Jets working to get Cutler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BIG TYMER, Apr 26, 2006.

1. BIG TYMER

BIG TYMER Banned

Jets working to get Cutler
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' interest in Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler remains high, so much so that they're in discussions with the Baltimore Ravens to try to obtain him with the 13th pick overall, according to a person who has been in contact with several NFL teams and has first-hand knowledge of strategy in the top portion of the NFL Draft.

The person, who requested anonymity because several deals are still pending, spelled out the following scenario for the trade to happen:

The Ravens want Oregon nose tackle Haloti Ngata at 13. If he's available, they will take him and any deal with the Jets is off. Baltimore fears Ngata won't get past the Bills at No. 8, and they have no interest in drafting another player that high.

If Ngata is gone at 13, the Ravens would trade the pick to the Jets for the second of the Jets' two first-round picks (29th overall) and their second-round pick (35th overall). The Jets would then select Cutler, if he's available. Of course, if Cutler is not available there would be no deal.

The Jets got the 29th overall selection from Atlanta via Denver in the John Abraham trade last month.

Such a scenario would give the Jets two picks in the top 13 because the club is still expected to select Virginia offense tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson or N.C. State defensive end Mario Williams with their fourth pick overall. One of the two will almost certainly be available.

Though QBs Matt Leinart and Vince Young could conceivably be on the board when the Jets go on the clock at No. 4, they'll likely pass on both. There are media reports that the Jets are considering swapping picks with the Raiders (No. 7), who are said to want Young, but Ferguson and Williams would surely be gone at No. 7 and the Jets would miss out on both.

The Jets like Cutler the most among the top quarterbacks but realize they have more immediate needs at offensive tackle and defensive end, needs Ferguson or Williams can fill. Ferguson is considered a franchise left tackle who can be a cornerstone for the next decade. Williams could replace Abraham and has been compared to Patriots Pro Bowl DT/DE Richard Seymour, a player who can excel in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

While the Jets are confident that Chad Pennington or Patrick Ramsey can be their starting quarterback this season, they see Cutler as a quarterback for the long term.

Cutler, who caught the Jets' eye at the Senior Bowl, is a real talent. He has captured the fancy of owner Woody Johnson, who traveled to Nashville for a private workout and dinner with the quarterback last week during the team's cross-country quarterback tour.

"Woody Johnson is absolutely enamored with Cutler," said the person with knowledge of the trade talks between the Jets and Ravens. "He thinks Cutler is another Tom Brady"

The Jets think Cutler, 6-3, 228 pounds, is the most complete package among the QBs available in the draft. He has the biggest arm by far and has done more with less. Despite playing with B-level talent, he completed 710 of 1,242 passes (57.1 percent) for 8,697 yards, 59 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. Although he was 11-35 in four years, the Commodores were competitive.

Notes: The Jets haven't decided if Pennington will throw during their rookie/first-year players minicamp, which begins May 12. ... If the Jets don't get Cutler, they're eyeing Alabama QB Brodie Croyle and Oregon's Kellen Clemens in the second or third round. ... Though the Jets signed veteran OT Anthony Clement, he's a journeyman-type who isn't expected to start. Thus, the need for Ferguson.

2. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Ugh... No way i don't want cutler, we don't need a QB this year... Can we just fix our team up, get them ready and see what happens with ramsey and penny, we can draft a QB next year.

3. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I could live with getting Mario Williams at #4 and then trading #29 and #35 for #13. We would have a chance of getting Winston Justice, Jay Cutler, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, Chad Greenway, Laurence Maroney, or DeAngelo Williams who won't be around at #29.

4. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

I agree...all this QB is hype is not needed............its too risky at this stage in the game.......we need so many holes to fill.......so don't plan on seeing a RB or a QB in the early rounds......

5. Bomber

Bomber New Member

If such a scenario were in the minds of the Jets, I can see them trading down to 7 plus a later round pick.

6. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Bah. I don't like the title here. The Jets are working hard to get several people really. My opinion is it isn't Cutler at all.

7. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

To be honest I am thinking all of these "reports" are bogus. I am not sure anyone knows who the Jets are picking. Heck, I met a guy here in San Diego that says he knows Schott Jr and that the Jets are definitely taking Davis. Who knows? I enjoyed all the draft speculation but I just want to watch it now.

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

this is what most of us been saying.jets know damn well pennington nor ramsey is the future.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If we draft any QB the first day it is a sign that they don't believe in Pennington in the least bit. You don't trade for a solid QB who can spot start and back up and than draft a QB on the first day unless you believe Pennington is done. If there is any long term thought that Pennington can come back and lead the Jets they would not take a QB with any of the first 3 picks.

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

he is 30 with two major shoulder injuries. chad is never gonna be the same again.

11. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I think Cutler is a smoke screen, they want Lawson if Williams is gone.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

doubt they trade up to #13 to get Lawson.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We all know I would love this, but I don't think he will fall all the way to 13
    Brick and Cutler would be a dream come true.

14. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Baltimore better throw in a little more to even up the deal in points (1210 to 1150)

15. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i highly doubt teams use the chart too the TEE. 60 points isnt anything big

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

60 points difference doesn't get you much...

17. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Great second coming of Browing Nagel. if we take any QB, assuming we pick one, other than Young, I don't know how much longer I can be a Jets fan. This dude has flop written all over him. Young in a couple of years will prove to be the true stub QB of this draft, Cutler and Leinart will be Ryan Leaf posers for a few years.

18. lebojets

lebojets New Member

This could be a real good deal. If its true getting Ferguson and Cutler would be a good start to a new program. Chad would then be released in the summer if he is not 100%. It would be only a 6 million cap hit.

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No it would not. First, if they anticipated cutting Pennington, they would not have renegotiated. To have a guy come in on good faith and work that hard with the team to renegotiate only to be cut in the summer, would damage the reputation of the FO beyond repair. No player or agent would ever trust the FO again, forget any future renegotiations or significant FA signings. Second, it would not "only be a 6 million cap hit." The signing bonus would be excellerated to this year. I am not sure of the exact number, but I believe it is in the 9 million range (I could be wrong on the exact number though).

You do not renegotiate a contract with a player only to cut him in the summer. Pennington will be a Jets this year, no matter what happens in the draft. Next year is a different story.

20. lebojets

lebojets New Member

You left out an important part. I said if he is 100% healthy. If he is not he is gone.