Justin Miller- Law Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsTillDeath, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

just heard Law is officially gone, released that is. This makes me very excited about the prospect and potential in Justin Miller. He had a decent rookie year, and IMO under the instruction of Mangini and Corwin B. he will flourish. I think this kid has #1 Corner written all over him, he is quick, hits hard, plays very well in man. Those are the things you cannot teach, what you can teach is Zone Coverage, and experience will help him with his reads. I can deal with Barrett as the #2, with hopefully Strait competing for the next year. Maybe we can draft a corner with promise in the 3rd or fourth rounds. But all in all, i look forward to Miller starting for us for the next 8 years, lets hope anyways.

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Shave off another 11 million off the cap...

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

nice....cut chad or reconstruct and we are in business....that is after we get ride of J abe

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I like Miller. Since he won't have "cover 2" crap shoveled to him, he has a fighitng chance to be good.

It will be interesting to see what guys that remain on the team have break out years.

5. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

And also see if Coles, DRob or even Ellis wil re-structure.

And cutting Kendall shaves off another 3 million.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If we get another first round pick due to Abe, we are in the driver seat.

7. lude

lude New Member

Miller certainly has the potential, Him and a healthy Barrett should be able to handle all but the upper echelon of receivers in the league. Give Miller some time, and they won't be an issue either.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i think we absolutely have to draft a CB in one of the later rounds -- maybe the Herm comp. pick? As it stands we now have 3 CB's capable of playing. Taking injuries into account, that simply is not enough and we need at least 1 more guy. Fortunately, Mangini has an eye for DB's, so i'm confident we'll get someone with either a lot of potential or somone who can immediately play.

cheers

9. Chaddaboy

Chaddaboy New Member

Miller needs to rub stickem on his fingers, not butter.

10. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

How about Derrick Strait? Does he have a chance to at least start at some point?

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Well he's in the final year of his rookie contract...I'd assume he get tendered next season. BUT, it would be nice if this coaching staff could get some potential out of Strait and compete for a starting job.

12. The Uniform Bomber

Strait is good but undersized and lacks the ideal speed you want from a CB. He's a good tackler and has a few seasons under his belt, so inexperience is no longer an issue. He's played well as NB for us and I can't recall him ever getting burned or giving up a huge play.

Having said that, I think he can compete for the #2 spot, but ultimately, it'll probably go to Barrett, with Miller as the #1. The only way I see Strait overtaking Barrett is if Barrett starts slowly once again this year (which he seemingly does every season). At this point, it's inexcusable for him to wait 8 weeks to play at a higher level; and I believe Mangini will draw a line sooner than later.

cheers

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We don't have long to go, we are not going to be as bad as people are making us out to be. As long as we don't have to cut too many more guys we'll be competitive- not a contender but competitive.

14. The U

The U Member

Yep this is defidently exciting....Miller has a lot of talent and hits extremely hard.

15. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

All I want i the start of a new foundation. I want to get some rookies in here and see how some of younger players (i.e. Cotcherry, Houston, Dressen, Askew, Jones, Thomas, Hobson, Strait, Miller, etc) step up if they can. Almost like how people thought about the Knicks before the start of the year.

Oh wonderful, look how great that turned out!

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Hello 3-13

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I agree. That slow start last year by Barrett was tough to watch. I wonder if his slow start had something to do with Ty Law's slow start and not having the secondary playing together for most of the preseason and camp. But I agree, I can't see mangini putting up with an 8 week absence from his starying corner. I think the starters will be Barrett and Miller with Straight manning the nickel. We still need to acquire 2 more corners in my book before the seasaon.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yeah, I could see this thing potentially working out pretty good for us. We could go into next year with a new QB, RB, at least half a new offensive line, and run stuffing NT at the very least.

Even if we didn't pick up a QB, because we are in rebuilding mode, and this will take more than one year, if we had to go most of the year with a combination of Chad/Bollinger, it would not be the end of the world.

19. The Uniform Bomber

totally agree. and with Barrett, it wasn't just this past year. even the prior year (when we lost in the Divisional playoff game), Barrett didn't start turning it on until the latter part of the season. from a vet, this type of play just shouldn't be permitted.

cheers

20. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Hey, ya never know, Chad can come back and be solid...When he plays, the Jets win a lot more than when he does not, simple stat.