Jets should sign Alex Smith asap (RETIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t rule out starting a rookie day 1.
    If he’s ready and balling in preseason that’s great. Just don’t want to force it, or hand it to him without earning it.

I agree with you on the coaching upgrade helping.
    In terms of roster, Oline and weapons havent improved much if at all though.
    that’s partly why I’m worried about starting a rookie too soon.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Who is really left now? Mullens, Smith? I guess both had a better year than Sam last year and know the system, but pickings are slim.

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The WRs are definitely upgraded atleast. Corey Davis and Keelan Cole along with Crowder and Mims are a strong 4 deep.

As long as they improve the line in the draft, the offense will be atleast decent enough for a rookie QB to play if he earns the job.

I think Nick Mullens is a good choice as a vet familiar with the offense. If it was pre-injury Alex Smith I’d be all for it, but besides the dink and dunk to the extreme, it’s literally uncomfortable watching him take hits in the pocket. He can barely move anymore, it’s crazy he’s even still playing. I don’t want to come off like an asshole because I respect the hell out of his comeback story, but I just don’t want to watch him play every week for my favorite team for these reasons.

REVISion likes this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The mentor aspect is exactly the reason he should be the first guy JD tries to get.
    Unless Zach is terrible in TC he will not be the guy taking the snaps.
    He is a teacher, mentor and an insurance policy rolled into one.

But you are incorrect, if you go back and read some of the posts you would think he is Geno or worse by some of the comments.

cval and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Alex Smith is still out there for a reason. He should retire. His comeback story was amazing, but he is a sitting duck out there. Too risky to keep playing. One wrong hit on that leg and he would be in trouble.

Can the Jets sign him to truly be a mentor for Wilson? Where they expect Wilson to start from Day 1 and if he gets injured, Morgan goes in as the back-up? I don't like that. I would rather sign Mullens or one of those other guys.

King Koopa likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is a guy like Mullens might be a good dude but he's not coming here to mentor anyone. The guy is still fighting for his NFL life.

Might be worth a look at Ryan Griffin. We could use another one on the roster. And he's been around Payton, Brees and now Brady.

Red Menace and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Washington was able to win games with Smith last season, and I don't think he was even 100% recovered from injury yet.
    I think he's more than capable at starting if needed.
    Mullens is an option also, but I think a downgrade from Smith.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Guys. Alex Smith cannot take a step backwards.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd like to see JD lure McCown out of retirement. He was a great mentor for Sam, and would be for (Wilson) too.

Plus we need a Josh/Zack moment pushing their hand through their hair in unison!

(roll the film....)

Plus his he could have his old locker. Just paint over WATSON with MCCOWN :rolleyes:

#49 Footballgod214, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, his time is passed. 42 years old by the time season starts, hasn't played last year - last two years really. He is just not an option.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It sounds like you wrote a eulogy, not a job recommendation.

I'm not looking for a guy whose foot is on backwards, regardless of where he was drafted a long time ago; I could not care less if he is "beloved" or respected by anyone - football is a results oriented business. I want a quarterback with grit and determination who can get out on the field and win a few games while we see if whoever is drafted is ready for the big time. If the new guy picks up a few things from him that's a plus but the whole "mentor" thing should come from the coaching staff. I'll take a strong pass on Smith.

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He is old, and came off serious injuries. We don't know if what he showed last year was a permanent decline, which will get worse, or just a dip as he was still recovering. I suspect the former. Then he got injured again and missed play-offs. I guess I would not mind too terribly if JD signed him on a cheap, but nothing to get excited about.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well here's the list, the guy like RG3 so much he lists him twice lol

1) Nick Mullens, San Francisco 49ers
    2) Brian Hoyer, New England Patriots
    3) Alex Smith, Washington Football Team
    4) Robert Griffin III, Baltimore Ravens
    5) Blaine Gabbert, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    6) Matt Barkley, Buffalo Bills
    7) Robert Griffin III, Baltimore Ravens
    8) Blake Bortles, Los Angeles Rams
    9) Sean Mannion, Minnesota Vikings
    10) A.J. McCarron, Houston Texans

Who would you trust to run the new system, Mullen who is already accustomed to it, Hoyer who has already failed in it, Gabbert who also has possibly had a stab at it or do we wait and pick up Teddy when he is released?

legler82 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looks like the membership roster of the Bum of the Month Club. If the desire is to underwhelm that probably could have been done without trading anyone away. Can the entire Jets organization opt out for 2021?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well hopefully, it is just a 1 season membership and whoever they draft steps in and takes us onwards in 22, I still think sitting the new QB is the only sensible option.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It’s likely gonna be Mullens on a one year deal.

outside shot of Morgan but I mean the staff really has to see him in action. This is mostly a hedge against Wilson injury, have a guy who can the offense in Mullens.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Imagine going into a season with Nick Mullens as your opening day starting QB...

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Jason MacIsaac

Unfortunately, everyone is going to want Smith as their backup. Ultimately I think he gets a starter gig once the dust settles from the draft/FA.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Douglas really screwed this up. If you were gonna trade Darnold you shoulda done it right after the season like the Lions did with Stafford. Not only could you have gotten more for him but you woulda been able to get a decent veteran stopgap.

now were looking at this list of trash QBs or praying the BYU kid is ready week 1 (he aint gonna be)

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Why don't you think he will be ready?

2020:
    Burrow started right off the bat
    Herbert started game 2 (Lynn is a moron and should have had him starting from the beginning)

Those 2 guys had less practice and OTAs than the QBs going into this upcoming year will have. They were fine.

2019:
    Kyler Murray started right off the bat and is more than fine on a team that was way less talented than us

Wilson or Fields should be the opening day starter come Sept 2021. There is no reason to sit these kids anymore, the days of that are over. We have seen kids come in and light the league up without waiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.