Jets tried trading back into top 10 for Leinart_*MERGED*

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, May 1, 2006.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

2. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

That's hard to believe....but thank goodness that didn't work out, I like the way our draft panned out and sacrificing current/future picks for leinart wouldn't be a great move like getting a qb in the 2nd rd IMO.

3. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Frankly don't believe that....possibly a story to deflect flak for not taking Leinart. As it is there is not that much flak to deflect: most commentators and fans are very positive about the draft for the Jets.

4. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Is there a link?

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And before the draft the Jets tried aquiring Julius Jones from the Cowboys.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Man they wanted our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd!

I would do 1st and 3rd, or MAYBE 1st and 2nd, but not all 3.

I'm glad we didn't go forward with that trade. :up:

7. Gunther

Gunther Member

Only people who were yearning QB with the 4th oick were the NY Sports writers.
    They just want to feel justified in their thinking because they were so off base, so this is just a way of trying to take some egg of their faces.
    They have proven they don't have a clue and have no more access to REAL information any more than you and I.
    I say let's call for all NY Sports Writers to be fired.
    They are not trying to inform the public, but persuade public perception to their likings. They are dangerous and we've seen too many examples of them pushing their own agenda.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I tend to think you are correct.

9. akibud

akibud Active Member

agreed. these asspoles were looking for an enigmatic figure for them to shadow and perhaps co-author a book deal with. I even read where someone wrote that the franchise is lacking a recognizable face ala the Yankees. They were in it for themselves. I say F all of them.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

My signature used to say Boycott the Daily News and Post, for this simple reason. These writers are full of crap, have poor grammar and spelling, and would be bounced out of a smaller market. Since there are so many people in NY, they continue to sell papers filled with their version of the news.

Anyway, I am VERY glad we didn't blow the draft on Leinart. I didn't want him in the first place. (Croyle was my first choice, but I am really starting to get into this Clemmens kid.) That's not mentioning the fact that we got Mawae's replacement with Mangold, and Kendall can play his more comfortable position. Our QBs may just survive this season thanks to our first round this weekend.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just suppose for a moment that its true what the article says. It just may be that Tangini might have outsmarted themselves with all this maneuvering and lost out on Leinart. That makes Clemons their fall back position instead of the guy they wanted all along doesn't it...

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

dude if leinart was their man theres no way they pick dbrick and then scramble to get leinart.....hahah thats just not the case

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

agreed, there will always be people like this though in any facet of life.

Leinart is a system player IMO and he ended up exactly where he needs to be to succeed. surrounded by talent and with a good Off coach.

nothing was funnier than watching Leinarts reaction as Brick was on stage holding his jersey.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You can make that argument, you can also say that they took a hard look and in the end they liked Mangold, Clemens and Schlegel, and another 2nd next year better than Leinart.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd rather have Mangold and Clemens than Leinart.

Rebuilding requires some sacrifices to achieve quality depth and having Mangold as a likely 9 year starter (2 deals 5+4) lessens the concern of having passed on a potentially great QB. Add Clemens in with his upside and you're definitely better off with the two players plus the 71 than with Leinart.

On a mature contender which was worried about QB the equation would be very different.

Let me line the trade of what the Jets actually got vs what they would have gotten if they traded for Leinart:

Actual value received: Mangold, Clemens, Schlegel, Drew Coleman (extra pick in trade of 35 for 53), Titus Adams (extra pick in trade of 71 for 76), 2nd round pick 2007.

Value received if they made the trade: Leinart, 5th round pick 2006, 6th round pick 2006.

Which of those two packages would you have taken?

Edited for the actual value of the return compensation if the Jets had traded 29, 35 and 71 for 9, x, y. There's also some additional considerations that the Jets got in the Clemens trade (a 7th round pick) that they subsequently traded away. I cancelled that value out of the deal with the 7th round pick they should also have gotten back in the deal for the 9.

#15 Br4d, May 1, 2006
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  16. NYJetFan37

NYJetFan37 New Member

Ah man, I would of done our first and second for Leinart, wish it would of happened

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

in the end...we have a much stronger team with DBrick/Mangold/Clemmons then we would have if we had Dbrick/ Leinart..we are building a TEAM...not a indiviual effort...Tangini did this one right

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jet's supposedly offered 29 and 71 for the 9. That was a bad offer. If the Lions had come back with 29 and 35 the Jets might have gone for it. 29 and 35 was not enough value for the 9 either however and the Lions apparently asked for 29, 35 and 71. That was a bad offer for the Jets and they declined.

That's if you believe the story. Personally I find it dubious.

19. J-e-t-s123

J-e-t-s123 New Member

If that story was true-it is possible they could have done it for a 1 and 2 and that would have been a great deal. They could have drafted Eslinger a few rounds later to make up for missing Mangold

20. MrDobolina

MrDobolina New Member

They were after Leinart after all....

This from the NY Daily news via Si.com

Not long after picking D'Brickashaw Ferguson and passing on Matt Leinart, the Daily News has learned, the Jets were furiously working the phones Saturday trying to move back into the top 10 to get the USC quarterback.
    -- New York Daily News

Makes me wonder how much more that actually goes on behind the scenes we do not know. Interesting.....