Keys to Success Vol. 4 | Young Linebackers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jun 12, 2021.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Will one of these Linebackers step up and play a role on defense in 2021?

In this video, I discuss why the Jets NEED one of these two young linebackers to step up and play a role on defense to have success in the 2021 season and beyond.

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh clearly have a prototype in mind with the linebacker group. Hamsah Nasirildeen and Jamien Sherwood are nearly identical in their size. They both played box safety in college and the Jets must believe that one of these guys can pan out and make an impact on defense. During the 2020 season, the New York Jets lacked any real young talent at the LBer spot so it is nice to see the Jets double down on the position in the NFL Draft.

Which Linebacker will transition the best to the NFL? Will they both sit on the bench to start the year or do you see one of these kids starting week 1? What can we expect from Jamien and Hamsah moving forward?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I believe my FSU freak in Nas will not only play OLB in our 4-3 but also will play all over the Defense as he once did for FSU (and as #33 once did for us).

But so far it's been Nasirildeen who's been Receiving first-team snaps throughout OTAs.

This is an article (below) that I read two days ago @PennyandtheJets...

"The NY Jets are set to boast a new-look linebacker corps in 2021, and one player who's in the mix to receive significant playing time is rookie Hamsah Nasirildeen.

A standout safety at Florida State, the Jets selected Nasirildeen in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft eyeing a move to linebacker. And so far in OTAs, they've given him every opportunity to make an impact.

With Blake Cashman currently sidelined once again with an injury, Nasirildeen has been running alongside C.J. Mosley and Jarrad Davis with the first-team defense at the weak-side linebacker position.

Of course, the presumption is that Cashman would be the de facto starter if he was healthy, but this is still notable as Nasirildeen is evidently higher on the depth chart than fellow rookie Jamien Sherwood, despite being drafted a round later.

The NY Jets are giving Hamsah Nasirildeen a shot to win the starting job.

Seen as a late Day 2/early Day 3 prospect heading into the draft, Nasirildeen shockingly fell all the way to the beginning of Round 6 where the Jets quickly scooped him up.

The 22-year-old was regarded as one of the best safeties in the nation and a possible future first-round pick before a torn ACL suffered in the last game of his junior year wiped out most of his senior season.

Standing at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Nasirildeen has impressive size for the position and it's no surprise that he was moved to linebacker in the NFL.

Nasirildeen has preemptively been deemed one of the steals of the draft by numerous outlets given his natural talent and expected draft position.

And despite being a sixth-round pick, he should have every chance to contribute both on special teams and on defense in his rookie season.

Nasirildeen will be handed a golden opportunity to win the starting WILL job, and he seems to have the edge over his rookie teammate, Sherwood"

PS: Great video @PennyandtheJets I really enjoyed it!

#2 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    PennyandtheJets likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Being down here in St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) I absolutely hate the Buccaneers but over the years I've been exposed to a lot of Lavonte David talk and imo he's the best OLB within a 4-3 Defense due to A.) Being excellent in pass coverage and B.) Being an absolute tackling machine.

(over the previous two years he's played mostly RILB under Todd Bowles 3-4 Defense but throughout his first 7 years he was an OLB within a 4-3.

Lavonte David is 6'1/233 lbs and he has the type of speed for his position that makes kids from the State of Florida standout (played @ Nebraska but born and raised down here in Miami, Florida).

As a rookie this kid recorded 139 combined tackles (2012) and hasn't looked back ever since.

And this is the type of talent we're receiving in Hamsah Nasirildeen.

He's going to flourish as a Rookie without ever looking back; while capturing the hearts of Jets faithful at the same time because

A.) He's really good in pass coverage.

B.) He's even more of a tackling machine than Jamal Adams was coming out.

and

C.) He's by far (without question) the toughest, meanest, nastiest and most PHYSICAL FSU DB that I've ever witnessed.

I'm so glad we're moving back to our throwback old-school 4-3 Defense (sack exchange) because the 3-4 Defense hasn't worked for us in regards to featuring playmaking 3-4 OLB's who could pass rush the QB and QW is born to dominate as a 4-3 DT (not a 3-4 NT) and I deeply miss the days of #94 Abraham @ 4-3 DE as our pass rusher (welcome, Carl Lawson!) with sideline to sideline MLBs like Vilma (C.J. Mosley is going to dominate @ MLB)

#3 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 12, 2021
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Thanks for the love @DefenseWinsChampionships!

Can’t wait to watch him compete for reps on defense. He definitely has a shot to be a real steal in the draft.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

What I'm most excited about is how last year in 2020 he finally returned from his injury for our final two games (and looked awesome).

Against NC State he was only shaking off the rust from a 2020 layoff however during our last game of the season against Duke? He was the Hamsah Nasirildeen of old and played IDENTICAL to prime Nas while recording 9 tackles (3 solo), 1 tackle for loss behind the Line Of Scrimmage, 1 pass defended along with an INT returned for 25 yards!

I got choked up just watching this kid not only take the field but also playing with the same fearlessness and physically as before injury. I love this kid man one of my favorite FSU DBs of All-Time.

@ 0:33 he recorded his INT and OMG did I go ape shit crazy during his return I couldn't stop screaming go Nas go Nas go Nas the entire run back.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

@DefenseWinsChampionships I love your enthusiasm but, brah, Lavonte David? Dude was a two time All American at Nebraska turning into an All Pro in the NFL. Nasirildeen is not David. I hope he excels, but let's temper our expectations and curb your enthusiasm with L. David

#6 Lon Chaney, Jun 12, 2021
    CotcheryFan likes this.