JP Losman doubters... Read up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreenfightingmachine, Sep 20, 2006.

1. MeanGreenfightingmachine

Some QBs have been a pleasant surprise

By Adam Schefter
    NFL Analyst

(Sept. 19, 2006) -- Overlooked in the discussion of the surprising starts for Chicago's Rex Grossman and Minnesota's Brad Johnson is the improbable play of another quarterback.

During the first two weeks this season, no quarterbacks have made fewer mistakes than the formerly mistake-prone Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman.

J.P. Losman has completed 63.4 percent of his passes and has an 88.2 passer rating.
    Through two games -- and two tough road games, against two tough defenses, at New England and at Miami -- Losman has yet to turn over the football.

No interceptions, no fumbles, no glaring mistakes.

This is not accidental. For starters, Buffalo's new offensive coordinator, Steve Fairchild, has done a masterful job of prepping his new pupil.

The one thing Fairchild and the rest of the Bills coaching staff has done for Losman is slow down the game for him. It used to be that Losman rushed through everything -- his reads, his throws, his game. But not now. Now Losman is playing with poise, with patience, with purpose.

What also helped was the offseason tutorial session that Losman received from the knowledgeable broadcaster, Ron Jaworski. One day during the offseason, Losman spent seven consecutive hours poring through game film with Jaworki, picking his brain, doing what he could to pick up his game.

So far it has worked. Losman passed for only 83 yards against Miami, but the number of interceptions and fumbles was considerably lower. If that continues, so will Buffalo's winning ways.

2. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Yeah I have realized this as well and I actually looked into what we are doing to prepare for him and our defense is planning on doing the following:

- The defense will be wearing regular Jets jersey's but in the middle instead of the person's number it will have a picture of Brett Favre lying on a couch in a speedo.

Prediction: Jets 24 Bills: 3

#2 InChadWeTrust, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  3. allan1

allan1 Active Member

how many throws did Losman actually have to make in that Dolphin game? I remember a stat in the 4th where it showed he only attempted a handful of passes for only 60 something yards at that point late in the game. Seems like they took the ball out of his hands and dumbed down the offense.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Wow, who does Schefter owe a favour to for him to be writing that garbage? Losman has hardly thrown the ball and still can't break a 90 rating. He has less than 250 passing yards over TWO games and just the one touchdown pass. He hasn't been impressive, he just hasn't been involved.

5. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Worked great for Trent a few years ago.

6. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

He's looked awful...willis mcgahee is the bills ENTIRE offense.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yeah, sure, they can win like that, but it doesn't make Losman a top notch QB, same as it didn't make Dilfer a top notch QB.

EDIT: Pennington has a noodle arm

#7 ScotsJet, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  8. drownedjetsfan

drownedjetsfan New Member

In my opinion if the jets get the lead the bills are done , I don't believe J.P can win the game with his arm. Plus I really think that the Pats and Dolphins are overated (Don't You), the J.E.T.S have only played 2 regular season games in the new system and look extremely well coached, I also believe we can beat anyone. I would rather have smart players than star players , because it seems that great players come out of nowwhere with good coaching, I'm sure you know a ton of examples!

9. abdulsalaam

abdulsalaam New Member

I sort of like JP (full disclosure: Tulane alum), but wasn't it a "glaring mistake" to not avoid that safety in the NE game? Shouldn't you be aware of the goal line?

That being said, I think the kid has talent, and if given time, and an OL, he, Evans and McGahee could be a formidable offensive trio.

10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I just read the article.

He's still a younger Patrick Ramsey.

11. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

When this guy starts getting even 150 yard games then start talking, he can barely break 100 yards, come on this is a joke.

12. jjr62

jjr62 New Member

good lets trade them the older one for Mcgahee so they can have a set.:grin:

13. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

he always seemed, to me, to be a better tim couch

14. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

They ran the ball 3 straight times inside the 20 against the Dolphins in the 2nd quarter and settled for a field goal. Losman isn't turning the ball over because he's being handcuffed by the coaching staff. His turnovers will come.

15. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

This is a lot like the "Kordell Stewart for MVP" talk a few years back, when the Steelers overly simplified the playbook for Kordell. People were calling him the MVP and he had something like 14 TD passes that year. It was laughable.

Losman may become something, but he's not there yet. Had the Bills lost, the articles would be about the limitations of JP Losman. He's getting way too much credit here.

-X-

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Losman is the same player, just now, he has limitations by his team. He has'nt made a mistake yet? NO WAY? You only have 200yds within a 2 game span? Thought so.....

If Losman was playing a full game, and getting as many calls as a average QB gets in the league, he would have the same results as last year. He does not looked improved in any way to me.

Meh..

If Losman throws all over us, I will slam my head into a wall, or something....:buffaloblows:

17. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

So far it has worked. Losman passed for only 83 yards against Miami, but the number of interceptions and fumbles was considerably lower. If that continues, so will Buffalo's winning ways.

Thats pathetic. They should let him throw one pass, if he hopefully completes it he would have a great percentage wouldnt he, not to mention no fumbles and no ints. Seriously is this for real? If he 200+ yards in a game with that completion rate and no pics or Ints then we could talk. Man this is some F'ed up logic.

18. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

That analogy will work, but Couch never had an arm. Losman does.

19. MeanGreenfightingmachine

See, thats how ignorant you are. You should know a team before you completely dismiss them. Losman is a different player. His mechanics have been changed, he sits in the pocket and always keeps his eyes downfield instead of bringing them down and running at the first sign of trouble. He is more mature, confident and poised.

He has Lee Evans on one side and Peerless Price on the other. There is definately a deep threat there. Robert Royal and Josh Reed have been solid underneath, and Mcgahee has been getting some screens.

But don't look for the Bills to throw the ball much as they will run at your weak run stopping defense. This one will be the Willis Mcgahee show, but JP will get his fair share of passes somewhere between 15 and 20 maybe more depending on Mcgahee's success with the ground game. He will hit Lee or Peerless deep at least once.

Bills D a little too much for your offense, and the Bills offense just may be too much for your defense.

20. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

You sit there and speak about how Losman is a different player. How do you explain his safety in the 1st game? You can say it was due to poor blocking all you want, however that was Losman's fault, you have to be aware of your surroundings. Also, how do you explain the play of Losman in the 2nd quarter against the Dolphins when he was sacked and blantantly tried to fumble the ball 12 yards behind the line of srimmage. That's not smart quarterbacking. He was extremely lucky he didn't turn the ball over there.

The caoching staff realizes that Losman takes ridiculous chances and that's why they aren't letting him do too much outside of the occasional look down field when a receiver is covered man to man.