Joe Douglas Pre-Draft Press Conference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 23, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

few notes

1) said there are 10 players they would be happy to walk away with any 2 of them (picks 4 and 10)

2) said you take BPA regardless of position (a luxury today could be a need tomorrow)

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks for posting.

GasedAndConfused and Red Menace like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The main reason you take BPA is that you need the best players to win consistently regardless of position.

A very good player at a position of need is worth much less than a superstar at a random position.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem with BPA is that nobody really knows who the BPA is, so it just turns into the GM and scouts circlejerking each other into falling in love with a guy.

6. Br4d

The real problem with BPA is the combine. Specifically the tendency of people to promote athletes running around in their skivvies based on silly drills that aren't going to mean anything when somebody hits them hard on the field.

The combine should be used to devalue players and not raise them. Any ladder climbing that happens at the combine should be purely due to other players getting knocked lower on the ladder.

I'm all for a combine in which they run drills with players getting hit hard by wiffle bats as they do. Would be great entertainment if nothing else.

Just as an add here: why do they have players lift weights but not run on treadmills? Strength is good but pretty useless in the absence of endurance.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, #2 made me think Ikem Ekwonu is really high on the Jets board and a likely pick at #4. I really don't want O-line there because there are so many other positions that need more help on the Jets, but I get JD's vision.

Now that we are 5 days away, I think I would go Pass rusher at 4, WR at 10 and then add an OL at 35 and a CB/S at 38. We will see.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I believe the plan A is to go Edge at #4, but it all depends on the person who is there. If Hutch and KT are gone, do you still go Edge at #4? If so, then who? J Johnson? He is good, but is he THAT good? On the flip side you may have absolute premier talent at Tackle with Ickey and Neal, and possibly a choice between two. If either one of them goes #1, I don't think anyone would say it's a reach either, and we can get one at 4. If JJ on the other hand goes #1, everyone would call Jags crazy. Similarly if JJ goes #10-15, people would say, this is about where he belongs. If Neal goes #10-15, consensus would be it is an absolute steal.

So, If Neal is #1 type of player, and JJ is #10 type of player, I think JD goes Neal/Ickey at #4. Lack of positional need? To some degree, but Fant, while not a back-up any more, is not some star, and if Becton gets a small injury again, which keeps him out for most of the year, and we have to use another average/below average player to pair with Fant, who is also an average starter, we are not doing so well. We are not set at Tackle yet. The point is this is what I believe JD was referring to when he quoted that a luxury today may be a need tomorrow, so you take BPA.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting…

with respect to Becton…man I am OVER him. Too many injuries…out of shape…not participating in voluntary workouts…just does not scream dedication or WANT TO to me. I’d absolutely draft an OT early and either move Becton for a reasonable haul or keep him as insurance because I would NOT be comfortable relying on him to start 16 games. Just so disappointing.

mrmajix and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The more I listen to him the more I value his football insight. We are lucky to have him. Unfortunately one year too late.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i believe JD has his list of the top 4 in his opinion and will take whichever is ranked highest for him at 4. I do think we'll add an edge and WR and DT but we have other picks for that depending how it falls. I wouldn't be suprised with ekwonu at 4 and hamilton at 10 and then a WR at 35 and an edge at 38.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would be surprised with Hamilton at 10. He's just not a "unicorn", and we have bigger holes to fill.

13. Br4d

Matt Millen talked a great game. Not surprising given he was a retired football player who became a broadcaster before the Lions hired him as Exec VP.

Some times you can sound like you're on the yellow brick road but in fact you're totally lost in the woods. It's only when the losses pile up that this becomes clear.

REVISion likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I certainly hope you are wrong on this with JD. I expect a significant improvement this year with meaningful games in December and not worrying about how high we will pick in the draft once again.

Borat likes this.
  15. Br4d

I hope I am wrong also but I'm firmly in the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" camp at this point in my life.

With the Jets we're on the 4th or 5th fool cycle in a row at this point.

REVISion and LAJet like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Looks like we are thinking alike GaC.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/wewantsapps-2022-mock-draft.97353/#post-4198890

17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

It is a weird draft, I wish we had all of these picks next yr. That being said I think our picks in the 30s will be as much studs as our 2 top ten picks

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Correct, and we do have a pretty good idea of which positions are most important.

So you think it's possible for most GMs to consistently and accurately assess who the best players are in each draft? And that every position contributes to winning and losing equally?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Point No. 2 just reaffirms my belief that Ekownu is absolutely in play at pick #4 and possibly ahead of KT or Walker on their board.

20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t find it true what JD is saying. If One of the QB is rated their highest BPA come pick number 10, they are going to grab a QB because he is the next BPA? Doubtful. I think some positions do matter. And supposed they grab Sauce at 4, and if Stingley is still available at 20 and is the Jets next BPA available, are they reallly going to grab 2 CBs regardless the positions?