Josh Gordon Wants Back

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Greenday4537, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29329369/wr-josh-gordon-applies-reinstatement-nfl

So fun thing happened this year: No more suspensions for smoking weed.

A few months later, Josh Gordon applies for reinstatement into the NFL. While weed was banned, I wasn't a fan of bringing him in. It was obvious he would never stop smoking. But now that it's a non-issue, do we try to sign him for a minimal amount? Give Darnold a weapon to throw to? Gordon is drastically better than Robbie Anderson. Gordon has better hands, better route running. He's got speed. It might be time for us to take a chance on this guy.

egelband, Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thread 1,000 on josh Gordon! I didn’t think we would get there but the new cba opened the door.
    Now sign this blunt blazing beast!

MoWilkBeast, Cman68, joe and 2 others like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t know how many chances this guy is going to get and rightfully so. That being said if he comes with close to no guaranteed money on a one year deal... absolutely.

egelband and Linebacker712 like this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Throw him like $1.5 million or so, maybe a couple incentives. Worth a shot.

Royal Tee and egelband like this.
  5. Im an advocate for improving this WR corps by any & all means neccesary.

1.Low risk/High reward like Gordon
    2. Supplemental draft
    3.Trade for a proven commodity

All of the above if team is serious about fixing it

6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'm in on Gordon. He has been suspended for marijuana l. That's not a thing anymore. Let him back in an let him smoke as long as he can make big plays. If we can get him cheap this is a huge improvement and gives Mims time to grow.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mims needs time to sit and learn sure, but I wouldn't want to do it just because Gordon is here. Mims may not need to sit and learn. He may be ready to play day one. If so, imo he should play, not sit.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree. But there is a good chance Gordon on a cheap deal will get playing time over either Mims or Perriman. It's another shot at a decent wr core. Rotate the 3 and play the hot hand.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, if they sign Gordon, let Gordon, Mims and Perriman compete for pecking order. Whomever the top 2 WRs are get the majority of the snaps, regardless of experience.

PJ4Ever, egelband and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Douglas had the chance to claim Gordon last year and we didn't so I don't think we should expect him to sign him this year. Who knows what's changed between now and then though.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Hes been suspended for Marijuana, Alchohol , Codine , tranquilizers and PEDs. He will still be in Stage 3. He doesn't get a clean slate. Marijuana is still a thing, it's been lessened , higher threshold but first positive puts you in stage 1 of leagues protocol, ,4th gets 4 game fine and suspension, 5th 10 games, stage 3 of the protocol. Any positive test after that is a full season.
    Gordon will be frequently tested , like Bell last year and any substance, including marijuana will result in a full year suspension.
    Its sadly not a matter of if he will be suspended again, it's just a matter of when.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I would bring him in. I would bring OBJ in as well. Fuck it. Take the risk. Greg Williams will give us a championship caliber defense anyway. Sam will be in his 3rd year. Offensive Line is fortified. We have Bell in RB position. Bring 2 high risk high reward WR's and take a chance.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Gordon would'nt cost any future capital but would have a negative effect on the overall team chemistry long term. He cant be expected to last a full season, it's not like a first or second chance, this will be #7 in the NFL, he had multiple suspensions in High School and college, kicked out of multiple schools. His problems are habitual. His practice reps would be better served going to the WRs we can expect to be on the roster for the entire season.
    How much draft capital are you willing to give up for OBJ? Realistically, what is your trade offer for Beckham ( he has 4 years left on his contract, no dead money )

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ah, The Thread Master. Nice.
    This sounds like Puppy Training Class at PetSmart. Teach your puppy basic commands! Sit, learn, stay, come, get the ball! Great. Now I'm picturing Denzel Mims walking around my local PetSmart all kinds of confused because he should be in Florham Park.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Josh Gordon had his shot with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks already. He's not going to magically return to his 2013 version. Five years ago I would've heard the argument. Now he's shot.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

Wait! Never lose an opportunity to quote yourself, jeto, just to annoy @FJF:

Coronavirus Quarantine a/k/a What I Did on My Quarantine Vacation Thread

My work is done here.

#16 jetophile, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Brook! likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I mean the guy had a pretty good 2018 with Brady. In only 11 games he had 40/720/3. Over a full 16 game season thats 58/1047/5. He was even on a decent pace in 2019 before things went to shit mentally for him.

My concerns with Gordon have absolutely nothing to do with his physical ability as a receiver.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. And even with solid production they shipped him out of town and he continued to violate the rules. The rules were bullshit, but that doesn't mean for the sake of making millions of dollars, you shouldn't do everything you can to follow them.

I forever will think he got a raw deal. Forget the failed drug tests; the guy had a couple beers and kept getting yearly suspended over stuff like that. Regardless, he should've shown enough restraint if he wanted to be a million dollar professional athlete.

No thanks for Sam. We've had a culture problem here since the Santonio Holmes Miami game. It needs to be built the right way now.

19. BroadwayAaron

I took “he’s shot“ as commentary on his physical ability. I agree that he’s a train wreck that needs to focus on life way more than he does football and I also agree that he got a raw deal a couple of times. Im also perfectly fine if we want to take a very low risk high reward shot on him. I don’t think he’s a culture killer, I think he has personal issues.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. I mean I pretty much combine everything when I say he's shot. He's also 29 and heading to the wide receiver graveyard territory sooner than later. I don't think the less tread on the tires argument really applies when you're talking about the physical depletion the human body starts to experience (in football terms) as skill position players enter their 30's. My point was if he couldn't stick with a franchise that has HOF quarterbacks I don't want him anywhere near my fragile 23 year old QB.

I think he could potentially have another couple semi-productive NFL seasons left in him. But I don't think it's worth it anymore in all honesty for him.