John Conner

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ace_o_spades, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

No not
    [​IMG]

but fullback from Kentucky...draft experts who is this kid and should we be excited?

2. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

3. K14Howard

K14Howard Banned

Projected late round/UFA

I want Myron Rolle

4. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Rated best FB, good one dimensional, run blocking guy. Very arguable if hes worth Leon and a 7th. The winning argument would be that no, he is not.

5. DBWarren23

DBWarren23 Active Member

best lead blocking prospect in years

and a special teams beast

and hes got a cool nickname

epic win

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Give it a rest, man. Go take a break or something.

You're getting upset about the Jets drafting a player that the front office and coaching staff obviously WANTED.

Conner will have an immediate role on this team as a special teamer and as a situational blocker.

Leon Washington can't even pass a physical right now. That's why he has no value. I said it before and I'll say it again: Leon Washington was done with the Jets before Joe McKnight was selected.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

[YOUTUBE]D_7vVOnpyJY[/YOUTUBE]

8. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

This is why I'm becoming more okay with the pick.

I'm curious to know though, how likely was it that he wouldn't have made it the 6th round? Perhaps we could have salvaged out 7th?

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

They probably had some inside information about where Conner would get selected.

We wanted to jump up to grab him for a reason. I have a feeling this pick was all about special teams.

I'd rather draft players in the later rounds that are going to contribute rather than guys that won't make the team. This is a solid draft choice.

10. DBWarren23

DBWarren23 Active Member

a 7th is essentially the same as a UDFA, most of the guys never pan out anyway, i dont care about 7ths

11. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Great blocking fullback, best in the draft, but a tough SY/GL runner and can catch the ball as well.

More from Rob Rang (CBS/NFLDraftScout) ...

FB JOHN CONNER (5' 11"/246)

Conner's blocking ability helped him set a career record by playing in 53 games for the Wildcats.

Called the "best blocking back" in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) by the Birmingham News, his crunching blocks led teammates to nickname him "The Terminator"

ANALYSIS

Inside: Bullish runner who doesn't waste time looking for the big play. Good lower leg drive and forward body lean to get the tough yards. Runs with good pad level and keeps his feet driving to generate as much yardage as possible. Good ball security. Keeps both arms locked around the ball. Has enough wiggle to surprise the unsuspecting defender and can gain yardage in chunks.

Outside: Typical fullback. Lacks the speed to beat linebackers to the edge and has only marginal agility to elude.

Breaking tackles: Tough back to bring down as he keeps his feet moving and runs with good pad level. Doesn't offer much more than the helmet, shoulder and knees pads for the defender to target. A determined runner who will become a coach and fan favorite due to his second- and third-effort runs.

Blocking: Old-school traditional lead blocker willing to sell out to knock the linebacker out of the hole. Good size, explosiveness and accuracy to clear the way. Athletic enough to adjust in the open field to hit the moving target. Keeps his head on a swivel in pass protection and blocks inside-out. Aggressive in pass protection. Will take on the bigger man and holds up surprisingly well due to his accurate hand placement, use of leverage and determination. Accurate, reliable cut-blocker.

Receiving: Soft, reliable hands. Will allow the ball to get into his pads, but is quick to secure the pass. Shows the ability to extend his arms and pluck the ball out of the air. Appears to have enough athleticism to handle more complicated routes, but was typically used only on short to intermediate dump passes and the occasional screen.

Intangibles: A former walk-on who is well respected by coaches, peers and fans for his physicality, toughness and consistency. Played in a school-record 54 games over his career. Team captain. Also plays extensively on special teams.

Nicknamed "The Terminator" by his teammates.

====

Talking about Conner's draft prospects after the season, new Kentucky head coach Joker Phillips stated, "John does all the things that NFL teams ask their fullbacks to do. He blocks. He catches the ball. And when you need him to make a carry in short yardage, he almost always picks up first downs. He's going to have a long career in the league. "

#11 Jabba the Jet, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sweet, three John Conner threads.

13. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Thanks for the scouting report, Jabba. It sounds like a wonderful pick that fits the mission of the franchise very well.

This wraps up what I believe was another feather in the cap of the Tannenbaum regime.

14. RevisChrist

RevisChrist New Member

I like the pick and will be a very good fb for years to come. He has a great mentor in Tony Richardson who will help him develop his skills.

15. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

I doubt it was his crushing and punishing blocks that prompted his teammates to call him "The Terminator". Just a hunch.

16. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I really like the pick. Though T-Rich has been great, I miss having a fullback that can do more than just block, and I believe they see potential in Conner. People say he was just a fullback, but at least he seemed to be the guy that most regarded as the best FB prospect out there.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I've been defending this pick for ours. Richardson's got that spot locked down until he retires. For now, John Conner will be an absolute beast on our kickoff coverage unit.

18. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

People forget that late round picks used on needs doesn't mean that the need will be filled. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be used on needs, of course they should, but I can definitely understand drafting towards a strength to make sure it stays a strength. The Jets offense REQUIRES a powerful, borderline dominant FB, and Conner can be that guy. Jet Fullbacks have to be maulers.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

When Morgan Newton became their quarterback, Kentucky spent a ton of time in the shotgun and in the Wildcat. They focused on getting the ball into the hands of their playmakers...guys like Randall Cobb and Derrick Locke.

Before Newton though, when Mike Hartline was their QB, the Wildcats ran a more traditional offense.

People can't find any video on this kid, right? Well, I started searching for videos of their more exciting playmakers and I came across this Locke TD run against Carolina.

John Conner knocks Eric Norwood on his ass and Locke runs in for the score:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j71c5XjGaQ[/youtube]

I also just found a clip of John Conner taking out two Georgia players that led to a TD run (starts @ 33 seconds) and (@ 1:26) Conner opens a hole on a goalline TD:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKQmSLObIY[/youtube]

#19 Mr Electric, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I'm starting to come around to this draft class.