Jinxed in odd number years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets18, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

After week 1 when Penny got hurt, I was thinking the last couple of years we are awlful in odd number years. Think about it.

2002 - Jets make the playoffs
    2003 - Penny gets hurt in preseason the team finishes 6-10.
    2004 - Jets make the playoffs
    2005 - Penny gets hurt in 3rd game of the year we finish 4-12
    2006 - Jets make the playoffs
    2007 - We really don't need to explain this.

This is how bad the football season is when I am posting threads like this.

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

All right! We're going to the playoffs next year!

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I had a similar kooky thought the other day. About going to the playoffs next year, that is.

4. Mayday

Mayday New Member

I don't really see us making the playoffs next year. Here's a few reasons:

1. Clemens

He's worse than Pennington. Why? He won't get injured! Meaning we'll have to endure INT after INT with no relief.

2. Mangini

Great. He found a camera on an opposing sideline. Too bad he can't find a good play, a way to stop an opposing offense, or a solution a quarterback. Glad to see he really learned something during his appearance on Sesame Street. Woo-hoo. He can count the interceptions while eating cookies in his garbage can. Play game with Elmo? You betcha. Too bad the game isn't football. I'm not sure what we're seeing on the field, but football it isn't. (Maybe a bad game of Madden.)

3. Coles

Coles will still be our best receiver. He's good, but with his height disadvantage it's kind of like having Matt Roloff as the best player on your basketball team.

4. Injury

Porcelain Pennington isn't our only breakable commodity. Hell, we can't even keep Fireman Ed off the injury report anymore. (Maybe he's overextending himself physically doing commercials.) The way Clemens is going to hang people out to dry, it'll make the Pennington to Coles debaucle this week look like Montana to Rice.

As far as I'm concerned the Jets are out of fuel. We're grounded. The only good news is the Giants don't play that far away! Of course, then you'd have to be willing to endure Eli Manning. And that's a whole different post altogether.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

yeah, I've thought of this for a few years now. I always called it the "Every other year thing with Pennington"

6. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

What this tells me...........

we make the playoffs when we have an easy schedule and we can sneak up on people. Meaning we're not very good.

7. CYensePHIction

yayyy Superbowl in 08!!!!

8. Mayday

Mayday New Member

Getting a flatscreen next year? That's the only reason a Jets fan should want to watch another Superbowl the team isn't playing in.

9. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

im soo pissed....i always told my friends about this, the "jinx" and theganggreen wont let me start a thread yet so you beat me to it.....its a curse, where like the chicago cubs!!!!:eek:hmy:

10. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

mayday....you cant be serious!!

clemens throws int's because one...his first start ever, second, he was put into a horrible situation....one was a over throw and one was on a hail mary which didnt matter any ways....

coles....height disadvantage....do you know anything bout football, hes like 5'10 which isnt short for a reciever, its average and hes one of the most consistant recievers in the nfl...nit flashy but solid and steve smith is 5'9 or 5'8 and hes nasty

its not just mangini, the team just doesnt have enough great players on this defense to contend yet.....all the great teams in the nfl have sick dlines...indy,pats, cowboys.....wait this draft and offseason or atleast next year

11. Mayday

Mayday New Member

I'm partly serious. I think Mangini is slime. And I think Clemens is going to be a bust. I like Coles, though.

12. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

i think clemens is gonna be like romo.....make mistakes but can also do great....hopefully better then romo though...their both pretty mobile

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^not for nuthin', but wouldn't you fail penmanship and english if you wrote all in lower case? is this the new standard? that is the laziest chit ever. i hate the internet almost as much as i hate the jets.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You left out 1995 - hired Rich Kotite and 1999 - Vinny got hurt.

Yeah odd numbered years have sucked around here for a long time.

15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not true based on your logic...

Of the 16 games the Jets play every year...

6 games are against your division
    4 games are against a rotating AFC division (this year, the AFC North)
    4 games are against a rotating NFC division (this year the NFC East)

That is 14 games right there that have nothing to do with the team's performance in the prior year.

The final two games are determined by the team's performance in the prior year such that the Jets would play two intra-conference games against 2 teams the finished in the same place in their division. This year, the Jets are playing KC and TEN who both finished second place in their divisions last year.

So, it really depends on the strength of the AFC East and the divisions that rotate to the Jets in any particular season as the two "prior year's performance" games are against teams that had the same opportunity to upgrade as the Jets (thought they may not have had the exact same record the prior year.)

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Yup very true, I had been noticing that in the last few seasons. At first I thought it was just coincidence, but now I think were just cursed.

17. Sonic710

Sonic710 New Member

This just says that with Pennington we get to the playoffs without him we don't. Pennington would have kept this going by winning the next 8 games but now that he is gone...