Kellen Clemens In-Depth Analysis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by arsenal1189, May 6, 2006.

1. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

[​IMG]

Analysis of Kellen Clemens? Skill Set

Kellen Clemens
    Position: Quarterback
    College: Oregon
    Height: 6-2 ?
    Weight: 223
    40 yd time: 4.89

I decided to look at a few highlight tapes to view some of the technical aspects of Clemens? game to get a feel for his pass skills as well as his technique. I also took into consideration that these are highlight tapes and the only ?real? game I watched of him was against USC. Even during that game I was focusing on other players to see how they would fit the Jets as we all know that a good few Southern Cal offensive talents could have wound up with the Jets.

This is a scale I wound up with a while ago.

*The higher on the list, the more I value this asset

1. Pass Accuracy
    2. Pass Velocity
    3. Pass Strength
    4. Ability to Read Defenses
    5. Awareness (of Pass-Rush)
    6. Intangibles (Leader, Reaction to pressure situations)
    7. Mechanics
    8. Height
    9. Collegiate/Pro Production (Win-Loss Record, Surrounding Talent, Injury Record)
    10. Weight

For my more in-depth analysis of how I grade a Quarterback, click here:

In-Depth Quarterback Analysis

1. Different from what others tell me, I feel Clemens? has the all too common problem that many young Quarterbacks have, he under throws his receivers over the middle causing them to open up and decelerate rather than catch the balls in stride. In the NFL where LB?s are more instinctive those balls will be interceptions and in-completions. He does throw well on the deep seams if thrown at a more acute angle but he may let a few throws loft and float requiring large receivers such as a Terrell Owens or Randy Moss to fight for the jump ball. He throws the comeback route extremely well. He is a very good passer on the outside portions of the field, constantly leading the receiver where he can only get the ball. He has great underneath passing skills as he has an 86% completion percentage.

2. For those who love the ?gun-slinger? mentality Kellen Clemens is your man. He throws with great arm rotation over the head and throws very well on the outside. The biggest concern is that he does not step up into some throws causing for floaters. Jay Cutler (11th overall) has a very similar problem of stepping on his back foot. He does lose zip on the move because his pure physical arm strength is mediocre but combined with his flawless tight arm motion, he can inflate his pass velocity with ease.

3. Kellen Clemens? pure arm strength is nothing spectacular but he has enough power to make sure defense do not choke down underneath and consistently proves that safeties underneath will pay. He averages close to four big passes per game as per GM JR scouting services. He does throw the seam very well hitting the outside shoulder away from contact. Ron Jaworksi (NFL Analyst) showed a clip of Clemens? deep throw. Very impressive to watch.

4. Other than Matt Leinart, Clemens is the only other prospect that will have little trouble adjusting to the professional offense. He did play with in a shotgun formation for much of his senior year, but he also played in three different offenses since his tenure at Oregon. For years before, the Ducks ran a pro-style offense based on West Coast principles that required pre-snap coverage recognition, quick fluid drops timed with routes, pocket presence and the mental awareness to utilize multiple personnel, formation and play packages within single game plans. He does a very good job of finding second options. Clemens scored a 35 on in his Wonderlic test, the same amount as Leinart.

5. Clemens has a very good awareness of his surroundings, throwing most passes with great timing. He does get beat up a fair bit however milking as much time as he can possibly get. He has not been sacked often, but seems to be hit. In fact, some draft gurus state that he throws with people grabbing his legs. He is very good flushing out of the pocket and giving himself more time. He is by no means a Vince Young but can break a run every once in a while.

6. Clemens is in many ways like Tom Brady. A team captain, Clemens shows great presence in the huddle making the whole offense work well and he also never gets rattled during big game situations. In fact, he seems to play better as the pressure increases. He definitely fits the Eric Mangini mold of excellent character and leadership (hopefully leading the NY Jets to a Lombardi Trophy). He is also very tough playing through injuries.

7. Kellen Clemens? as Gil Brandt put it has the best mechanics of anyone in this draft, and that is saying something with prototype passer Matt Leinart. He consistently throws over his head with great arm rotation and hip movement. His throw has a nice spiral and moves like a flash. He has a very quick windup making it easy to take away the weakness of manifesting where he wants to go with the ball.

2. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Continued....

8. He is not very tall at only 6’2”. His mechanics however make up for his lack of height because his ball level is equivalent to most 6’4” Quarterbacks.

9. Taken from NFL Draft Exchange:
    PERSONAL
    Born Kellen Vincent Clemens on June 6, 1983 in Burns, Ore. Parents: John and Vicky Clemens. Family: Four sisters. High School (Coach): Burns (Terry Graham) ‘01. Major: Business Administration. Red shirt: 2001. HIGH SCHOOL The only player in state to attract Parade All-America attention ranked as third-best prep quarterback in country by Prep Star. The USA Today All-American and Oregon Gatorade Player-of-the-Year amassed seven of 10 votes on the Long Beach Press-Telegram’s Best in the West list in addition to Tacoma News Tribune Northwest Nuggets inclusion. Completed 218 of 395 passes for 3,464 yards and 37 touchdowns his senior year and rushed for 325 yards and 15 TDs. The first-team all-state safety (The Oregonian) collected 63 tackles and 12 interceptions final prep year after finishing with 11 picks as a junior. Three time first-team all-Greater Oregon League standout led Highlanders to 31-7 prep ledger and carried team to state championship game in 1999. Closed career throwing for state record 8,646 yards (610-1,112) and 102 TDs.

OREGON
    Since becoming the school’s youngest quarterback in 11 years to grab the starting reigns on a full-time basis (formerly Danny O’Neil, 1992), he begins junior year positioned within 1,100 yards of breaking into Ducks’ career top-10 ledger for yards passing. Displayed self-assurance both as a starter and in a relief role to lead team to victory, with a 2003 14-point turnaround in the final quarter vs. California triggering a renewed confidence. Enhanced weight workouts resulted in a stronger and quicker standout in the spring as his 308-lb. squat and 310-lb. bench press led all players at his position. Enters fall drills as the favorite to extend his streak of 13 consecutive starting assignments.

2003 • SOPHOMORE
    Assumed the role of starting quarterback in all 13 games and responded by throwing for more touchdown passes and yards than any Oregon sophomore ever (surpassing Dan Fouts—16 TDs, 2,390 yards, 1970). Also set single game school record for pass completion proficiency (88.2%, 15 of 17 passes) vs. Stanford, as well as was on the front end of passes to Demetrius Williams which tied for the sixth (86 yards at Mississippi State) and eighth-longest (85 yards to Washington) completions in school history. Since completing only one of his first six passes for 14 yards in the 10th game of the year vs. California, he proceeded to connect on 72-107 attempts (67.3%) for 774 yards and nine TDs the remainder of the year after re-entering the game with 6:35 to play. Capped the year ranked 10th on Oregon’s single season ledgers for passing yards and total offense (2,508 yards). Threw for 247 yards and three touchdowns in Oregon’s season opening win at Mississippi State and got better as the season wore on. Concluded the season by throwing for a collegiate-best 363 yards (32-42) and three touchdowns vs. Minnesota in the Sun Bowl. Seemed to thrive sharing time with senior Jason Fife as the duo led the Ducks to a 4-0 start, including a win over then-No. 3 Michigan in which Clemens completed 15 of 23 passes for 160 yards with no interceptions. Threw seven touchdowns in his first three starts and finished with two or more scoring passes in five games. Extended his string of 92 consecutive pass attempts without an errant aerial to open the season (through 4-plus appearances), and threw more than one interception in a single game only twice. Completed eight of 12 passes for 103 yards in the final quarter vs. California to secure his first come-from-behind victory. Led the Ducks to their second consecutive win the following week, completing 21-27 passes (77.8%) for 183 yards and two touchdowns at UCLA to earn team offensive-player-of-the-week accolades. With three touchdown passes and another running score in Oregon’s 34-20 win over Oregon State, Clemens accounted for four touchdowns for his first time as a collegian. Also added a career- best 64 yards rushing against the Beavers. Ended the season ranked 31st in the country in passing efficiency after rising to as high as fifth after three outings, 58th in total offense (192.9 avg.) and tied for 62nd nationally in completions per game (14.0 avg.)

2002 • FRESHMAN
    His potential and desire to be on the field were no more evident than when he challenged for the starting nod during ‘03 spring drills. Eventually settled in as Oregon’s backup in 2002, seeing action in five games. His steady performances off the bench led to a second-half start against Washington, as well as extended play in Oregon’s final game of the season versus Wake Forest. Came off the bench in the second quarter of the game and in second drive he completed six consecutive passes for 57 yards, including a 7-yard touchdown pass to Samie Parker. Finished the game as Oregon’s leading passer, completing 19-of-31 passes for 161 yards. Had his best drive of the season versus Portland State where he drove Oregon from its own 35-yard line with two completions of 12 yards, a season-long strike of 14 yards to tight end Tim Day, which set up Clemens’ lone touchdown pass of the season, and an eight yard completion to Nate LiaBraaten.

2001 • REDSHIRT
    Flourished as a scout team standout, earning contingent’s offensive player-of-the-week recognition for aiding preparations in wins over Wisconsin, Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon State.

10. He has very solid muscular development as he weight a compact 223 pounds. He has had injuries however.

3. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Wow good analysis how long did this take you? Or did you get this from something else because I see a click here that doesn't work or you forgot to delete it.

4. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

The History does not come from me...this was my work but I did take into account insight from GmJr scouting services, ESPN analysts, and others...

I also based it on the brief tape I have seen on him...

5. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Oh then In that case good analysis maybe you should do some on the other draftees. As a matter of fact I might do one on Washington. Err nevermind I dont have the material or the time to do so.

6. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

I did, I already have them, ill add em on...

7. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

add em on, I for one would like to see them.

As for Clemens prior to this year, does it worry you that he worked in a west coast based offense yet still had trouble hitting crosses and such in stride? I mean, that is the basis for the WC offense and all.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

:up: I'm impressed with the time and effort you put into this Arsenal. Kudos!!

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as we're not running a WCO again, I'm fairly comfortable with this new system. I'm pretty much done with the WCO in New Jersey. Lets move on to something different or at least innovative.

10. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

i would actually like to see your analysis on Brooks Bollinger.

11. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

thanks for putting this together...it was a nice read

12. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

Average at best, and that is being generous imo.

13. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

What a post! Terrific stuff.

14. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I really appreciate the amount of time put into your post, and I like that you aren't going to try and convince me that my eyes were lying to me when I saw Clemens play in college, and that he actually has the second strongest arm in the draft.

15. Warrior

Warrior Member

The one variable that you do not have down with regard to assessing a QB which I feel is a big + to have in the NFL - is a QBs release: The time it takes the QB to throw the ball after he decides to make the throw. If you look at the film Clemens has a ridiculously fast release. You don't realize it until you see other QBs.

16. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

where can we see clips of his game action???

17. Warrior

Warrior Member

Go to Newyorkjets.com then browse under News and click on Multimedia then click JetsTV then Draft 06. There's some other highlights out there, but not sure where.

18. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Go to yahoo.com click the sports icon and move to the NFL...it's pretty obvious after that

19. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Let's pray that we have our QB here.

20. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

Just informing you, nice read and put together nicely as well.

Your #10 is at the bottom of the 2nd page compared to right after #9 it follow the "Bio". Just figured I would let ya know so you can edit that.

Thanks for the read big Clemmens fan myself.

Youth?