Journeyman Quarterback Salary

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There's a lot of opinion flying around Jetland about who, how and when for filling out the QB position on the Jets but the odds are two of the three spots are going to be taken by Petty and Hackenberg and a guy with some experience will come in to take the third spot. Chances are this guy is now a backup or his time as a starter elsewhere has expired - kind of like that Fitzpatrick guy.

Lots of names have been thrown around here and sometimes even offers of how much to pay. But barring some blockbuster deal where a great guy in his prime comes to town what will the guy be worth? Some guys want a placekeeper starter for a year or two, some want a semi-reliable clipboard carrier. There was a lot of talk last year that the Jets overpaid for what they got - hindsight is easy.

How much would you pay this guy? Forget about whether he gets here by trade or free agency and how much that might cost and no names please. I'm also interested to see if we can do this without any explanations about desires for Petty or Hackenberg or somebody else - we have threads going on already about those things. Just tell us how much you'd pay for a placekeeper or a clipboard guy for one year.

Like this:

Placekeeper: 15M

Clipboard Holder: 8M

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would you pay a veteran placekeeper $15M for a year of play? That's 10% of the cap and the guy is definitely not 10% of the value you are putting on the field, even at QB. The placekeepers who started last year were Ryan Fitzpatrick ($12M/overpaid by the Jets), Josh McCown ($5M/appropriately paid by the Browns as this is also a high end backups salary) and Case Keenum ($3.6M/placeholder for Goff by the Rams).

Veteran backups make $3-5M a year, assuming that's what their projection is. There were no backup QB's in the NFL making more than $5M last year.

If the Jets go get a veteran placekeeper who is projected just to start 2017 and no further they should be paying $8M tops for him, which is what they should have paid for Fitzpatrick last season.

If they sign a veteran backup they should be paying $3M-$5M depending on his qualifications.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nick Foles got paid 1.75M this year.

Seems like a bargain.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd go as high as a Fitzpatrick type of salary at $12-$14 million for Taylor or Glennon but that's about it. Neither are likely completely worth it, but I doubt the gentlemen on the hot seat want to go into 2017 with two unproven guys in Petty/Hackenberg, unless we use a high draft pick on another quarterback.

I'll repost my stat analysis of Tyrod Taylor because it seems fitting for this thread. He's a quality low turnover quarterback that doesn't light the world on fire. I could see us going 9-7 with him on the roster, in the right offense.

I'm also not going deeper than a 3 year deal with ideally say year one fully guaranteed and half of year two. Not sure if that gets a deal with these guys done though.

Outside of that, I'd throw $3-$4 million at a Hoyer/McCown type but no more. The idea is that we're in bad shape if either of those types of players were to play.

No Romo, no Cutler. Kirky will likely cost too much and I doubt he leaves Washington.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Br4d

If Mac and Bowles decide to go all-in on one of the pricey QB's next year it has to be with the understanding that if the Jets suck again next year they are both gone in the wash afterwards.

The Jets went with competitive rebuild in 2015 and the result going into 2017 is the team is worse than it was when they took over in 2015. There are more older players sitting around on the roster and the young talent is still centered on the defensive line, exactly where it was when they took over.

The Jets need to rebuild the team at this point and that means not signing veteran free agents who have one or maybe two more decent seasons in them before they go over the hill.

HomeoftheJets, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  6. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's a place keeper or a clip board holder, the max should be $5M. That leaves us plenty to work the free agent market or save it for the draft. Where we should be looking at OT's, OG's, and backup lineman. An edge rusher and a corner back will help.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course. But both Glennon and Taylor are still young enough to grow into competitive long-term players. I'm not jumping for joy at the thought of signing either of them but I also wouldn't be furious with the idea. I can't imagine us going into the year with Petty/Hack and say McCown for two guys whom are fighting for their jobs regardless of what Woody Johnson says.

It's also not necessarily what I want to do, moreso what I expect us to do. I want us to just play Petty & Hackenberg, find out if they're NFL players or not already and be done with it. It's what we should've done the entire second half of 2016 but we rode Fitzpatrick into the ground. We could've been halfway through the evaluation process with Petty and instead we're barely a quarter of the way there.

What I'd ideally like to do is get Watson, start Petty or Hack while Watson sits til mid season if not the whole season. I just don't think we'll go that route.

My friend's dad made a good point in that fans will come out to see a bad team if it's filled with youth and signs of a future. They will not come out to see a bad veteran team. Thinking about the Yankees past two years and how I'd likely guess that the attendance spikes up this year while everyone wants to see the kids grow. I just don't think. The dolt at the top realizes that.

#7 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It's obvious IMO that Mac has to make a move at QB..

I think it will be Glennon at around $8-9mil or a trade for AJ McCarron that will prob cost a 2nd rounder

9. Br4d

The 1996 Jets were more competitive going into the season with Neil O'Donnell at QB than the Jets would be going into the 2017 season with either of the above QB's. They still sucked, just like the Jets likely will with either of the above QB's.

You can't fix a bad roster by bringing in a last-piece-of-the-puzzle journeyman QB. The roster is going to drag him down much harder than he has any chance to raise it.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Well like I edited in. I don't agree with the route, it's just the way I envision us going.

If it were up to me I'm drafting the kid that was 27-2 the past two years at Clemson and carved up the best defense in college football in Watson in back to back years.

Drafting winners is half the battle at quarterback sometimes.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Basically, this ^

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If anyone is asking me to make a decision I would take this approach. Avoid the big names unless someone does something stupid. I am making an offer to Kirk Cousins is the Redskins are too dumb to lock him up but do not want to overpay for Glennon, etc.

I would also make a cap friendly offer to Romo if he is cut but would expect him to turn us down for a SB contender.

My strategy would be to find one or two guys with experience and upside. Give them a base salary of $1-3 million (if they end up as the #2 or #3 I could live with paying them that much), Also give them incentives for games started, wins, playoffs, pro bowl, etc. That way if they end up doing for us what Fitz did two years ago they get rewarded but only if we get results.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I've seen Foles mentioned a few times now. Is he likely to be available?

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We paid Favre $15M for one season 10 yrs ago. But we were one player away that year so it made sense. Now? Not so sure. We have a lot of holes.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He should be. I'm pretty sure he signed a one year deal with KC. Choice #1 for me is draft Watson, Choice #2 is sign Foles. Petty and Hackenberg can be backups but I don't see the point of giving them "a shot" and potentially wasting another season. Don't think Bowles and Mac would go that route either with their jobs on the line.

16. Br4d

I think the odds are good that Andy Reid and John Dorsey try to trade Alex Smith this off-season. Foles has one year left on his deal at $10.75M. He signed a split contract worth $1.75M the first year and $10.75M the second. He wouldn't likely have done that unless he and Reid had an understanding about this season.

westiedog1 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

So its either a one year deal and cut or Smith gets traded and Foles starts it seems. Can't see him getting that much to be a backup.

He interests me a lot more than the other FA alternatives. Still fairly young, decent record, some success and always looked decent to me - much more so than the likes of Taylor, Glennon, etc anyway.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Going with Petty and Hack would not be wasting the season. You can't seriously think this team is going anywhere in 2017. Regardless of Bowles trying to keep his job, Mac's sole purpose should be in developing the young players on the roster and determining who can help them going forward. That especially includes Petty and Hack. It's way too early to give up on either. You're smarter than that. Bringing in a JAG QB and making him the de facto starter and trying to win 9 games will not help this team at all in any way, shape or form. Not only would they be highly unlikely to with Bowles and his CS (assuming he is actually able to put one together), but they just don't have the talent.

By going with Petty and Hack it could be a win-win situation. If either develops and proves he can be the Jets QB of the future, it's a win. If neither develops, then they know that they have to start over at QB, so they won't waste any more time with them AND, they should be picking in the top 5 next season and have a very good chance to get a good QB in the 2018 draft. Of course it wouldn't be a win for Bowles unless Woody gave him another season or for those Jets fans who only care about each season as a separate entity and want to win as many games as possible.

If the Jets were to draft Watson, then they could have a 3-way competition for the starting job. Not having a veteran QB is suicide, however, and no way that Bowles would sit still for that. In addition, there's no telling who we will wind up with as OC and QB Coach, so relying on Petty, Hack and Watson (or another rookie) would probably be a disaster. They're almost going to have to bring in a vet. Then, if there's a QB they really like in the draft and take him, they'll either have to go with 4 QBs again, or seek to trade either Petty or Hack and release him if they can't find a trade partner.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's no sense in bringing in a veteran QB unless you think he can be the answer, e.g. Kirk Cousins or Tyrod Taylor. Otherwise we're wasting our time when we could be playing Petty, Hack, or a draft pick. No journeyman QB is going to help this team win.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

First of all I don't consider Foles a journeyman. I think he is a legitimate starter who ran into a philosophy change in Phila. Second, I don't think Bowles and Maccagnan have the luxury to spend a season to "find out" about Petty or Hackenberg. That may be what you and I would think is a logical approach to the coming season, but I think Woody wants them to put a winning team back on the field or at least a team with marked improvement. Don't think you can do that for certain with two question marks at QB.