Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Will move this to Draft Forum a few days after his Pro Day.

I for one, am looking forward to his pro day and commentary from our resident College QB gurus.

REVISion, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Forgive me as I've reposted this several times but I think they're good videos to review for those who have seen him play 10 quarters this year.

That's the 10th (Michigan) and 12th (Wisconsin) ranked pass defenses from 2019. 10th (Wisconsin) and 25th (Michigan) respectively in points allowed.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The throw at 0:22 in the second video stood out. Perfectly placed and where only the receiver could get it.

Pepsiguy5 and REVISion like this.
  4. Brook!

Look JV,

You are giving me hope. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can kill a man. If we end up picking Fields, what's his floor and what's his ceiling. Don't lie to me because I will believe! :)

@legler82 - You will be permabanned if we pick Fields and he flops. Just saying my friend. LOL

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Understood.

[​IMG]

#5 legler82, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  6. legler82

I’m still trying to figure out my comp but Dak is a common one I heard; I think he’s a better prospect than Dak was. I’ve also heard a bigger Russell Wilson.

Brook! likes this.
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He's going to spray it around like Hackenberg.

Pepsiguy5, ukjetsfan, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think a more athletic version of the 2017-2019 Carson Wentz is what I've seen. He does have some of the same hero ball tendencies in the two poor games he's played but I think that can easily be coached out in an offense that won't be so predicated on downfield/option route passing.

He also doesn't have the character deficiencies that Wentz has that has apparently made him uncoachable as well.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  9. Brook!

Give me Dak and I will be over the moon.

Give me Russel Wilson and I will run naked from my home all the way to Madison, NJ downtown. Those are great comps. But the guy holds onto the ball too long. Is this fixable? Great athlete, Unfazed when hit big time, can run, great arm, can make all the throws. But can he read defenses fast and make a quick decision and get rid of the ball quick.

Not going to lie. Based on my uneducated eye, Wilson comes off more sexy but his injury history, not enough years under his belt scares me a little.

Also, legler, do you still see Fields on par with Lawrence or you think Lawrence separated himself from the crowd?

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wish the kid a super successful day. Whomever we pick, if we do pick a QB at 2, need to be a homerun for us. Time to put the past in the rear view mirror

11. legler82

Those are the comps that’s out there. I haven’t settled on one yet. Still mulling that over. Talent wise I still see Fields on par with Trevor. In terms of the nuances of QB Trevor is ahead as he should be with more snaps under his belt.

Brook! likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Impressive for sure! I still like Wilson better, but would not be unhappy with Fields.

I remember watching the game against Wisconsin and thinking when OSU was behind, that Fields wasn't panicking and he was able to bring them back. That, plus the Clemson game - and to a lesser, but still positive extent against Alabama when he was obviously still hurt - showed me Fields' toughness and character. I went from being a Fields doubter to a Fields "supporter" after these games. Again though I just think Wilson and his intense preparation and the quickness he displays is a difference-maker for me.

13. legler82

I only saw hero ball against Indiana this year. That was the exception rather than the rule from my vantage point. He’s normally cautious, too cautious some might say.

IIMeanDeanII and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Actually Fields has less years, and almost less than half the pass attempts as Wilson.

PJ4Ever and boozer32 like this.
  15. Brook!

I know he has 3 years but he only has 1 year that he did really well which was his last year. That's my hestiance.

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. Fully expected he blows this out of the water. He's the type of athlete that shines in this setting.

alleycat9, barfolomew and legler82 like this.
  17. Brook!

Kurt.

Based on your observations and watching his tape can you help me with below questions?

1) His floor and ceiling in your opinion.
    2) His comps in your opinion.
    3) His upside against Wilson, his downside against Wilson.

Thanks,
    Friendly mod Brook!

18. ColoradoContrails

People are completely dismissing his first two years though. Mahomes played for losing teams his whole college career. Wilson had to beat out 15 other QBs his first year, and had to win back the starting job after his 2nd season. Joe Burrow only had one good year.

No offense, but people like you are simply listening/reading the pluses and minuses and not watching the film and film breakdowns and reading the background and then forming an opinion. I don't care who you're playing, being able to go into a situation where your team is down 4 and you're starting from your own 8 yard line with less than 35 seconds and no time outs, and driving them down field and completing the potential game winning pass with 3 seconds left that fails only because the receiver couldn't fall into the EZ is elite QB ability regardless of how many games he played or who he played against.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice catch CC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Brook!

Yeah CC. I admit. I don't watch college football and I don't even know how to figure out a good college QB from a bad one. That's why I rely on the football minds I trust. Their words carry more weight than any other film breakdown. In my opinion legler is a legend. He said Mahomes before anybody in the US. Forget TGG or anything. I heard about Mahomes from him well before previous NFL season was over.

When everybody was sucking the dick for Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, he was sticking up for Allen. He put his reputation on the line.

Jonathan Vilma is the only guy I will ever listen before I put down serious money for an NFL bet. He knows football more than 95% of entire TGG.

Kurt to me is the football god overall.

I also follow another Jet fan on Twitter and that guy is also super knowledgable.

All these 4 guys are saying Fields. And since I trust them more than myself or any other draft guy, I will root for Jets to pick Fields over Wilson. And if they are wrong, I will ban each one of them. Lol :)

Losmeister, Pepsiguy5, K'OB and 4 others like this.