Jets should sign Alex Smith asap (RETIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe, maybe not

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Kaepernick? :eek:

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Last thing JD wants from his BUQB is to ignite a QB controversy. That's why he shipped Sam out.

But Hoyer is HORRIBLE. Which makes him the perfect option. He's vet-enough to mentor Zack, but his bad enough to NOT win meaningless games knocking us down in the 2022 draft.

Sign him up!

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He missed the playoff game with an injury to the leg that he had all of that trouble with. He had to hobble his way out to play in Week 17 and was, admittedly, serviceable in that game (good completion percentage and a couple of TDs, but low yardage and 2 picks), but he was clearly limited.

I don't have any issue with Alex Smith. I think he's a great player who has gotten the short end of the stick for pretty much his entire career and, all things being equal, would be more than happy to have him as the guy to come in and hold down the fort while whatever rookie Douglas selects gets ready to play. But, if that's the plan, we can't rely on a guy who is literally a hit away from a forced retirement. If we go into the season with Smith as the starter and a not-ready Wilson behind him, I don't think that's really helping anyone. It's not helping the team and it's not helping Wilson. And before anyone comes back with the usual smart response of "everyone's a hit away from that", I think it's quite clear that Smith has a much higher risk of that happening to him than your average player.

SOJAZ, Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe Testaverde still has something left in the tank?

cval likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he injured his other leg, not the one he had surgery

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is why it's probably not going to be Alex Smith.

7:18

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So they basically want the back up to never even consider starting for the Jets and they don’t want to pay for Alex Smith.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It looks like they definitely want Zach to start from get go and want to have a cheap veteran around to basically mentor him and be a 3d stringer perhaps behind Morgan. When Morgan was drafted last year, I was thinking the only reason to spend 4th rounder on him is if JD thinks he can be a solid back-up on the cheap with some potential. He learned for a year, 24 years old now, so perhaps Jets brass feels he can be that back-up, and all that's left is to bring a veteran mentor for these youngsters as a cheap 3d stringer.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Definitely seems like the plan, the article NC put up in another thread JD was quoted as saying they were not going to throw a rookie QB on the field and ask him to drop back and carry the team. They were going to give him a strong running game and playmakers to help him out.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

An extremely well thought out post. All this time we were thinking we need a back-up veteran QB who can start. However, if Jets feel Morgan (24) is ready to be a back-up now, and they feel comfortable starting a high rookie draft pick, all we need is a 3d stringer veteran for emergency and mentoring as a primary capacity. Honestly, I have no problem with that if Morgan is ready to play, and the money saved on the QB can be used to improve line or CB position with someone better than Adam Levin JD just signed.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  12. Footballgod214

YES! I really don't know how far along Morgan is (JD probably doesn't either) with zero preseason games, we've never seen him take a single snap. BUT, we're going into a brand new offense, so it has to be learned by whomever is under center, Zack, Morgan, Vet, etc. I can easily see Morgan as QB2. After all, we're trying to develop BOTH QBs, not just Zack. Morgan would be given the opportunity to learn the new offense and develop 1000x more as QB2 than as QB3. Besides, that's what we drafted him for.

I like your idea better than Hoyer!

Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In the recent press conference asked about QB vet backup, JD did say he feels good about Morgan then hastily added the same for the second practice squad QB as well I suppose not to offend him. So maybe he had a chance to see him practice last year and liked it, not sure. But if he is really brining in a washed up scrub like Hoyer as a 3d QB, then he must have been telling the truth.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

NFL network radio on SiriusXM had somebody doing a mock this afternoon but I wasn't in the car long enough to figure out who was picking. Whoever it was went with Mac Jones and explained he was the guy most ready to play in week one.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Any chance of JD taking another QB this year in the later rounds?

Red Menace likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sounds like John Lynch. "Hey Joe, you guys should take Mac at #2 overall. He is so Pro ready it is unbelievable. I shouldn't do you favors like this, but I don't want you guys stuck with a schmo like Zach Wilson!"

Poeman likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

LOL, Rosen was the most NFL ready as well.

The Dark Knight and K'OB like this.
  19. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

and he sucked more than Sam

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

There’s simply no evidence for your claim. I prefer to start the guy if he’s ready. I’m not dumb enough to say that’s the only way to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.