Joe D Makes His Mark

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I really can't explain the feeling now that this draft is over. From the day we hired Douglas, I felt like we made the right move. Every day as the offseason went on, more and more continued to happen that helped solidify my opinion. But even after all of that, the draft was still approaching and I knew, as we all do, that this would be his biggest test.

It's hard for me to grade the picks in the immediate aftermath. It's hard to evaluate how a players talent will translate in the NFL or how he will be used in our system, but one thing rings true after today, I still feel like things are just right. The moves Douglas made over the past few days have been everything we could have asked for. Whether you think the players were the right pick or not, the approach was exactly what we needed and the picks addressed every hole.

We are approaching the begging of the season with an entirely revamped offensive line that is young, aggressive, and downright nasty. We have a few nice new weapons for Darnold, including a rookie receiver who will be a day one starter and a bruising back to match perfectly well with Bell. We have a few new additions to the secondary, including a swiss army knife to roam in Gregg Williams' defense. We have a huge talent at pass rush with huge potential and the best rated punter in the country. Oh and btw, we signed a very good backup QB, which we all know we desperately needed last year.

I won't give a grade to this draft or this offseason. I feel like grades are premature and frankly I am in no position to grade out these guys, but I think we are on track for an entirely new organization.

I think we did something right finally. His name is Joe Douglas.

Cheers to the future!

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's refreshing to have a GM that attempts to address the team's needs and actually invests in the offensive side of the ball. When was the last time the Jets spent >50% of their draft on offense? Or that BOTH 1st and 2nd round picks were offensive players? I know that Darnold kind of forces the hand, but even after spending a 1st on Sanchez 11 years ago (wow feels like yesterday) it was still defense defense defense.

Add to the fact that Douglas is trying to truly solidify the OL... the last time the Jets were a competitive team they had a top tier OL. Refreshing.

Jets1035, SOJAZ, jago and 7 others like this.
  3. Falco21

The two happiest people on this planet today are Sam Darnold and Le'Veon Bell.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. I wanted to open up a thread on this very subject but refrained from doing it.
    There is something very special about JD. I can feel it for once. It goes way beyond his prowess with the draft, or taking proper chances With great upside, or a cautious approach to free agency, or contract prowess.
    He is developing something deeper than that. He is creating a culture for a winning organization. Setting the stage for what it takes to be a Jet, the character traits expected, the commitment and dedication both personal and professional required by all members. He is the leader of this team, make no mistake, and every one else will have to get in line....from the CS to every single player that wants to be a a Jet. Yes, including Adams. No one is above the team.
    JD might very well be the most valuable acquisition this organization has made since 1968. The one that was desperately needed to lift this team from a lifetime of mediocracy. The ownership better not screw this up.
    Our future is about to get much brighter.

#4 LAJet, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    boozer32, nycarl, chandler and 6 others like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Speaking of grades...Most of the Pundits I have read about concerning the AFC East draft rate the Jets effort a B+ although if I had to grade this Draft its a solid A- (only because we didnt take 2 young WRs)

But if we look at the history of this woebegoten doormat of a Franchise I frankly have never seen such a clever show that Mr. D our GM put on for us!

From day one, JD worked his craft to trade down accumulating picks ...most of us were aghast at his boldness passing up "better ranked" players

But obviously he learned a thing or 2 working at making Championship Teams at Philly and Balt..and after the smoke cleared after all his trades down (and sideways to get a receiver from the Colts ) I could only admire the transition from clueless Mac/Idzik to someone who knew how to work his Board for the Scheme best fitting O and D. When everyone looked into his selections including the big steals at 59 of Mims and probably Hall later on you can see how confident and smooth an operator the man is plus he knows how important backup ad depth are in the NFL ..a week to week attrition and injuries for all teams

We are in Good Hands guys!

boozer32, jetstopgun, dmw and 6 others like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For the first time in a very long time, I have hope the team's quality has improved over a single draft. between Idzik and Macc, Draft days were a nightmare. Training Camp and the preseason should be a lot of fun. Lets just hope they come up with a vaccine by then so we can get back almost to normal.

boozer32, SOJAZ, Mogriffjr and 14 others like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Since you love grading your players and judging their overall talents and potential based off of only which college they played their position for (and who came before them) I was just wondering as an FSU fan...

How do you like and/or feel about our new Emmitt Smith/Fred Taylor type of RB and 2019's bowl MVP from the Florida Gators in Lamical Perine?

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I haven't felt this good about a GM, maybe, ever. I've had a lot of hope over the years, for a lot of different guys, but, none of them ever truly panned out.

I didn't allow the Joey D hype cloud that reality and was cautiously optimistic heading into this draft. However, I felt really good about the moves and contracts he locked down during pro free agency. Still, I wanted to see how this man drafted.

I can honestly say, right now, after this draft. I feel so fucking good about this draft, the way our GM worked this draft, the moves he made, the fluidity and smoothness of it all. I don't think I've ever felt this confident in a GM after a draft.

This was his first draft and it feels like he has been doing this for a very long time successfully. He has, under other good GMs, just never on his own.

That just changed and I'm very excited about our GM and what this man can do for this team moving forward.

I'm no longer cautiously optimistic.

I'm actually feeling sure and feel good about my stance on Joey D.

I think we may FINALLY have a real GM.

Feels Good Man. Feels Good.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What pleases me the most, and gives me the most confidence is that Douglas clearly had a plan and drafted to it. I may disagree with some of his picks, but:he certainly knows far more than I do about players and the type of players this team needs.

It remains to be seen how many of these pan out, but I predict most of them will contribute.

boozer32, chandler, Mogriffjr and 7 others like this.
  10. Falco21

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

You may not like the pick or think it should have been someone else, but two things are true:

1. He knows far more than I ever will and he has done far more research on these guys.

2. Whether you like them or not, he went after needs and players that fit the structure he is building. Good character players with huge upside and speed.

As of today, this Jets team is faster, quicker, more talented, and far more aggressive than it was 3 days ago.

SOJAZ, themorey, chandler and 4 others like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Of course , now our Master chess player/Genius Gase has to move and put the pieces in place ..(Fingers and toes crossed he gets it done,,:eek:)

boozer32, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Cman68

JD didn't do anything batshit crazy trying to make a splash in his first Jets' draft. That speaks volumes to me as Douglas was steady and stuck to his plan all the way thru. That's the mark of a leader. Now if his picks actually make the final 53, this team will officially be on the road back from the NFL netherworld.

NYJetsO12, boozer32, SOJAZ and 10 others like this.
  13. Cman68

He has very few excuses for his system not to be effective anymore. Upgraded OL, 2nd year FQB. If anything, the pressure is on Gase now, not JD.

NYJetsO12, papapump, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'll say this: Gase will have absofuckinlutely no excuses now.

SOJAZ, themorey, MDJets and 6 others like this.
  15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I have spent some time looking at all the mocks and most of our picks went rounds earlier than we got them. I've seen Zuniga and our new gadget S/CB going in the second, Mims mostly in the first, Hall is always going way earlier... We nabbed some really talented players and I couldn't be happier, not to mention the punter, being able to punt 80yards changes a game.

NYJetsO12, boozer32, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

(Hate to say this but...) if JD is indeed the nuts, the Johnson brothers deserve a nod for simply refusing to take no for an answer.

17. Falco21

1000%

If this pans out, which at this point I am almost certain it will , they deserve a TON of credit

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'm just blown away that we have a GM who can put together a meaningful trade down in the draft.

It's something that we BEG for every year and every year are disappointed.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets had a good draft without trying to be splashy.

If that's not a sign of the Apocalypse...

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. The only thing I disagree with is the bolded. He will have to lead the Jets to 2-3 SB victories to do that. Until then Namath or Weeb Ewbank or Don Maynard can make that claim. I think Douglas is already the most valuable acquisition the team has made in 40+ years.

MDJets and LAJet like this.