Just wonderin'... 1968 AFL Championship game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 29, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I was just wonderin' how many folks here, were either at, or were old enough to watch the '68 Championship game, & Supe III. Me, I was at the game, as my dad's company had season's tickets at Shea... Sec 17 in the Mezzanine. I had no doubts they'd win (& the Supe too) , & I'm hopin' soon I'll be having that same confidence in this new incarnation of the Jets.

LAJet, SOJAZ, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm a little too young, but my dad was at the game. I never get tired of hearing stories about it.

burf likes this.
  3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

My family wasn't into sports until me and my younger brother got older. I don't remember SB 3. I was six. One day we were all reminiscing about the day the family drove to Andover NJ to choose our perennial family vacation site. My older brother says "yeah, that was the day of the Super Bowl. When we went out to a restaurant on the way home the game was on the TV in the other room"

I remember that very day, but not the Jets. Can you believe that? SO DAMN CLOSE!!! Maybe it explains my mental state...

burf and mrjet80 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I watched it (and the SB) on our B&W tv and was so excited! I had already sworn allegiance to the Jets (when they were still the Titans) and felt such smug satisfaction when they wiped the smug looks off the faces of my NFL-loving friends. I wish the AFL and NFL had never merged. I blame that for the turn to the "defense wins championships" mindset they adopted that he kept them from getting to another SB after all these years.

Noam, papapump, twown and 1 other person like this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I wonder what would of happened in ‘69 had the Jets found the EZ against KC and won. Would they have beaten Oakland out west? I’m pretty sure had they gotten to SB they would of beaten the Vikings they beat them in 1970 with that strong defense of theirs without Namath ….. seems they came pretty close to a repeat had they been able to gain that half yard vs KC….

Since1969 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was 11, with no memory of the big game. I was a country pumpkin far more into mini-bikes, dirt bikes, motocross. Couldn't understand how anyone could give a rats ass about football, or even cars, when there's a Honda Elsinore to be raced!!!

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now 65 with no memory :p:D

twown and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I watched it at bowling alley in New Rochelle. No home TV but signal came from CT. Great game!

papapump, twown and mrjet80 like this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I watched part of the game but it was pretty windy so I was sent outside to "turn" the antenna several times. Loved when the auto dial antenna turner came out !

Noam, burf, twown and 2 others like this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I was living within walking distance of Shea Stadium then.

I was only 4 years old though.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

'69 was when I started watching sports but for that 8 year old sports meant the Amazin' Mets.

'70 for the Jets because I needed something to watch after the Mets had failed to be Amazin' again.

12. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

My father bought season tickets to the Jets one year beforee they drafted Namath. We had tickets on the 35 yard line. Season tickets were around $60. I was at the Raiders Jets AFL Championship Game. I will always remember Maynards winning TD catch inn the corner of the end zone beating George Atkinson. Screamed so much at that game I lost my voice for a couple of days.

#12 CaptainCap, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I remember watching the Bowl. My parents had finally scraped up enough cash to buy a 24" Sony Trinitron Color TV!

Noam, ukjetsfan, twown and 2 others like this.
  14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Right with you CC

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Wow! man you guys were living large.

Noam, Cman68 and burf like this.
  16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

My family only had B&W TVs, so my dad & I went to an aunt nearby, to watch on her spankin' new-fangled color TV. I remember the game so vividly, & my dad at half-time telling me it was a 'moral victory' that they were leading at the half. I would have none of that, & vehemently protested.
    By the way, I have a decent copy of Supe III, which I watch every few years... also a watchable copy of the Championship game highlights. If anyone's interested, I can upload it somewhere. Amazing how the game's changed.

Brook! likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Do you have the whole game for Superbowl 3 with original commentary? Please upload man. I am dying to watch the whole thing.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Namath was awesome. I remember streaming the game on my i-watch!

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I was going to note that anyone in NYC who claimed to watch it live on TV is either mistaken, a liar, or had a good antenna that could pick up Connecticut stations, since it was blacked out in NYC. I listened on the radio, and watched the rebroadcast that night on channel 4.

What I heard:

As far as I know, no video exists of the complete game.

Watched the Super Bowl live on my aunt and uncle's color TV (we had one too, which my parents had bought in preparation for the 1968 Olympics, and I never would have agreed to go to their house if they hadn't had one).

20. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

One has to wonder why there is no TV broadcast available for a championship game. Wasn't the game broadcast nationwide, with the exception of the NY Metropolitan area? Kind of sus the way Lamonica completely shit the bed with multiple unforced errors in the final three drives.