Kellen Clemens Passing Analysis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Ok I really shouldn't be spending my time this way since I have much to much schoolwork, but since Its Clemens' first game as the Starter for the Jets, I couldn't resist. Also, I will be doing this analysis in chunks, ( a drive by drive basis) so that I can just get it out as I do it....ill try to get the 2nd drive out by tonight. It should all be doen by tomorrow night!

Clemens Passing analysis

2nd and 2 ( ball on NYJ 28) ? Shotgun, 4 WR set. Clemens takes a 3 step drop, and stares down Cotchery in the slot. Clemens then quickly looks wide right and hits JMac for a gain of 6.

Grade: A; Time: 1.53
    ? Clemens nicely stared down the slot receiver to keep the linebackers from jumping the route, and then hit JMac on his hook cut, right between the numbers with great velocity and a perfect spiral.

1st and 10 ( ball on NYJ 34)
    ? 3 WR set. Clemens take a 3 step drop and quickly spots Smith in the slot on an out route. Ball thrown a little far from Smith?s body, but he makes a nice effort to reel it in. Gain of 6 yards.

Grade: B; Time 1.74 ? Clemens went for the easy pass, and took what the defense gave him. Not much effort to look for an open man downfield, with the protection holding up well. Ball was thrown away from the body, making Smith stretch for the catch.

3rd and 2 ( ball on NYJ 42) ? Shotgun, 3 WR set. Clemens with a quick drop and a bullet pass to Smith wide left on a hook out route. Gain of 4 yards.

Grade A-; Time: 1.04 ? Clemens showed a quick release with pinpoint accuracy on this play. The ball was thrown to Smith?s outside shoulder The pass was thrown quick to allude the blitz that was coming up the middle.

1st and 10 ( ball on NYJ 47)
    ? 3 WR, Smith motions into slot. Clemens with an off tackle play action to Jones. Clemens then spots Cotchery 15 yards downfield and throws a pass on target, but is broken up by Smoot. Incompletion

Grade: C+; Time: 2.51 ? Although an incompletion, you can?t blame Clemens for this pass, as Smoot ran through Cotchery in which was a very blatant, yet uncalled Pass Interference play. Smoot coming back for the ball, was out of position and Clemens caught him on it, but recovered and drove his left shoulder into Cotchery while attempting to make the completion.

3rd and 9 ( ball on NYJ 48) ? Shotgun, 4 WR set. Cotchery motioned middle, then back strong side, trips left. Clemens with a 3 step drop and throws the pass away wide right to a streaking JMAC. Roughing the passer on Landry. Gain of 15 yards.

Grade: INC; Time: 1.88 - Clemens did a nice job of getting the pass away in an area not occupied by defenders, and hung in their to take a helmet to helmet shot by Landry. Clemens popped back up unfazed and looked to see if the ball had landed incomplete.

2nd and 11 ( ball on Wash 27) ? Shotgun, 4 WR set. Clemens looks middle and pumps, then releases to the safety valve Jones in the flat. Gain of 4 yards.

Grade: C+; Time: 2.09
    - Clemens looked middle and pumped off the safety, but Landry didn?t bite as he threw to Jones in the flat for a gain of 4, and a quick tackle. Clemens didn?t like what he saw downfield and took the short yardage gain instead of forcing it into coverage.

3rd and 7 (ball on Wash 23)
    ? Shotgun, 5 WR set, Cotchery motions weak side. Clemens passes over the middle to Baker on an stop out route. Gain of 13 yards.

Grade: B+; Time:2.30
    ? Clemens shows his arm strength on a pass that was deflected yet still had enough on it to make it to his target receiver. The pass initially was thrown behind Baker, but was redirected by the tip. Nonetheless, a pass that can?t be completed without good velocity.

2nd and Goal ( ball on Wash 6)
    ? Shotgun, 4 WR set. Cotchery motions strong side. Clemens with a 3 step drop and throws a fade to a Smith out of bounds. Incompletion.

Grade: C; Time: 1.09 ? A good idea to give his receiver a chance to catch the ball, but a poor throw out of bounds made this a waste of a down. Ball was 2 feet out of bounds, and a good 3 steps out of reach for Smith.

Drive: 5/7, 33 yards

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

1st and 10 ( ball on NYJ 20) ? 3 WR set, Smith motions to slot. Clemens with a 5 step drop, looks right to Smith and then looks left and passes to Cotchery on an drag route 16 yards downfield. Incompletion.

Grade: C-; Time: 3.21
    ? With as much time as Clemens had, he should have been able to find any open receiver downfield. Instead he threw to Smith who was triple covered, and almost threw an interception. His attempt to go downfield instead of dumping the ball of to the safety valve was encouraging.

2nd and 8 ( ball on Wash 42) ? 2 WR strong I set. Cotchery motions in from strong side. Clemens with a 5 step drop, and looks left and throws wide to Smith. Incompletion.

Grade: C; Time: 1.60 ? Clemens had ample time to hit his receiver, however his throw wide and low was fortunate for him as Smoot has Smith blanketed and could have come up with the interception had it been on target.

3rd and 13 ( ball on Wash 47)
    ? Shotgun, 4 WR set Tight. Clemens looks left, finds no target and looks middle, standing in the middle of the pocket. Clemens finally gets flushed out left and pump, then finds Cotchery along the sideline. Gain of 31 yards.

Grade: A; Time 4.93
    ? Clemens did a great job of feeling the pocket around him, and when it finally started to collapse, he did a great job of scrambling left and finding Cotchery open. A great job by not forcing the ball into coverage, instead making plays with his feet and his arm. A great sign of maturity.

1st and 10 ( ball on Wash 16) ? Shotgun, 3 WR set. Clemens with the play action draw, and a quick screen out to Cotchery. Gain of 12 yards.

Grade: B+; Time 1.53 ? Good execution and play fake by Clemens. A quick turn and release, hitting Cotchery in between the numbers allowing him to take advantage of the over pursuit on the play fake and turn the screen into a first yardage play.

2nd and Goal ( ball on Wash 1) ? Goalline, Jumbo formation. Play fake to Jones off tackle, bootleg right and pass to Kowalski on a lead block fake out to the opposite flat. Gain of 1. Touchdown!

Grade: A; Time 2.86
    ? Good play fake by Clemens and great use of speed to separate from the pursuit to buy him enough time to hit Kowalski in the flat for the TD.

3/5, 46 yards, 18 rushing yards

3. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Great job in presenting your analysis. I'm sure everyone here will appreciate your hard work and effort on this, but , uh...dude, It was his SECOND start and he was MUCH better in his first- actually threw a few deep balls!

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Airplane thread? are you kidding me?

Lol, Jk, nice job man. I was look forward to this about Clemens.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Good work so far...

The most encouraging numbers from Kellen?

0 INTs

and

9/12 on 3rd downs

He's faced two tough defenses in two games as a starter, and he has two more coming up, in Pittsburgh and Dallas.... Hopefully, this all means he'll make up for lost time progression wise...

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Yes, I know he started against Baltimore. But it was his first game as THE STARTER, not playing because Chad is hurt. ( see below)

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nice job. I saw good and bad out of Clemens on Sunday but the good looked 5 year vet good and the bad looked 2nd start bad. That's a very good set of auspices in my opinion.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

ok, well not that too many people have been interested in these, but I have been crazy busy all week, and it looks like I wont finish this up this week...I'll start earlier next week and try to get it out all at once....

you get the idea though...Clemens had a good week

9. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

thanks man keep it coming...we all really appreciate you putting the time and effort into this as die hards need this type of thing to get them through the tough days in the week.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

He was pretty good. Great poise and looked like he had excellent leadership qualities and the ability to make something out of nothing. His negatives were accuracy, lots of tips and those stinking drops.

Do you think the drops are going to continue to be a problem or is it an adjustment period. My worry is that this is going on 2 starts now where his Wr's make bad drops. Is it something fixable or does Clemens have a bad ball per se...............and no I do not mean testicle.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

judging from how I saw the ball coming out of KC's hand, its a very catchable ball. I think its more of being on the same page as his receiver, as well as them adjusting to the velocity. Keep in mind these receivers have been catching balls from Pennington lately, which are the most catchable balls you will see in the NFL. Look for less and less drops as the weeks go by...

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yeah I figured. It is just that many of the drops come when it is most important to catch the ball, at the end of games/crunch time. Thought it might me indicative of something other than lack of familiarity, such as rushing passes at end of games. It is probably just the usual choking dog stuff that bad teams do.

I just wish someone would make one of those makable catches and show KC some love. He is showing he is certainly able to lead the team during the most difficult/important/crucial situations in a game. Now if others follow suit it would be nice.

13. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

Did anyone else notice that it looked like KC was rushing a lot to get the snap off? I'm not sure if it was the play coming in late or if KC takes a bit longer than CP to read the defense at the line. That was one thing Chad did well was give himself time to read the D and call the audible, if necessary.

Hopefully this is something Shotty and Chad can work on with KC.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He was ALOTbetter overall against Wash. KC was terrible for 3 qtrs against Bal then was excellent in the 4th, against Wash he was good all game long and he didn't turn it over unlike at Bal.

15. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Awesome analysis, thanks Scik!

16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That's an issue with our offense.... Chad gets the play off at 1 on the playclock all the time.... There seem to be way too many checks, motions and reads for an offense that, really doesn't seem all that complicated....

It drove me crazy with Chad in there, because pressure ruined his game, and when the playclock hits 1, the DL can fire off hard, without hesitation.... With Kellen it didn't worry me as much, because he handled the pressure better, but still, it's a problem that needs to be fixed....

Honestly, just another reason to hate Schotty

17. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Beamen,

I agree 100%. I did also notice that we huddled up more than in the past. I really would like to get back to a basic huddle and proset offense. I think we would be really good at that.