll see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Great job on this, and this isn't a knock but a legitimate question.

I've liked what I've seen from Williams, but is he really an "excellent" route runner? I've only seen 2 Alabama games this year, so I haven't seen him run enough of the tree to confirm or deny that statement. That said, I think he's a great compliment to our WRs and can blow the top off a defense. I'm just wary of those types when they hit the NFL going against press. What's the floor on Williams, and where did Burks go on your mock?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

From the tape I’ve watched, I’ll say he’s not an elite route runner but he’s very good with the IQ and natural ability to become elite.

Here’s a few snippet’s from TDN’s scouting profile on him:
    “Route Running: Jameson Williams is a quick-twitch runner. He has the ability to quickly snap off routes underneath. Can run routes with tempo and find the soft spot in zone coverage and sit down. On deep routes, he’s a very impressive route-runner and has the ability to change direction without losing speed. Excels at climbing vertically on safeties and giving great fakes as the top of routes that allow him to consistently get open on vertical routes. Has the speed to run away from defenders consistently. “

“Separation: Williams uses his quickness and fluid route-running ability to create separation. His ability to accelerate and stop on a dime allows him to uncover defenders. Excels at pushing routes vertically to threaten defenders deep and then quickly snapping off the routes.”

“Football IQ: Williams shows a good understanding of the game through his route-running. Understands when to throttle down his routes against zone coverage and when to run away from defenders against man. Also understands what leverages defenders are trying to play against him and does a great job of stemming defenders to get to the spot that he needs to get to.”

NCJetsfan and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks man, that all sounds solid, appreciate it! I'll watch tonight, and then I'll get into all these players over the next few months. I'm 100% down for a WR in the 1st, Jets need elite weapons ASAP.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I’m with you. The good thing is there are a lot of really good WR prospects in this draft. Even if we don’t go with Williams, guys like Olave, Wilson, Burks, and London all have a ton of potential. Hopefully we land one of them.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Well, looks like Williams has a knee injury. You jinxed the poor kid.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m no doctor but I’m guessing it’s a bad sprain rather than a full tear. He walked all the way to the locker room. Hope the kids OK.

mrjet80 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Non-contact knee injuries usually aren’t good. Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looked on the broadcast.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I need to see better pass catching TEs
    I need to see an investment in a kicker (Gay from LAR)
    I need to see better interior lineman

KY Jets Fan likes this.