Kiawanuka

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Mar 11, 2006.

1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

What would you think of taking Mathias Kiawanuka from BC with the Broncos pick, either one, that we would get for Abe if we trade him there? He could replace Abe at DE, but if we're going to a 3-4 he's probably not big enough. Still, he was a top 5 pick just a few months ago, and even though D'Brick dominated him at the senior bowl, he can still pass rush. What would you think of him replacing Abe, if we are going to take a DE, I think I'd rather have, say Cutler or D'Brick and Kiwi than Mario and another player we would get at the Broncos pick. What do you think?

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

NO, no way, forget it.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Mario Williams should be the only DE we draft in the first round.

4. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

He will be lucky to be a first rounder with the way he is dropping.

5. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

I would much rather take Lawson who would be a great 3-4 Olb pass rusher. If we sign von oelhoffen we wouldnt need another DE with Oelhoffen, robertson and Ellis as the front 3.

6. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Manny Lawson with the Broncs pick would be a great fit in our new 3-4.

7. Vmanator51

Vmanator51 New Member

jets dont need a DE, they have thomas he at least was 1 time good in college, but in da nfl he can also defend da run when ever abe is off the field ellis seems to pull some magic out of his ass and start playing so da jets dont need a DE just go offense i dont like mario williams i dont think he can rush da passer like abe could da jets need a DE under a 3.2 40 time to replace abe.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I've seen a lot of Kiwi. You know who he reminds me of?

Bryan Thomas. . . . .stay away.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He might be this year's Brandon Browner in terms of falling on draft day. Except he won't go undrafted.

B-U-S-T BUST BUST BUST

10. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I would definately take a flier on Kiwi. His performance this season suffered due to injury but he was ranked incredibly highly coming into this season and has the combination of size and speed to make it in the NFL.

I can't understand why people refuse to take Kiawanuka with a late first rounder but would jump on Comartie with a high 2nd?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah. If we got a guy with a 3.2 40 we definitley wouldn't play him at wide receiver.

Good point too KingHenry. The only thing that hurt Kiwanuka was the senior bowl. He was a beast all season and was by far the number one defensive end until workouts.

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

If the Denver pick does come through...I take a strong look at Bobby Carpenter...Or wait for Thomas Howard at pick number 35.

#12 EcKo151, Mar 11, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  13. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Kiwi's going to be a beast if he goes to a talented team in the 20s. Put him on a DL with other solid talent, might as well pencil him in for D-ROY. His weaknesses will be masked for the first time in his career, scary to see a weapon like him headed to a playoff team.

14. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Kiwi is a beast, imo he is the 2nd best d-end behind Mario Williams. I wouldnt mind taking Williams with the number 4 pick. However if we go o-line with the 1st pick and Kiawanuka is still there with out 2nd rounder I think we should take him.

15. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Tamba Hali is much better than this guy. You guys get caught up in too much HYPE. Mario Williams and Tamba Hali have been performing at the college level CONSISTENTLY unlike mathias who has been a great example of inconsistent, hence why he is falling. He's got great size, WOW!

16. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Brandon browner was never expected to go as high as some jet fans wanted him to be (26th pick) The guy went undrafted .

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Kiwi did ~17 reps of 225 and was surpassed by three or four quarterbacks, NFL Network has said. I don't think we should base our draft picks on combine performances, but if we're moving to the 3-4 (and there's every indication we are), then we don't need a 4-3 DL like Kiwi projects. He smells like a Bryan Thomas clone. Now, I don't if he can be moved of OLB in the 3-4. I don't know enough about his mobility.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he was projected as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder on draft day.

#18 JetFanInPA, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  19. lightning

lightning Active Member

not after he ran higher than a 4.75 he wasn't

20. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Browner was projected as a day 2 pick on draft day.

To the people bashing Kiwi, don't forget this kid was the best player in the ACC for a span of about a year and a half until he was injured by that cut block midseason. It's clear he hasn't been the same since that, because he didn't take any time to rest the injury. By next season, he'll be 100%, all he'll need from that point is to develop his moves (because he's still a bit raw); and you're looking at a pro bowler. No doubt in my mind on him.

It's also pretty pointless to criticize his bench press reps, because his arms are so long it's only natural to less adept at the bench press than the stocky type guys. Look at Hali, his arms are rather short, so it limit's his pass rush moves to a point, but he can easily put up better lifting numbers. Kiwi isn't as strong as Hali, but the fact that he knows how to use his arms to keep linemen off him is a big advantage.