Just A Little Concerned

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by UNWarCriminal, Mar 6, 2006.

1. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

Maybe someone can help me out here, but I'm wondering how letting Mawae go helps our offense. Yes, I know the new regime is going with a youth movement and dropping dead weight and salaries, and I'm all for that. I've agreed with every move the front office has made up until Mawae was released.

I could be wrong, and I know one of you will let me know where I'm off on this, but without Mawae, where is there any leadership at all on offense now? I'm sure someone will say Curtis Martin, but he's more of a "lead by example" type of personality (in my opinion). Even though he's on the downside of his career, he is an awesome presense and just one of the best damn centers in football. I hope Mangini and company have a plan. I like the youth movement, but you need some grisley old vets around the help the development of the younger players.

I think the Tuna understands that better than most. I just hope Mangini does as well.

2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

What Mangini needs in the locker room is a guy that's on his side. And he probably feels that Kevin isn't that player. So along with cutting a few bucks and an aging center who can't get the push in the Red-zone any more it tells the team that the new guy is in charge!

3. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

i wish we could have kept mawae.. i would much rather have him than kendall.. mawae is an all pro and kendall is just above average.. also, kendall costs a lot more and isnt nearly as good.. i guess it was just that mawae and mangini didnt get along.. thats too bad since mawae could really groom some OL such as mangold and jean-giles if we draft them...

4. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I love mawae but i doubt mawae liked mangini. And mawae is 35.

Our cap was horrible and now it is not.
    We have younger players and our oline just got that much younger.

The key to a very succesful offense is a cohesive and coherent Oline. And with a couple of years our oline can be great.

5. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

i just realized that mawae and mangini are the same age.. thats ridiculous

6. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

That sounds reasonable. Although you're right in saying he's an aging center, I think he is still better than Kendall (as well as cheaper) and he's the one player let go that I'm going to miss the most. He's a warrior. But having said that, you could very well be right about the reasons he was released.

7. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

I disagree with the move to Cut Mawae, he's one of the dirtiest players in the league, but also one of the best Centers. When Healthy Mawae is an asset to your franchise in every definition of the word. It wasn't cap reasons, that could have been worked out. Like the original poster said, maybe your coach wants youth - maybe he didn't like Mawae personally, but as far as on the field goes it was a mistake IMO.

You guys state that he's on the Downside of his career, and your probably right. You've also been saying that Zach is on the Downside of his career for a few years now and last season may have been the best of his career. If Mawae could have played for another year then he should have played that year with the Jets.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I think this 100% the reason behind cutting Mawae.

9. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I've been intrigued by this move for a while now and I think Mangini may well have someone in mind to replace Kevin

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I am almost sure had Mawae kept his mouth shut, he would still be here. It wasn't like he was the only guy asked to restructure. I think he is about to learn a hard lesson about money now too. Maybe he will wind up in Dallas with BP. I'm not sure who else will take him at this point. Not because he isn't good, because I still consider him one of the best centers in the league, but he isn't a kid, refuses to take less than he believes he is worth, and no one has any money right now. I'll miss him, but this is just a bad year to have a big mouth.

11. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

Mawae has had a great career but it is time to move on. He is 35 years old and coming off arm surgery. How good do you think he still is?

It might be the best thing for Kevin because the two best centers I saw play were Mike Webster and Jim Otto. They both played 15 years and Webster died young (brain damaged from football) and Otto has had so many hip and knee replacements he can barely walk.

12. I believe the major surgery was the deciding factor on letting Mawae go. He had a great career for the jets, but if ever there was a time to move on, it is now.

Let's rebuild the Ol once and for all. It starts would cutting our ties w/ an agin,depleted player.

13. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

I think that sums it up.

14. TITANS63

TITANS63 Banned

mawae is a goner

15. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

SHOCKING :breakdance:

I feel it was the right time to part ways with mawae. He was def'n falling off ability-wise and now he has the additional problem of recovering from a serious injury at 35. Let him decline elsewhere, let Kendall mentor the new guys, and lets start building towards the future by making decisions based on the best interests of the jets instead of sentiment.

Once again, I think its a good call.

16. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

His salary this year was meager 2.8 million this year, he'll get twice or three times that with another team as a signing bonus... A team that likely has a chance at the playoffs which the Jets don't offer. He shot his way out of Hofstra by not kissing up to Tannenbaum and Mangini.

I think he'll wind up with the Eagles or Dolphins

17. parafly

parafly New Member

Exactly. Also, I have a feeling that Mawae was one of the two players that talked smack about Chad a couple of weeks ago. Mangini probably found out about that and didn't want a player with that attitude on his new team.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't doubt he could easily demand a big payday. I mean in light of the current FA circumstances, I don't think there are many teams that are going to risk $5M+ on him. Not that he doesn't deserve it, I still think he can play very well, but with the cap situation for everyone in the state it is, I can't see him getting money he will be happy with.

Of course, his big mouth assured his ticket out of here.