Kirk Cousins - Jets QB?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 10, 2016.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It makes the most sense to give Petty his shot as the starting Jets QB, However, when looking at the list of Free-Agent QB's for 2017:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Kirk Cousins leaped out at me. I'm on the fence on this one. How would you all react to the Jets signing him?

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I live in Maryland so I see/hear a lot about Kirk. I think last year was an anomaly and he isn't that good of a QB, but he has improved some this year. He still makes some boneheaded plays for a 2nd year starter who has been in the NFL for 5 years.

After watching him this year I believe he could be a QB you could win a Superbowl with. We would still need to build up a lot around him, but with the decent weapons we have on offense, he could succeed here.

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I think he'd be a great fit here. He's basically a young Chad Pennington. Except he's durable, he has a quicker release, a stronger arm and he can carry an offense. He doesn't need an elite defense or a strong running game to win games, or an elite O-Line to protect him. He can throw for 400-450 yards on a regular basis if he has to. Chad was never that type of guy, he'd "manage" games, not turn the ball over, throw for 180-220 yards, a TD and zero picks or something like that.

But Cousins is not stupid enough to join this POS franchise so this is not going to happen.

Peebag likes this.
  4. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

No way he's leaving Washington, they'll franchise him again if they need to and while he still has his issues he has played slightly better this season, i think he's gonna get his extension in the offseason, Id be shocked in Washington let him go.

LarryAlRalph and almbleamal like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cousins ain't going nowhere. Washington found its QB.

june19 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It would cost like $100 million to bring him here and I dont think he is worth that

kevda5n9ne and wewantsapp like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I live here too. Cousins will be a bad FA signing. He would not succeed with the Jets. He is not bad, but he is not good either. Middle of the pack guy. Now a Jets fan might say "Well that is an upgrade for us!" True, but at that cost? Rather try to find a star via draft or hope Petty/Hackenberg become one.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think the chances of us signing RGIII are greater than us landing Cousins. That would be a classic Jets move.

LarryAlRalph and kevda5n9ne like this.
  9. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Glennon should be at the top of the list.

Tommy Gunnz and Boomboom like this.
  10. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

+ 1,000,000 idk why no one talks about him

11. Pothead

Pothead Member

Hello no to glennon, looks awful in preseason. Don't do that and set the franchise back further.

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Glennon makes Osweiler look like Dan Marino.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Give Petty a legitimate shot sooner than later and look for upside, even if the wins don't come right away. Based on his performance then sign a vet in the offseason that either pushes him in camp next year for starter or is the clear backup. Hack is 3rd string next season and holds the clipboard until 2018 before he's either elevated to #2 or competes with Petty for the #1. The line is definitely a problem and will influence how well Petty can perform this season, but he does have legitimate WR's as well as help in the back field. There's enough there to make a decent evaluation of his skills in games that aren't preseason.

The Jets absolutely have to find out what they have with these 2 before shopping for a QB that will cost them big money.

14. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

4 Failed jets QB on the list fitzpatrick, Sanchez, Smith and Clemens no wonder we suck

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

If Washington somehow let him walk and we had the cap space which I'm not sure I'd definitely look to make a run at Cousins.
    Glennon is worth a shot but I wouldn't pay him anything more than a standard backup QB contract.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Isn't anyone tired of retread QB's? Deshaun Watson is probably coming out this year. I would trade the whole Jets team to move up and get him.

FJF likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

fitz doesn't belong on that list. he was a journeyman stopgap. not expected to be our franchise ever. sanchez, smith, and clemens were all wastes of high picks

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lets see what hack can do first. i'd love to grab fournette. a RB like him could take a lot of pressure off a young QB. a large part of daks success in dallas is due to zeke and the o-line

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

UNC plays on ESPN at 7:30 for those interested in the 2016 draft class (Mitch Trubisky)

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In a league where Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler average over $19 million/year over the final four years of his deal, it's just become the standard of getting even a serviceable or average NFL quarterback.

I'm not completely sold on Kirk Cousins, but I'd take him over Fitzpatrick in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, as some have alluded to, he's a quarterback that needs a solid offense built around him to make a strong playoff run. We are pretty far away from that circumstance here, so I'm not sure how logical it is to throw big money at a player like that. It feels like a big contract like that could once again set the franchise back, especially if he's throwing behind what should be a young rebuilt offensive line and throwing to what will likely only be one proven receiver next year with an old backfield.

A lot have pegged him as a guy that's going to rise up the boards ala Blake Bortles, especially after his workouts if he declares. I like what little I've seen of him. I wonder what draft experts think of him, though.