Josh McDaniels might be heading back to the Pats

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by boshhemi487, Jan 6, 2012.

1. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

The Patriots have reportedly joined the Chiefs in reaching out to the Rams for permission to interview OC Josh McDaniels.
    Should the Rams land Jeff Fisher, McDaniels is out the door. He may be gone regardless of the next coach. It's worth nothing, though, that Sam Bradford is on record as saying he prefers McDaniels' Patriots scheme to the west coast offense he learned as a rookie. McDaniels remains on good terms with Bill Belichick in New England. Highly regarded Pats assistant, Brian Ferentz, is seen as too young for play-calling duties at just 29. Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch Jan 6 - 8:40 AM

2. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Aw damn it...

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lets sign him first!

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what has Josh done w/o Brady? Bradford was MUCH worse as a 2nd yr QB than as a rookie w/o him.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed. Watch O'Brien flop at Penn State without Brady.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He might anyway...he has 1 year at NE, hardly a proven track record.

7. nyjunc

The Belichick coaching tree is all flops, they all try to hard to be like him. he's a unique guy and not many(if any) ca pull that off besides him.

8. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I don't blame McDaniels for taking advantage of the Broncos' offer to be their HC, but he probably wasn't ready. I'd be happy to have him return. I just wish they'd bring in a defensive coordinator or a consultant to help on that side of the ball.

9. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

McDaniels is the most overrated coach in football. The Broncos and Rams were an absolute trainwreck under his watch.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

exactly.

the Patriots offense has been just as unstoppable since he left so it is hard to argue he was the catalyst and thus should be feared.

on the flipside, McDaniels hasn't done shit since he left, so it becomes pretty obvious that how good he looked was due the Patriots system.

good, go back to the Pats and hopefully he can interfere enough to disrupt that rhythm.

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Tom Brady should be getting a friggin commission for all the coordinators he has help elevate into head coaching positions when they were nowhere near prepared.

12. nyjunc

and for making BB a HOF HC bc/ he'd have been a DC again a LONG time ago if he didn't rescue his career and that franchise.

13. felker

felker Active Member

Ozzie Newsome, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz and Jim Schwartz aren't flops.

14. nyjunc

he doesn't get credit for Schwartz, Jim was a scout for Cle for 3 years in the 90s.

I can't recall how many games Ozzie won as a HC? he was in the front office, he's developing FO talent too?

Saban was a flop in the NFL, Ferentz has been too scared to come to the NFL. This is about NFL HC's, his coaching tree isn't exactly like Bill Walsh's.

15. felker

felker Active Member

And why doesn't he get credit for Schwartz? He was on BB's staff as an analyst. That's how BB got his start.

Newsome's slogan is "Right Player at the Right Price". I wonder where he got that from, hmmm?

Since when is success measured under the criterea of just NFL HC's?

And finally nobody said anything about comparing BB to any other person, including Walsh. That's just a red herring you are throwing in to try to disrupt the argument.

I am just challenging the stupid statement that everyone under BB's tree is a flop.

16. nyjunc

he was a scout, you don't get credit for every coach that was ever on a staff. I would give Jeff Fisher more credit, he coached under him for 10 seasons- 10 more seasons than he coached under BB.

Did Ozzie learn how not to do it under BB? BB was a complete failure in Cleveland. Either way this is about a COACHING TREE- an NFL coaching tree.

does Bruce Coslet get credit for Pete Carroll being a great college coach?

BB's coaching tree is awful, littered w/ NFL failure, when you have to reach to give him credit for Jim Schwartz you know it's an awful tree.

Let BB's work speak for itself, who cares if he developed other great coaches?

By the way, Saban had coached for almost 20 years before working w/ BB

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This is most of it, the game is played on the field. Belichick was 5-13 in New England before Mo Lewis knocked Drew Bledsoe out of the job.

Along those same lines to a lesser degree, see the coaches who looked smart when Chad Pennington was healthy. How did Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini and Tony Sparano fare once they didn't have him on the field?

18. nyjunc

I don't want to turn this into a Herm debate but Herm did lead us to the playoffs w/ Vinny as his starting QB.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

True, and I think Herm is the best of the three I mentioned, even got KC to the playoffs once. But he far and away had his most success when Pennington was there to run the offense and manage the clock.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the only thing that annoys me about mcdaniels going to NE is that it will probably lead to brandon lloyd going there as well to replace ochochinco