Joe Douglas Press Conference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I encourage everyone to listen to this.

As much as I hate this franchise right now, Joe Douglas is giving me a small sliver of hope that he can turn this ship around.

Good context on the trade talks today also.

2. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

When your best defensive player thinks he is betrayed by the team the GM is not doing a good job. Douglas is starting to add concerns about his GM ability. His endorsement today of Gase…We are dead last in offense or close to it

SOJAZ, Cman68, BacktoQueens and 2 others like this.
  3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Everytime he said "We can all do a better job" you know he was thinking "Especially Gase"

SOJAZ, Cman68, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Well there's no way he can fuck up a draft more than Idiotzik and Dumbcagnan, right? RIGHT?!

sackexchange, NYJetsO12 and Stagman like this.
  5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

"Hold my beer, and watch this," Joe Douglas, 2019.

(I hope I'm wrong). What worries me is that because Gase was apparently instrumental in getting Douglas this job and given Douglas' praise for Gase at the press conference, Douglas may act as Gase's proxy, and Gase will run the draft.

#5 Since1969, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    SOJAZ, Cman68, BacktoQueens and 3 others like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's come out that Dallas called Douglas about Adams. Douglas stated he didn't put those guys our there but you're taught to have convo, nothing wrong with that. I expect this to blow over between Joe and Jamal.

NYJetsO12 and mute like this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I expected him to say he was hoping to get good deals and wanted to trade Adams and Bell and rebuild......what exactly did you expect him to say?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I actually buy what he said because it makes sense to me

Listen to offers if something blows you away being that we’re 1-6 but it’s not like we’re necessarily trying to tear everything down

Each player has their own situation with regards to value, future here, etc

9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

So I called it

a whole lot of nothing

cliches and baloney

whatever- I like Douglas so I’m not mad

Just puked a little when he said 2 things

1. that Gase is a good coach
    2. The team was competitive

other than that, yawn

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Exactly ----I listened to JD on the Kaye show and walked away alot less enthused about JD. His endorsement of Gase made me ill

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Douglas can't prevent young players from being immature assholes. Douglas sat down with Adams last week and told him that they had no intentions of trading him, that he was in their plans, and was here to stay. Adams chose to listen to media speculation, and if he's being truthful, lies from his agent. Then he tried to make Douglas look bad and like a liar by claiming that Douglas lied to him. It makes no sense why Douglas would lie to him. If he wanted to get rid of Adams, Adams would be gone. Douglas said in the press conference that he was going to reach out to Adams again. Hopefully, Bell will too and they will be able to talk some sense into his stupid head. If not, they can ship his out before the draft. I no longer care. As far as I'm concerned, if he stays, he has to keep his freaking mouth shut, stay off of social media, and focus on getting better, contribute more on the field, and quit being an attention whore and whiny little bitch. If not, then fuck him, he can go play in semi-pro ball or whatever the next minor league will be.

#11 NCJetsfan, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    chandler and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah when Douglas explained it then it made perfect sense. This is a 1-6 team that has a ton of holes and Douglas would have to be dumb not to entertain offers on almost all players. As he explained though, they are not having a "fire sale" and giving away players for nothing. For example Robby for a 4th would likely create a bigger hole on this team than a 4th rounder could fill. He did the right thing a got good value for Leonard Williams and stuck to his guns on the value for everyone else.

I feel Jamal was being a bit immature when he got all bent out of shape about hearing that they were looking to deal him. From his own tweets he didnt say that Douglas and/or Gase promised him that they would keep him a Jet for life. This is a business and Jamal should know that. Even so, they were offered a 1st rounder + more for him and they turned it down. If anything they showed he is worth more to them than that.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, chandler and 2 others like this.
  13. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

What is he supposed to say the truth? Yeah he sucks I was expecting better from him. If we end up going 1-15, 2-14 and the owner wants Gase gone, my fear is that JD tries to change his mind. That would piss me off.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Take another listen to the conference here, though. Every time the subject was Gase (at least three times) the response was some version of "yada, yada, yada but we all have work to do." I see very little strength in what you see as an endorsement.

I'd be interested to hear if his words on Kay were much different.

#14 Ralebird, Oct 30, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Hard to be naive at 51, but I genuinely believe Joe Douglas on this issue. He seems to be very sincere and doesn't come across as a stammering idiot like Idzik, or sleazy used car salesman Tannenbaum. I hated the Gase hire, still do, but if he was truly behind Mac getting the boot and the Jets getting Douglas then that will be his legacy with the team. My hope is he isn't around to see the Douglas hire come to fruition...

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Seems like a genuine guy.

Wish the reporters didn’t toss him softballs though.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The one positive I take from the press conference was Douglas' endorsement of Gase. Normally when an owner or GM has to publicly endorse the coach it means the coach is close to being fired. Hopefully. That is the case and the GM thumb of approval is the kiss of death for Gase.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They asked Douglas "are you satisfied with your coach" and maybe I would have a different answer as I would say " I am never satisfied , I always feel we can do better and improve or be better Mine and Adam Gase' record speaks for itself we are 1 - 6 and thats unacceptable " thats what I want or would like to hear instead we got the generic answers and JD answered the question like this = " Nothing has changed in my opinion on Adam I feel Adam is a very good coach and a very good communicator " . Now maybe some people out there like this answer , I dont as I have eyes and I have seen enough of Gase. I saw him in Miami and yes after 7 games I cant be sold I have seen more than enough of Adam Gase but JD and Adam are tied at the hip and like it or not truth is JD got the job because of Gase end of story. I am very skeptical I hope JD can improve this team and does a great job but again = SHOW ME as I will not follow Gase or Douglas blindly

#18 CBG, Oct 30, 2019
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I posted above what I think he should say or what I as a fan would want to hear and that is " I am never satisfied , I always feel we can do better and improve or be better ,Mine and Adam Gase' record speaks for itself we are 1 - 6 and thats unacceptable " If JD improves the team and they can win even with Adam Gase I will put statues of both of them in my yard, that said if JD wants to support his coach I get it but if he is tied to Gase at the hip then the coach will be an anchor to JD and he will not succeed go ahead Joe Douglas prove me wrong I would like nothing better than to eat crow BUT Adam Gase and his history tell me I am sadly right

#19 CBG, Oct 30, 2019
    SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's remarkable how this fan base is never satisfied with anything.

Joe Douglas did EXACTLY what any high ranking professional would do. He went out to the public and expressed his disappointment with the way the season has gone, showed optimism for what is possible, accepted the need to protect their franchise QB, and when asked about his current Head Coach, responded with a professional answer despite his possible dissatisfaction.

Imagine if an employee was struggling and the boss went out in a company meeting and said he's not happy with the said employee and the company deserves better. Talk about destroying someone's character and immediately placing a red flag on that company for future employees.

There's a right and wrong way to approach these issues in the public sphere. The problem is, technology has made more things public than should be. Douglas held strong in his public appearance, which I support 1000%.

He will express his dissatisfaction behind closed doors with the individual he is dissatisfied with and with ownership. Expressing that in public is both irresponsible and paints a bad picture for him as a boss and General Manager.