Jets' rushing attack vs. Bills in the Ryan ERA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Sep 5, 2012.

1. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

2009, Week 6: 40 carries, 318 yards, 8.0 Y/A. Thomas Jones 71 YD TD run, 210 yards overall
    2009, Week 13: 43 carries, 249 yards, 5.8 Y/A
    2010, Week 4: 49 carries, 273 yards, 5.6 Y/A LT 133 yards, 2 TDs on 19 carries, Greene 117 yards on 22 carries
    2010, Week 17: 50 carries, 276 yards, 5.5 Y/A, 2 TDs. McKnight 158 yards on 32 carries
    2011, Week 9: 39 carries, 126 yards, 3.2 Y/A, 2 TDs
    2011, Week 12: 23 carries, 138 yards, 6.0 Y/A

Totals: 6 games, 244 carries, 1380 yards, 5.7 Y/A, 7 TDs.

Buffalo ranked 28th against the run last year

Time to Ground N' Pound, bitches. Run the ball down their throats

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If the Jets can run the ball they win the game imo. Control the clock and play stifling D. And I expect them to.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we beat the hell out of them 09-10.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

IF the Jets can run the football. That is the question of the year isn't it. If they can, they stand a decent shot at a good season. If the Ground and Pound turns into the Ground and Punt, like we've seen so far this preseason, its gonna be a long assed year no matter who we're playing.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wait a minute. Looking at this you'd think the Jets have owned the Bills in the Rex era. This can't be, haven't you seen all the predictions of the Bills stomping the Jets on Sunday?

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

You're right. The Bills will never beat the Jets again because of recent history.

Someone call Roger Goodell and tell them to cancel the game.

7. Syracuse

Syracuse New Member

Without Tomlinson to share the background I'm afraid we will see a slow decline in the ability of the ground and pound. Old or not LT was one of the greatest of all time and it will be so much tougher for Shonn Greene to put up big numbers with less help from the other backs. Teams know we are going to ground and pound and the bills weak linebackers should allow the jets to do so with some efficiency. Unfortunately a great running game isn't the key to success in the NFL anymore.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I guess I missed the part where I said the Bills will never beat the Jets again. Nice strawman though.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That shows how much we miss Thomas Jones and LT.

10. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Shows how much better the O-line was in the first two years

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How so? Because of preseason?

Those two guys are washed up. RB is a young mans position. Let's see what Powell and McKnight can accomplish in a few meaningful games before we decide we need Curtis Martin back out of retirement.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Damien Woody.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thomas Two Yards and LT far past his prime did indeed benefit from superior run blocking. Neither of them were game-breakers for the Jets.

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

As we saw last year the Jets are not built to play "todays" NFL passing game (basically the spread). Sanchez and his group of misfit recievers/line-men are not capable of doing so in a league that is transitioning to smaller linbackers, more DB's, and lighter passrushers. I kind of like the approch of going aginst the grain here and remaning true to the G&P as the NFL transitions. However, we dont currently have the correct personel to run a G&P like we did in 09. We are a true blocking TE, another back, and two line-men away from being a dominate rushing team again.
    With that said, we still have enough to beat the Bills this week by running the ball and mixing in some Te-Bone-er time!

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Barry Sanders has a few years left, let's get him out of retirement!

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

TJ would always do that little hop to the right and take a hit as he falls forward a couple yards. Our O line was mauling people and he would never hit the hole hard it was so frustrating. Finally at the end of the game when the D was tired he would bust out a couple runs of 30+ yards and then his stats at the end of the day were really good. If we had a LaSean Mccoy or Ray Rice type with that 09 O line it would have been a scary good run game.

#16 Milliner is your Mommy, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  17. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Shonn Greene has no vision hes a strait ahead runner. perfect for a #2. With that said were still looking for an answer to a #1

18. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

LOL, I like this guy! He comes to this board defending that atrocious team to the death! That's a true fan right there!

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think we could see more of the same this weekend. The running game is huge this weekend. The Bills are very weak at the Linebacker position. If the Jets line can open up holes to get to that level, it will be a great day for Jets fans.

A player to run at is Arthur Moats, who will be starting sunday at Outside Linebacker for Buffalo. He is smaller and less experienced, I question his ability to get off blocks. If the offensive line can get the second level and put their hands on him it should spring the Jets running game in a big way. Nate Barnett their other OLB is a tough vet so he will probably be okay but I don't trust that Sheppard in the middle can stop the run consistently. I would also run right at Mario Williams to tire him out and get him thinking about the running game instead of teeing off on Sanchez.

Theres been a lot of talk about the Bills weak secondary but I think they will hold up fine normally but if the Jets can take advantage of their LBs in the running game they should be able to catch Gilmore cheating with the play action. I watched him alot in college, he's a gambler. He can be drawn in with a good running game and then will bite on the playaction.

The Bills defense as it is constructed matches up poorly for them against the Jets. They are built for teams like the Patriots, Saints, their own offense, etc. Teams with smaller offensive lines, more speed overall, that look to spread you out and set up the run with the pass. The league is trending that way so they got the right idea building to stop that but it doesn't bode well for them against a team like the Jets who aren't like that. The Jets O-line, if they play up to potential sunday, could get the Bills D a lot of trouble.

I'm hoping we see a day where Sanchez only has to throw it 17-20 times, a lot of them playaction. If that's the case it will be a nice W to start the season!

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The week 12 game last year was perplexing to say the least. We averaged 6 yds/carry and only ran the ball 23 times? The game was close throughout. 28-24 final. If it's working, run the goddamn ball! Fuck you Schotty.