Jets Wide Receiver Position

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Feb 14, 2010.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

The Jets' WR corps is an interesting one in that the starters are one of the better (and most physical) duos in the NFL. They also compliment each other extremely well as Braylon's ability to stretch the field makes up for the fact that Cotchery does not possess great speed, and Cotchery's soft hands make up for the bouts of the dropsies that Edwards occasionally catches (see what I did there?).

The other side of this coin, however, is that there is a HUGE dropoff from Cotchery at #2 to Clowney at #3. Essentially, the depth chart skips from "pro-bowler" to "scrub" without making any stops in between.

Now, how does one get the most out of this group whilst also putting Sanchez in the best possible position to develop and improve?

I am against drafting a WR in the 1st round as I don't think Sanchez has enough experience to start grooming a "go-to-man" at this time. Besides that, WR isn't a pressing enough need to take with the #1 pick.

I think the best approach to take is to bring in a veteran to play the slot on 1st and 2nd down, and outside on 3rd down. I think placing Cotchery in the slot on 3rd downs gives him more space to operate in and takes advantage of his nack for finding soft spots in zones and getting separation that yields YAC. I am NOT saying Cotch should be pushed down the depth chart permanently, only placed in the slot on 3rd downs.

So then the question becomes who? There are 3 vet WRs out there that should be available for a pretty cheap price (which is important because the Jets' placement in the playoffs does hamstring their ability to dole out contracts).

Warning: Some of these guys are old; I am aware of this.

1. Derrick Mason. Despite his advanced age (36) he still put up over 1,000 yards last year. He also did this in a run-first offense where the only other receiving threats besides him are an oft-injured TE and a halfback. Mason's hands would make him a reliable check down in the slot on 1st and 2nd down and what remains of his speed would allow him to be pushed outside if the team wants Cotchery in the slot on certain plays. Even if they want to leave starting duo as is, Mason is certainly a better option to come in and spell either Braylon or Cotchery for a few plays than Smith or the Clown. His experience could also be very useful, especially to Edwards as (despite being a beast at the WR position) has a frustrating propensity to drop passes.

2. Antonio Bryant. He had a great 2008 season, but struggled this year with a rookie QB/QB carousel and a bad team in general surrounding him. He is a very different option from Mason in that he still has some upside and could still be a very dynamic playmaker. The downside is that he is unreliable and has had attitude issues in the past. Still, he probably doesn't command big money and would be a solid slot player with the ability to stretch the field if played on the outside.

3. Chris Chambers. Essentially the same situation as Mason, but not as productive. He also will be available on the cheap.

There are a number of other names that could be thrown out, but those are the 3 I think the Jets could benefit from the most. The fact that they have their hands tied in terms of how much money they can spend due to their playoff run is a double-edged sword; their success could lure some of these aging free agents in as they try to get a ring before their career is done.

I think this could help Sanchez greatly as he has shown, at times, that he will zero-in on only one or two targets. This is exacerbated by the fact that the passing game only really presents him with one or two consistently good options. Adding a sure-handed vet gives the Jets the option to spread the ball which, in addition to spreading out the defense for the running game, should also help Sanchez as he develops as a signal caller.

So, what do you all say?

PS: Hey, Champ. I'm sorry for creating this obviously trolling thread.

PPS: Suck it, cuttingedgeny!

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yeah...

Mason barely wants to play football let alone find a new team. So rule him out.

Antonio Bryant made an obsecenly obscence amount of money in 2009 after getting the franchise tag, so you can rule him out.

Chris Chambers also made a crap ton of money in 2009 so you can rule him out.

So id say overall theres better odds of the Jets winning the next 2 superbowls back to back than there is of any of these guys playing for us.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    That is a terrible, terrible list. What you're basically saying is that the Jets should ignore free agency to build the WR position.

Either Rhodes or Clemens is going to be traded which will give us a 3rd or 4th round pick and the chance to bring in Jordan Shipley, Freddie Barnes, or Dexter McCluster.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

All 3 of those guys would be awesome if we can get them for cheap. I don't think Bryant will be available for cheap at all tho some team will give him a big contract (fuck Jerry Porter got a huge contract when everybody thought he was done).

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

We're not getting anything for Clemens.

Antonio Bryant isn't that highly touted a wide receiver, but he's still one of the most overrated wide receiver's in the NFL. I laughed like a bastard when I heard him object to the franchise tag. AYFKM? He should've been thrilled to see that kind of scratch!

6. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I'd honestly take Dante Stallworth as a slot reciever over any of the guys you listed.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way advocating for the signing of Dante Stallworth. Not because of his legal issues but because I'm pretty sure he pulled a hamstring while I've been typing this.

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

I'm not saying to ignore all other positions, what I am advocating is making a move that can elevate what is already a potent offense. The Jets are in a position to make a run NOW, I don't see a rookie WR from the 4th round coming in and, with a 2nd year QB throwing to him, bringing the passing game to where it needs to be.

The FA needs the Jets have that you alluded to are the need for a pass-rusher (use 1st round pick) and depth in the secondary (which is where whatever number of draft picks deemed necessary can be used). What other FA needs are you referring to and can they be filled to/with a level of effectiveness that bringing in one sure-handed vet WR could?

#7 FriendlyGiantsFan, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  8. FriendlyGiantsFan

Mason, like any player, can be motivated by money. He won't require a huge offer as I highly doubt teams are ringing his phone off the hook.

I don't care what Bryant made in 2009, his market value now is much lower.

Ditto for Chambers.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Bryant made 9 million in 2009.

Hes not going to take 1 million AND be a # 3 on the depth chart.

Chambers has made an average of 6 million over the last couple of years.

Again I dont see him taking massive paycuts.

Mason is an UFA I believe. who made 4 million last year.

The jets would have to lose a similar paid player to be allowed to pick him up.

The jets CAN NOT (not wont, but CAN NOT) get any of these players as UFAs because they make FAR FAR FAR too much money.

It just CAN NOT happen. The only way the jets COULD get any of these guys is if they traded for them. And if you think the jets would give up their very limited draft picks for old receivers in their 30s youre on crack.

10. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

^ Chambers and Bryant won't have a choice but to take a massive paycut.

I know it's not the same sport but Johnny Damon didn't want to take a paycut either and hows that working out.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Chambers and Bryant could take 50 60 70% paycuts.

We still wont be able to sign them.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

:beer: See what you did there FriendlyJetsFan?

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I miss Stuckey

14. CatoTheElder

1. A rookie coming in from the 4th round can be exactly what Sanchez needs him to be: solid hands and the ability to get open. Shipley has the lateral movement to get open on short yardage situations and the wheels to grab 5-7 YAC easy. Freddie Barnes has the same ability and can be a serviceable deep threat out of the slot for one or two plays to draw coverage away from Cotchery, Edwards and Keller. The Jets don't need to bring in a WR with 7+ years experience to elevate the offense.

Mason is taking a nose dive, Bryant is a head case, and Chambers is a head case in the middle of a nose dive. I don't like any of those three.

2. That's not what I was saying, read it again.

#14 CatoTheElder, Feb 14, 2010
  15. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

mason retired last year then came back if he plays again it wont be for the jets

16. CatoTheElder

Exactly. Why would he come back for a defensive coach?

17. FriendlyGiantsFan

I know it's Valentine's Day, but don't post like a woman; state directly what you mean. When you stated "What you're basically saying is that the Jets should ignore free agency to build the WR position," I'm not really sure what else I'm supposed to take from it.

I'm not going to waste time speculating on trades because that opens an endless list of hypotheticals that I'm not in football withdrawal enough to explore. Give it a week.

There is a reason you don't often see WR, let alone 4th round pick WR, coming in and contributing on offense right away. QB is the hardest position to transition to from college to the pros, immediately following that is the job of the guy that does the most to help out the QB; WR. WRs that can contribute immediately tend to go in the 1st round. I've already said I am against the Jets drafting a WR in the first round (read it again). Drafting a WR in the later rounds can help the team out a lot, in 2011. I think the Jets are in the position to make a run now and shouldn't wait much longer as some parts of the OL ain't exactly young.

If you think the Jets can take a later round WR that can come in and have a significant impact on an offense lead by a 2nd year QB (by definition, a guy that will need WR that help him out as opposed to vice versa) as opposed to simply bringing in an aging vet and asking LITTLE of him (that's the key to what I am proposing that I think you are missing), then we'll simply have to agree to disagree because I don't subscribe to your rationale. The age of these players will keep them from getting big paydays and the impact that they can have is more significant than any of the other limited FA moves (moves that I've yet to hear you propose your own opinion of) the Jets are allowed to make. We may have to agree to disagree here.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

This thread is a waste.

All 3 wrs are UFA (I believe). And considering that their salarys are relatively high, even with INCREDIBLY MASSIVE paycuts, it is 100% impossible for the jets to sign ANY of these guys period.

You can speculate or whatever you want, but these guys simply CAN NOT become jets.

Unless of course someone goes out, signs them and then trades them to the jets which aint happening.

/end thread

19. CatoTheElder

I don't care if we can get any of those three for a bag of peanut shells and two ounces of sunflower seeds, I don't see what they can bring to the game. Mason was far below his normal level of play as far as route running and catching. The guy had EDIT: 6 on target drops, hardly what want out of a possession receiver. Bryant's loud mouth and attitude make him more of a liability than an asset, and Chambers' home problems will probably land him a suspension and, at this point, jail time. If these are the top three available to the Jets then there is not much of value available to the Jets.

The passing game is going to open up a little next season but Ryan is still going to want the offense to rely on the running game. Sanchez already has three good receiving options in Edwards, Cotchery and Keller. Anyone else the Jets bring in is going to be an afterthought in the offense, at most a small wrinkle in a game where Greene, Washington and Jones/Jones' replacement are going to be the building block of the defense. Bringing in an older WR to help the Jets win now is going to run aground on what Ryan wants for this team and this quarterback.

Players like Shipley, Barnes, or McCluster are choices which would help this team win for years down the road and could be the weapons that Sanchez needs when he is ready to completely open the passing game. Until then, bringing in a veteran who would command the ball is only going to tempt Sanchez to force throws and hurt the offense as well as his own development.

Oh, and leave the internet badassary to Mr. E.

#19 CatoTheElder, Feb 14, 2010
  20. FriendlyGiantsFan

The possibility of a lockout will keep teams from spending frivolous amounts of money on aging players. The Jet could use this to their advantage and get a player that positively impacts their team on the cheap.

/end your activity in this thread if you don't like it and find it a waste/ :)