Keller hopes to sign new deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GMCJETS, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Why would he agree to a one-year extension?

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Because maybe like so many around here he thinks it was really Schotty who held the O back, including him, and with Schotty gone, the O is going to fluorish, Keller's numbers go up substantially, and his market value next off season goes much higher.

Heh.

You don't think that is what he might be thinking?

Me neither.

I was just saying the Jets should offer a one year and take it from there.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Keller was Sanchez' #1 receiver in back to back years. Getting rid of or trading him would be detrimental to his progress. We've already taken away enough of Mark's targets over the past 3 years, let's keep this one constant. He did have drops last year, but then again, look how many of those throws were rushed and throw behind him as a result. Keller will probably get a nice deal next year, especially if he breaks out this year, prob 5-6 million. His value next year SHOULD be significantly higher unless our offense takes a step back this year, but I simply don't see that happening. Locking him up longterm now, might be the better solution, moneywise, but I'm not sure if we even have enough to accommodate. I just hope he's not planning on holding out or anything like that. I mean he's good, but not great.

#43 Barcs, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yes, extending him for 1 year would be ideal, but I'm going to assume that Keller expects great things to happen & won't go for it. (Doesn't hurt to ask, of course)

So it comes down to the risk management. If you do the contract now, you're risking tying up lots of $$ on a possible bust. If you wait for a year, you might end up overpaying.
    But the overpaying will be for a proven commodity, not for just a promise of greatness. Plus there will be busts who will be cut, freeing some cap room.
    Another angle is that from Tanny's job security standpoint, the latter is much more acceptable. There will always be support for overpaying a productive player. Alternatively there will be droves of "DepressedJets" calling for Tanny's head.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

6. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well it depends how much he is looking, but, yeah I don't know why they wouldn't. This last year was a big year for TEs maybe they think it was a fluke and this upcoming year their significance will drop and therefore the value of all TEs will drop...or something. I have no idea. Hopefully doesn't cost us more or cost us Keller in the long run.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So here's the question on Keller: what is a decent receiving TE worth?

There's no question Keller is better than the average TE as a receiver. He's not better than the average receiving TE but that's another question. He is better than the average stiff that teams roll out at TE to block and occasionally catch a pass.

So what's that worth?

9. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

absolutely agree with this above.
    i remember the last game of the season where sanchez thru the interception to the linebacker and the guy ran up the sideline with keller right along side of him and he pussied out and didn't even try to tackle the guy! total wuss! if thats the best the jets can get from him, then he's been "overpaid" to this point in his career. 1st thing i'd do during contract negotiations is show him that film clip!

3 million max or let him walk!

#49 joesmoe39, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny should lock Keller up.

If Keller proves he's NOT what's needed in Sparano's offense, then there are tons of teams that would KFK (Kill For Keller), which makes trading him and his new contract fairly easy. Hell, Belicheat would grab him today if at all possible.

But if Keller proves to be exactly what is needed, then he's here for years to come on a fair deal.

11. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

top ten TE??? in the arena league maybe, in the nfl, no way. it's amazing how fans over rate players for their own team. keller is like sanchez, closer to the bottom ten then he's ever gotten to the top ten.

12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Why would Belichump want Keller when he has the 2 best TE's in the history of the world?

13. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

LOL. teams would kill for keller? totally laughable. he can't lay a block to save his soul. belicheat would use him for a tackling practice dummy at best.

14. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

So let me get this straight.... He wasnt utilized last year, yet lead the team in BOTH receptions and recieving yards?

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Probably for the same reason he just grabbed that hobbled TE from the Giants.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Most good receiving tight ends aren't the best blockers. Keller will get his deal next year, which will inspire him to have his best year as a Jet. Contract years can motivate players like that, so don't be surprised.

17. MikeJetsWord

MikeJetsWord New Member

This is about right.