Kyle Hamilton

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Nov 30, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of fans get tight buttholes at the thought of drafting a Safety high after the Jamal Adams experience (understandably). But a situation could potentially arise that would make Hamilton the best Blue Chip prospect available for the Jets at some point. Yes there is positional value to consider but there are certain Safeties who do impact the game at a very high level, specifically Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Hamilton is that caliber of a prospect, and adding him could make enough of an impact in the middle of the field that LB becomes less of a huge need. He can play man or zone and play all over, high, low, nickel… he is an absolute beast.

I’m ready for some people to hate this, but he might actually be the most impactful non-edge rusher available when the Jets pick.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s a deep free agent pool for safety. I believe 2 of the guys you mentioned are on that list

3. MaximusD163

Dude, Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick are not free agents. And sure you can bring just anybody in at Safety, but where the Jets are picking Hamilton may be more of a game changer than any other player available.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Pass. Safety and DT are total luxury positions. Hell, the giants best defender is Xavier McKinney picked in rd 2.

5. MaximusD163

You have to play the draft to some degree. You can’t just force Edge or OL if they aren’t among your highest grades players remaining.

wewantsapp likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m on board if KT and Hutchinson are off the board. I’m going to be interested to see how Evan Neal plays against Alabama but the whole Bama offensive line has gotten beaten like a drum the past two-three weeks.

Hamilton has to be the best safety prospect of the past ten years. And he picks balls off and plays that way more important single high position than playing down in the box. I can’t remember a safety in recent memory that has his range and ball skills.

I’d also be super in on Stingley but the injuries, combined with the fact that all these LSU kids seem to turn into snotty malcontents in the NFL makes me very worried (OBJ, Landry, Adams, Fournette with Jacksonville, etc.) to spend that sort of capital on him.

People who pigeon hole themselves into the no thanks because he’s a safety camp need to go watch him play. He’s a game changer.

We’ve done the “you can find X position later in the draft” thing and that’s why our offensive line has been an utter disaster for half a decade.

NoodleArm, mrjet80 and MaximusD163 like this.
  7. MaximusD163

If you don’t have the Big 2 Edges, you could take Hamilton, and try and trade back with the second pick. Maybe get to a good spot to snag Linderbaum, and maybe even hop back into the first and grab Ojabo. Then you still have another 2nd round pick for TE or WR, or maybe CB

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t love what I’ve seen out of Ojabo. He gets bullied pretty badly at the point of attack and turned in or out on edge running plays. Might be a good speed rusher in the mold of Yannick Ngakoue and will have his place in the NFL but I’d prefer a more complete end. I hope I’m wrong too because I love the kids story.

I think it’s imperative that we trade down in one of the two spots. With the top two edges gone there is going to be more value for this overall roster to get more picks. I’m hoping Corral doesn’t light up the combine, but a team falls in love with him in interviews (Pittsburgh, New Orleans maybe?).

9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

At this point, pick 1 has to be:

KT or Hutchinson. My guess is they both go top 2 esp. if Hutchinson continues to play well.

Evan Neal would be a sure bet to go to Jacksonville at 3. But, there are plenty of other OL needs for us tbh. I think the only reason we draft Neal is if we really think Becton will never be healthy and essentially, this RT is our backup LT and probably starter 50% of the season. Fant is fine IMO. RG is a major weakness but, probably shouldn't be another first round pick. Linderbaum, could be a good pick but HAS to be done as a trade back.

Stingley is elite but as a Clemson fan, Andrew Booth Jr. is just as good. High character kid too. Unfortunately, I don't think the other DE's are elite but we have options with pick 2. Just hope we can get the DE at pick 1.

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's a hell of a player, but I'm not taking a safety with a top 5 pick right now. Maybe if they can trade down a few spots with their second pick.

I'd rather go with a pass rusher, offensive lineman, or CB at the top of the draft.

11. MaximusD163

I understand that, but there are other options aside from Ojabo as well.

As far as QB’s, the interesting thing about no obvious #1 is that no team will have any idea who else might fall in love with the same guy they start to like. If no QB goes in the top 3, all of a sudden Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Philadelphia, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cleveland, and Detroit (Rams pick) are all wondering if their guy is everyone else’s guy. If there was an obvious 1 or 2, those guys go quickly. Scarcity creates a market, and the Jets will actually be in a better position to trade down if they pick a little later.

As a result of the unspectacular QB class this year, teams are more likely to self-justify trading up to 6 or 7 for a QB than to 2. Too many teams need a QB for them all to just skip on a swing in the 1st round. And the great thing about the draft is that you only need 1 to pull the trigger, because no one knows who else is trying to move up for a guy. If Carolina is the only one desperate for a QB, just make it seem like there is 1 or 2 other teams looking to move up. Fabricate the market if necessary.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes, just throwing out my thoughts on the player, in-prompted.

I think the top two quarterbacks taken are Corral and Pickett. That might seem rather obvious though. I don’t see it at all with Carson Strong but some people like him.

The question is whether either of them do enough in their bowl game to move the needle. We will hopefully see them square off on a fast turf with bad defense and get a good assessment on both of them in the Peach Bowl.

13. MaximusD163

I think Strong and Willis are both guys who could blow up the combine, and we’ve seen teams fall in love with traits before. It will also depend on if they can wow in the interview process. All I can say is I’m glad the Jets didn’t postpone drafting a QB. Even if Wilson doesn’t pan out, taking a shot in 2021 was the right play.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm fine with it as long as we take him with the Seattle pick. It would make it poetic to take a far superior safety to Jamal Adams and also have all those other picks.

chandler, Jeff M, Ozymandias and 6 others like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think Willis does. He’s been terrible this year and I wouldn’t be super surprised if he goes back to school. I think he still has a super-year of eligibility left.

16. MaximusD163

I haven’t really watched anything of him, and I wasn’t really thinking he could go top 10

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So, would you take Hamilton at 5 or trade down a bit and get Linderbaum?

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I like Linderbaum but if we draft him it’s the 3rd or 4th year in a row with 2 new starting OL. It’s hard to get a line to “gel” when you switch 2 out every year.

I was high on Linderbaum before the year started but McGovern is playing well and there is no guarantee Linderbaum would be there after a trade down.

FA will have a lot to say and I love the way JD works the draft but at this point I’d take top edge and Hamilton if both are available at the perspective slots. I would trade down the 1st pick if the 2 edges are off the board though. And I’d trade the 2nd pick if Hamilton is gone.

Loved Stingley’s tape freshman year but a “stud” with injury history has been a bad look for us in the past.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

It’s too early to say anything absolute. It just depends on who is available, but there in this hypothetical is there a reason they couldn’t take Hamilton at 5 and trade down with the other pick and drag Linderbaum?

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

As of right now Hamilton would be 3 on big board right after the two edge prospects. If both edge prospects are gone and Hamilton is available he’s BPA that fills a huge need so I can’t see the problem if he is the pick.

He’s as good of a safety prospect as there has been in a long time.

LAJet likes this.