Jets work out free agent QB David Garrard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Rider, Feb 28, 2013.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

heyyyy

i like garrard

its probably just cause we both have crohn's disease, but even before then, ive always liked him.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Oh boy! :lol:

I would take this over Brady Quinn though.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Garrard is an upgrade over Sanchez and probably the best free agent QB on the market. His knee is a question mark though. I'd still love him in camp, and he'd probably win the job.

4. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

HE is competition to Sanchez, and hell, even McElroy. Get rid of the alter boy and have Crohn's battle. I don't think he's the answer, either, but it's better than the pretty boy.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Garrard doing okay and everyone liked him in Dolphins TC until he got hurt? Can a Dolphin fan confirm/deny this?

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If hhis knee is ok, hed win the job in a week

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is pretty tough to put your faith in a QB that has not played NFL football in 3 years. But then again neither has Sanchez.

I am not against signing Garrard if its a no money down situation where we can cut him with no loss. But a 35 year old QB who has not played in 3 years is a long shot even if he likely a big upgrade over Sanchez. But that just said more about Sanchez than it does about Garrard. Garrard would bring some really important qualities that we have not seen in a QB here since Chad left and that is toughness, leadership and football smarts. But expecting a 35 year old QB who has not played in 3 years to run your team seems like very wishful thinking. But who knows maybe he can do what Hasselback did for Tennessee.

#8 Noam, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

hes a way better option than brady quinn, thats for sure. he could give us a fighting chance if his knee holds up

9. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Lol fkn Jets smh

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There's a reason Garrard has not played football for a long time. I would pass on this one.

11. JETS2013

JETS2013 Banned

I like it! Unlike many on this board I am an optimist. I really think Idzik is true to his word when he spoke about competition. No, we are in no position to have top tier QBs compete, but we are not just gonna stand by and do nothing. In real life, you gotta work with what you got and make it happen. I applaud the Jets so far and I will not hesitate to tell you when I think they messed up.

12. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Throwing shit on a wall & waiting to see what sticks. Jets are out of money & too talent deprived to trade picks unless they're getting a sure thing back. This is our reality. Lots of questionable, cheap, unwanted QB prospects fighting it out with Sanchez & the team rolls with the winner.

I'm alright with giving all these guys a camp invite or tryout. Let the new OC choose who gets to be the stopgap QB this season. Or maybe all the competition inspires one of these many candidates to become good enough to actually lead the Jets for more than one season.

13. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

why? its like as zero risk of a move as you can make. and we all saw that he, when healthy, can still play. he had the miami job locked up until he hurt that knee. he has way more of a chance of winning the job over anyone on our current roster, any draft pick, and almost any qb we could sign or realistically trade for.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we should all just get used to the odea of guys like Garrard, Quinn, Cassell, etc... that's the type we will be bringing in barring something shocking happening.

15. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I like it. He's been a solid QB before. Can't hurt to see what he's got. It's not like we're handing him the keys to a Super Bowl team. We aren't handing him the keys to anything really. He can come in, probably put up some solid competition at the very least. Best case he plays for the year until we can reevaluate next year.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I used to live in Jacksonville Garrard is tough solid average QB. He is not very accurate as a passer but does not throw into coverage either. His big plus was his mobility and that is gone. Its not his knee you have to worry about but his back.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

IMO, the odds of Sanchez not starting this year are slim... no matter how many QBs they bring in.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The only two ways Sanchez does not start game 1 next year. The first he plays so bad in camp that there is no way to justify him starting. The only other way if they draft a kid that shows potential in camp.

19. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Sigh. Is there no one in the draft we should go after? No one?