Jets vs Mia Week 14 2019 - Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 9, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Robby - back to back 100+ yard 1 TD games. he was consistently getting open. nice to see the jets finally sue him for more then just go routes. Sam also missed him once again on another deep TD

Darnold - stat line was just ok at 20/36 2TD and 1 INT. he made some mistakes as well but he fought, made some plays and at the end of the day, did lead the game winning drive

Gase - yeah people will hate me making him a stud since we won by 1 point to a bad miami team. and playcalling wasn't good especially at the end. but he is getting robby more involved. he won a huge challenge on PI that extended a drive, and most importantly his team is fighting for him. our players haven't given up, he hasn't lost the locker room. seeing shepard carry ficken off after the FG shows how much this team is playing hard for gase. that means a lot for a coach.

Ficken - missed an XP off the bat, then was a perfect 4/4 after that (3 FGs 1 XP) including the game winning 44 yarder as time expired.

Powell - got the start for the sick bell, had 74 rushing yards and 88 total yards. solid game for powell

Jenkins - 2 sacks and a never ending motor and great in the run game support. he's a corner stone of our D and very underrated. he now has 7 sacks on the season matching his career high with 3 games to go and he missed 2 games. which means 7 sacks in 11 games

Bless - another great game form him. he did get 1 BS PI penalty but overall he looks every bit the starting caliber CB this season

Burgess - 13 tackles, 1 for a loss. he was everywhere. also had a nice INT called back from a PI penalty on him which was iffy but not unfair

Hairston - great INT and solid coverage all game. also had 2 PDs

Run D - 19 carries for 53 yards from their RBs (2.79YPC)

Red Zone D - held them to 0 TDs and 7 FGs overall. bend but don't break

Duds

Every WR not named robby - drops like crazy again. DT almost fumbled away a TD. no other WR had more then 30 yards except smyth who got 37 on the final drive on a nice catch and run which was his only catch. he also didn't fight back to the ball on sams INT he stood there and let the DB run in front of him.

O-line - awful yet again, no space in the run game and sam mostly running for his life.on the plus side sam only got sacked once but hit many more times

QB contain D - we let fitz run all over us. he's a 38 year old barely mobile QB.

Pepsiguy5, twown and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Seems like Sam had trouble when two of his latest targets left the game. After the TD, Thomas didn't return and Griffin already was ruled out by then. So now he's down to Vyncent Smith who's nowhere near a guy who you can rely on out there but he did make that big play. He maybe out for Thursday so Smith likely will receive an increase in PT on the outside.

Kyron Brown goes on IR, the secondary is a MESS. Tomorrow will be telling if we can piece together able bodies to play Thursday. It's bad.

3. GasedAndConfused

i'm surprised he didn't use crowder more but robby was on fire. crowder had a rough game. but yeah no TE and smyth and berrios as WR2 and 3 is rough. plus no bell. all he had was robby and crowder

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Robby was awesome yesterday, he made lots of contested catches for big plays. He's starting to attack the ball with his hands, very promising couple of games from him.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Good job as usual G&C. That's pretty much the way I saw it. I thought Powell was on his way to a huge game before all of a sudden he just seemed to stop getting any traction about halfway through the game.

Our offensive line is just awful. This just has to get worked on hard this offseason.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Darnold was no stud on Sunday. Not saying he was a dud but avg at best.
    Gase total Dud.
    Play calling was suspect as usual. He did not win a huge challenge to extend the drive, it was league initiated. (Under 2 mins remaining. Also had no TOs if before the 2 min warning). If not for bad play calling , would not have needed the gift review.( Definitely correct call) Well inside FG range with 42 seconds remaining trying to eat the clock, you run, not Gase. Led to Darnold being sacked and pushing us out of FG range, forcing the need to pass late nearly costing us the game.
    As far as Shepard carrying Ficken off the field being a sign of support for Gase... Huh? They were just gifted a win against one of the worst teams in the league, that they were embarrassed by and very nearly were again. Think it was an over reaction to a meaningless game, but hard fought, went from a sure win, to a loss, and miraculously back to a win. Pure emotion, not a show of support for Gase.

#6 TonyFtLaud, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    SOJAZ, James Hasty and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  7. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

So the Jets beat the lowly Miami Dolphins by 1 point with the help of a relay reversal and there are 11 studs and 3 duds?

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The Dolphins are one of the worst teams in the NFL, but so are the Jets, but that's a every year thing, people need to come to terms with that, so these losses don't hurt so much.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sam got the job done but calling him a stud this week is a stretch.

Robby Anderson on the other hand showed up big time.

If Robby had called in sick we would have lost and Darnold might have made the dud list.

SOJAZ and TonyFtLaud like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

ah i thought he challenged it. still the team fought hard for him and were happy to win and got the win.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Jets have 6 active WRs not named Robbie Anderson and 8 active offensive linemen, so that's at least 14 duds, plus however you choose to count the guys who failed to contain Runnin' Ryan.

I agree with you on principle, though--both teams combined didn't put 11 studs on the field yesterday.

bigbucks24 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

what 6 WRs? we have (not including robby) DT, crowder, berrios, and smith. that's only 4 more and with robby 5. we don't have 7 WRs

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We always thoroughly disagree on Robby but he's looked good these past couple weeks. He still terrifies me with the ball in his hand because he's gotta weight a buck sixty five but I think we will need to keep him.

Hopefully it's not an unreasonable contract. But there's next to nothing in free agency. I'd sign Lequan Treadwell as the #4, and draft a first or second round receiver. If we go OL-OL I'd like to get Pittman in the third. He played with Sam and he's a 6'5" possession receiver whose been learning the position from his dad for his entire life. I think he'll be a good pro.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

How many fumbles does Robby have?
    He's also been quite durable.
    Give him a contract similar to Tyrell Williams from the Raiders. You need someone who can stretch the defense and Robby is exactly that. Treadwell is trash, he's damn near camp fodder at this point.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

My post was pro Anderson and admitting I was wrong and we should keep him. Treadwell is trash, but I think he also needs a change of scenery and can be a decent 4. That's why I said to sign him at the position that sees 20 snaps a game at most in a perfect world.

There's nothing in free agency. Find me another vet minimum bullshit receiver with more potential to be the #4 guy and I'm fine with it. Keelan Cole is the best one if they don't tender him as he's an RFA.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have seen it before. Robbie is who Robbie is. He plays well 3 or 4 games a year (usually against weaker teams) and is barely there the rest of the season. He hasn't lived up to the promise of his rookie season.

He does have value. I just hope when it comes to signing a contract he doesn't over rate his value - or that we don't over rate it.

17. GasedAndConfused

he's there. sometimes the numbers arne't due to o-line or sam missing him deep. sam really needs to improve his deep ball accuracy

18. GasedAndConfused

a sterling shepard like contract is fair. 3-4 years 10-12mil a year. remember top WR1 guys like cooper are going to get 18-20+ mil a year

Mogriffjr likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

True. But other times Robbie thinks Sam missed him when really he just needed to fight for the ball. I hope he continues to play well and fight hard. (I actually admired his ill fated attempt at hurdling, even though he fumbled. I want to see that kind of fight out of him, minus the fumble.)

I would love to see him have a big game on Thursday. If he does that he will swing a lot of doubters over to his side - including me.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah and I think that's over value for who he is as a player but I don't think we have much of a choice unless we want to end up like the Eagles with Josh McCown as the next man up at receiver.

He's an ok player. And he's going to get a better contract than his worth. But we have to keep him.