Jets to bring back Tomlinson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Mar 1, 2011.

1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6170368

Sources: LaDainian Tomlinson to return

A trio of players who are over 30 years old received pink slips Monday from the New York Jets -- Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor and Damien Woody. One player in that precarious age group that doesn't have to worry about his future is LaDainian Tomlinson.

The Jets will retain the future Hall-of-Fame running back for the 2011 season, the final year of his contract, according to league sources. There had been mild speculation about Tomlinson, who turns 32 in June, but the team intends to go forward with a three-headed backfield -- Tomlinson, Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said after the season that he expects Tomlinson back, but he left some wiggle room by saying "things could change." Tomlinson's late-season fade, coupled with McKnight's strong showing in the regular-season finale, prompted some to speculate that the Jets were mulling a change.

But the Jets remain confident that Tomlinson still can be a productive back. Even though he failed to crack the 50-yard mark in any of his last six regular-season games, he still rushed for a team-high 914 yards, averaging 4.2 yards per carry. He also caught 52 passes, an invaluable security blanket for Mark Sanchez.

Tomlinson probably secured his future with a fantastic game against the Colts in the wild-card round, rushing for 82 yards and two touchdowns.

After the season, Tomlinson left no doubt about his feelings.

"I would definitely like to play, no question," Tomlinson said at a Dallas fundraiser a few days before the Super Bowl. "Really and truly, I'm under contract, and I fully expect to play football with the Jets next year. Until I'm told otherwise, I just expect to be there."

One potential sticking point could be his role. With his age, and with McKnight ready to be a contributor, Tomlinson's playing time will shrink. It's possible he could be used primarily as a third-down back. Whether he'd be happy in a limited role remains to be seen. Tomlinson is due to make $2.4 million in base pay for 2011.

With 13,404 career yards, Tomlinson is the sixth-leading rusher in the NFL history, trailing Jerome Bettis (fifth) by 258 yards and former Jet Curtis Martin (fourth) by 697.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm glad he's coming back - you can't coach the kind of leadership he brings to this team. Richardson is probably retiring, so a veteran is needed in that young backfield.

He's also still one of the best receiving backs in the league. LT is only going to make McKnight and Greene better players in the long run.

3. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Sweet, but I hope schotty realizes that this doesnt mean LT automatically gets the starts. Greene should be our feature back and LT should be used as a 3rd down back with a sprinkle of McKnight.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am happy to hear this although I still think there is a chance he may not be back. I think he is really valuable in the pass game.

5. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Schotty - wake the fuck up. SG as the number 1!!!!!

Your love affair with Tomlinson has to stop. The guy is great and I'm happy he's coming back but he has to be the number 2!!!!!!!!!!!

6. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

I like the way LT was used last year, keeps the younger backs fresh for later in the season instead of being warn down.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this.
    also if he gets close to curtis shut him down.i don't want to see anyone pass him on the list :martin:

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think he was a big reason Sanchez improved so much this year. He was invaluable out of the backfield. If he truly does accept a limited role, our backfield situation is looking very good.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's my thinking as well, LT took the bulk of the carries earlier in the year and kept Greene fresh when we needed him the most. To me the disappointing part was the way LT was used in that Pitt game when Greene should have been getting the rock on that 1st and goal that we ultimately did not capitalize on.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Gotta give Greene the ball more. The only way Tomlinson should see the bulk of the carries is if Greene is hurt. They need to find a way to get McKnight in there a little more as well. Its time for him to get off the sidelines, especially if we can actually wrap up some games early on without having to give every Jets fan cardiac arrest weekly. I'm betting McKnight is going to get some meaningful carries this year and open some eyes.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Are the Jets the only team making moves?

Why are these front page headlines on ESPN?

Not complaining, just saying.

12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

This was my thinking last year. Not this year. I want to see SG get in a rhythm again.

I don't care if it's a 60-40 split, I just want to see more SG. The kid deserves it. Unleash the beast and lets see what he does.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

I'd like Greene as the feature, LT as the passing down back and McKnight to trade with Greene and keep him fresh.

Also, McKnight when we need someone to puke.

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Exactly, I'm more in line with SG mowing over the opposing D in the beginning of the game and then letting Tomlinson slice and dice the tired D in Q2 and Q4.

When SG is in a rhythm, he is unstoppable.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Verbatim

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I would love to see him used as only a 3rd down back, I hope to God Schotty can see that too.

I hope Shonn continues to work on his hands, replacing the 52 receptions will be key.

17. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

I think the right answer is somewhere between this:
    and this:
    I am thrilled that signs indicate LT will be back next year.

While on one hand SG's role needs to be elevated substantially next season, there is tremendous value in being able to keep him fresh for December/January/February.

Whereas this season LT was pretty much the exclusive third down back and also got most of the earlier down reps, next season I would love to see a rotation more grounded in a week-to-week, matchup driven game plan. Some weeks SG should be allowed to take 1st and 2nd with the occasional spell, while LT continues his 3rd down duties.

I would love a shift from down-to-down or series-to-series rotation to a game-to-game style rotation. SG gets better the more reps he gets and this strategy would make the best use of his skills. Also, I think this represents the best balance between making SG the featured back and keeping him fresh for the end of season push.

18. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

why do people insist on keeping greene fresh by working lt early on in the season? this makes no sense to me. lt is the guy who needs a lighter workload in order to be fresh for the playoffs.

greene is a young back with very little mileage on him so far. he doesn't need to be saved for the playoffs. he should be able to run his ass off the entire season. he needs to be given a shot at carrying the workload for 16 games.

mendenhall looked fresh to me as he ran through our defense and he had more carries this year than greene has had in his two seasons.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, Schott should listen more to Ryan, who obviously is not a fan of LT.

20. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

We have the luxury of two capable backs so we might as well take advantage of the situation. Instead of two backs at 90% in the playoffs, I'd rather have one at 80% (LT) and one at 100% (SG).

Also, obviously the goal is a 19-20 game season rather than 16. Although admittedly Mendenhall was impressive through the playoffs.