Joe Douglas Conference Call Notes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 1, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Massive tweet bomb incoming:

#1 BroadwayAaron, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. BroadwayAaron

3. BroadwayAaron

4. BroadwayAaron

5. BroadwayAaron

Quick thoughts:

-These one year deals were not Douglas's choice. I guarantee the new CBA next year affected that. We're going to have to extend these guys during the season because the open market is going to be nuts.

-I don't think you can pencil in Fant or Edoga at either tackle spot with the way Douglas was talking about versatility. I think you have McGovern at C, Van Roten at RG and then a free for all.

-Doesn't sound like we're in the market for Clowney unless Douglas is playing some serious hard ball.

-We did our due diligence on Hopkins but couldn't match that offer? Annoying. Glad we passed on the Diggs trade considering what Buffalo gave up.

-Sounds like Quincy is toast.

-That Doctson, Berrios and Smith tweet almost made me vomit.

-I still have absolutely no idea what we are doing at 11 but it will absolutely be the best OL or WR available.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think Joe didn’t want to expose his thinking for the draft. If he didn’t talk up Smith, it would make it more obvious that the Jets want a WR, even if it’s PAINFULLY obvious the Jets have a need at WR lol

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed, he's already catching heat for the comments from the Twitter experts as if he's supposed to tip his hand.

8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Why tip his hand when the homeless man who reads last weeks newspaper knows that the jets need a tackle.

If we had fitzpatrick as qb thats different, but you protect a young qb more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks @BroadwaySam for all the tweets. I like what I hear from him. I hope he has a good draft. Missed the excitement of playoffs dearly.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As expected. Up front without giving details. He said plenty more about Q than I expected. No criticism from me over some simplistic tweets by the press on a number of questions on specific players. He said nothing what’s so ever different than any other good GM would say. You don’t tip your hand one bit, one way or the other, be it the real reason for contract value, picks, specific targets and misses. And above all you do praise those you have in your roster in public. You don’t throw your own players under the bus.
    Yeh, every body knows we need OL help, as we need a WR, and an edge rusher, and a corner. What were some expecting for him to say “ All being equal LT is our pick over WR, every one knows that” because that would be false, or “ Smith was not who we really wanted, but we are not done yet ” or “ we didn’t want to financially strap this organization once again while we are still starting to build the foundation?

#10 LAJet, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    egelband likes this.
  11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Q is not playing this year, or at all. I fully expect the guy to retire. A shame, but to me, it's time to move on.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They are staying true to their word. The Jets are absolutely bringing in players who can play multiple positions.

Additionally, it sounds like they are valuing character guys for locker room cohesion.

If I can read the tea leaves, it seems as though if the Jets stay at 11, they will be taking WR help for Sam.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's definitely time to move on for both parties. He's nuts if he wants to play again. The next time his neck gets injured, it could be his life or he could wind up paralyzed.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I think Douglas would prefer taking one of the OTs, I don't think one of the top 4 will still be there at #11, or if one is, Douglas won't like him and will realize that an elite WR prospect has more value than a good OT prospect. Whether by choice or luck of the draw, unless we trade down and take Jones, I think our #1 pick will be a WR.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sounds like an OT heavy draft to me.

egelband, FJF and BradysTornACL like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Sounded to me like he was talking about the fact they signed 4 OL in free agency and retained another personally.

17. 101GangGreen101

This question was directed towards the draft.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Frankly, I know we all look forward to the draft under normal circumstances, but we really need a break from all of this stuff.

I can't wait for it.

If we take Jeudy or Lamb, that's my next jersey.

19. BroadwayAaron

The only context I can find for the quote is him saying that while mentioning the people they’ve added.

20. 101GangGreen101

Also that presser to me says Fant is not a lock at starting this year should we get an Andrew Thomas.

BradysTornACL likes this.