Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I have looked at the full roster and ranked on a 4 Tier philosophy after the draft and UDFA's - I am not counting any try outs unless they get offered a contract. Please note that this is NOT a depth chart as per discussions post draft the CS have stated Geno is the starter for example - this is who makes the roster / practice squad

I am also not counting any of our outstanding FA's that have some possibility of being resigned - Fitz, Douzable, Lattimore or Owusu. I am assuming that both Pace and Colon will now be considered retired and will not be added to the mix.

Tier 1 - A lock to make the roster and is a starter or could see substantial playing time

Tier 2 - 95% certain to make the roster but is a starter who may have to hold off others or back-up capable of making a contribution

Tier 3 - On the bubble but has a decent chance to make the final 53 or practice squad

Tier 4 - Camp bodies at this point and will have to really stand out to have any chance of making the roster let alone the practice squad. This should let us see where we really have needs and where there is a lack of competition.

Please note that I may not like having to put a guy in a specific Tier (Giacomini) but am looking at the guaranteed cash and the likelihood another player listed supplants them. No GM will cut any of their picks from rounds 1-4 which is why I I have all posted as Tier 1. A current total of 90 on the roster or drafted and to be signed, breakdown as follows;

Offence 4 QBs / 8 RBs / 12 WRs / 16 OL / 7 TEs (47)
    Defence 13 DL / 12 LBs / 9 CBs / 6 S (40)
    Special Teams 2 Ks / 1 P / 1 LS (3)

There will therefore need to be two immediate moves to get the overall number to 90 - assuming no FA's signed or try outs get a contract. (Sean Hickey & Joe Anderson subsequently waived to bring total to 90) - number listed below is 91 - Mo included but not signed and will displace someone the day he does

QB -
    Tier 1 QB Christian Hackenberg, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tier 2 QB Geno Smith,

Tier 3 QB Bryce Petty

Tier 4 QB

Realise there will be a competition to start but everyone has to hope Geno steps up and takes charge unless Fitzpatrick* is resigned – and I’m not sold that it will happen. For me I saw too many occasions where Fitz looked in only one place and tried to force a downfield pass when the underneath was open. In addition when he “had to” he choked with multiple stupid interceptions. Petty & Hackenburg need to redshirt this year according to every pundit or hack.

* If Fitz resigned then curtains for either Geno or Petty - depending on CS / FO requirements, a backup who has experience or a project QB - could come down to how far Petty progresses

RB
    Tier 1 RB Matt Forte, Bilal Powell,

Tier 2 RB Khiry Robinson,

Tier 3 RB Tommy Bohanon,

Tier 4 RB Dominuque Williams, Julian Howsare, Antone Smith

Jets are likely to keep just 4-5 on the roster. The top three backs here all catch well out of the backfield and we should have more competition –not sure what happens below the top three and assume it will come down to camp and special teams play.

WR
    Tier 1 WR Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker,

Tier 2 WR Quincy Enunwa,

Tier 3 WR Kenbrell Thonpkins, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson

Tier 4 WR Jeremy Ross, Chandler Worthy,

The 3 Tier 1 WRs complement each other but we need to see Smith healthy to allow him be integrated and Enunwa’s hands need to improve. Tier 3s & 4s are all young and are unknown ahead of camp and need to step up.

Quenton Bundrage, Robbie Anderson upgraded to Tier 3 - both have speed and height on their side - shows nice hands during rookie minicamp.
    Quenton Bundrage waived after veteran mini-camp and signing of Kyle Williams

OL
    Tier 1 OL Nick Mangold, James Carpenter, Ryan Clady

Tier 2 OL Brent Qvale, Breno Giacomini,

Tier 3 OL Brian Winters, Dakota Dozier, Ben Ijalana, Wesley Johnson, Brandon Shell

Tier 4 OL Craig Watts, Dahon Taylor, Mike Liedtke

This is an area that everyone wanted to upgrade. From what I am reading the right side will be rebuilt if at all possible and the CS are hoping Qvale steps in and replaces Breno – as are we all. They have brought in a lot of competition but not sure if it is quantity over quality and we are likely to see at least one of Winters, Harrison and Dozier cut. We really need some of the Tier 3 / Tier 4 guys to step up.

Jarvis Harrison failed to impress and was in first wave of cuts from 90 to 75

TE
    Tier 1 TE BLANK

Tier 2 TE Jace Amaro , Kellen Davis, Zack Sudfeld

Tier 3 TE Wes Saxton, Brandon Bostick,

Tier 4 TE Jerome Cunningham,

Did not draft TEs and not too sure what the plan here is especially as very few receptions by Jet TEs last year - Gronk had more in 1 game Vs Jets than Jets TEs had all year!!– Amaro needs to have a good year if this area is to feature.

DL
    Tier 1 DL Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon

Tier 2 DL Jarvis Jenkins, Mike Catapano,

Tier 3 DL Deon Simon,

Tier 4 DL Claude Pelon, Tarow Barney, Lawerence Thomas

A really well stacked position and unlike others I do not want to trade any of these guys unless we absolutely have to – it is possible Mo sits due to a holdout but we also may look at a deal. We need to see what McLendon or Simon can bring to the table to make us forget we lost “snacks” in FA,This should ensure we are stout against the run and able to generate pressure without blitzing.

LB
    Tier 1 LB David Harris, Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins

Tier 2 LB Erin Hendersen

Tier 3 LB Taiwan Jones, Freddie Bishop, Trevor Reilly, Bruce Carter

Tier 4 LB Julian Stanford, Josh Martin

The Jets upgraded here and the unit has almost been totally rebuilt with just two players who were here under Rex. We need to see the new players during camp but I’m hopeful that Lee and Jenkins step in right away and that Mauldin continues to grow. The flier we took on Carter will be interesting as he has speed to burn just lacks consistency.

Freddie Bishop upgraded to Tier 3 - a good camp would see on squad of 53

Trevor Reilly and Bruce Carter downgraded to Tier 3 - Bowles did not rule bringing Calvin Pace back

CB
    T
    ier 1 CB Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams

Tier 2 CB Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Juston Burris,

Tier 3 CB

Tier 4 CB Kevin Short, Daryl Morris, Bryson Keeton

This is another real area of strength but also has some question marks as Williams has to show that his ball skills will be there as he covers better receivers. We really need Milliner and McDougle to step up and contribute, telling that Milliner was a healthy scratch at times last year.

DB
    Tier 1 DB Calvin Pryor, Marcus Gilchrist

Tier 2 DB

Tier 3 DB Rontez Miles, Ronald Martin

Tier 4 DB Doug Middleton,

Here again we are a little unsure of the starting line up and who will make the team. For me there are three players playing for just 2 slots and it will come down to camp and special teams production with Miles probably on the outside.

Kickers
    Two on the roster - probably will be a competition that will be on-going during camp - multiple tryouts also at rookie camp - Folk will be under pressure here
    Only Folk left

Punters

Two at rookie mini-camp - Bowles certain will be a competition that will be on-going during camp following rookie mini-camp
    Only L Edwards now left

Added
    Helva Matungulu DE 03/05
    Bryson Keeton CB 09/05
    Jerome Cunningham TE 09/05
    Shelby Harris DL 01/06
    Mike Liedtke OL 02/06
    Kyle Williams KR/WR 17/06
    Bernard Pierce RB 27/07
    Ryan Fitzpatrick 27/07
    Terry Williams RB 03/08
    Matthew Tucker RB 04/08
    Chris King WR 06/08
    Anthony Kelly WR 08/08
    Christo Biluidi DE 08/08
    Lache Seastrunk RB 13/08
    Terry Williams RB 14/08
    Jake Ceresna 14/08
    Antone Smith 16/08

Removed

Dalton Freeman - error on my part no longer on team 02/05
    Dave Hedelin - his FB page states signed with Cowboys 02/05
    Mathu Gibson - error on my part only a try out 07/05

WAIVED / RETIRED
    Joe Anderson WR - 05/05 Tier 4
    Sean Hickey OT - 06/05 Tier 4
    Adrien Robinson TE - 09/05 Tier 4
    Dri Archer RB/KR - 09/05 Tier 4
    Lawerence Okoye - 01/06 Tier 4
    Luke Marquardte OL - 02/06 Tier 4
    Quenton Bundrage WR - 17/06 Tier 3
    Zac Stacy RB -27/07 Tier 4
    Tom Hackett P - 27/07 Tier 3
    Kendall James CB - 03/08 Tier 4
    Terry Williams RB - 04/08 Tier 4
    Titus Davis WR - 06/08 Tier 4
    Chris King WR -08/08 Did Not Report
    Julien Obioha DL - 08/08 Waived with an injured designation now on IR
    Matthew Tucker RB -13/08 waived/injured.
    Anthony Kelly WR 14/08 Tier 4
    Christo Biluidi DE 14/08 Tier 4
    Bernard Pierce 21/08 Tier 4

First wave of cuts to get to 75 on 28/08
    Deion Barnes, Linebacker: Tier 3
    Helva Matungulu, Defensive End Tier 4
    Jesse Davis, Offensive Lineman Tier 4
    Terry Williams, Running Back Tier 4
    Ross Martin, Kicker: Tier 3
    Jason Vander Laan, Tight End Tier 4
    Kyle Friend, Center Tier 4
    Jarvis Harrison, Guard Tier 3
    Lache Seastrunk, Running back Tier 4
    Shelby Harris, Defensive Line Tier 4
    Kyle Williams, Receiver: Tier 4

Final 3 cuts on 29/08
    Romar Morris, Running Back Tier 4
    Jake Ceresna, Defensive Line Tier 4
    Dion Bailey, Safety Tier 3

Placed on PUP

Devin Smith

Placed on IR

Julien Obioha DL 10/08

#1 Will, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's amazing how much more I like our LB depth chart today than I did 3 days ago. Went from a bunch of old, slow, post-prime players to having 3 promising guys (Lee, Mauldin, Jenkins) who have the potential to be on the group for 10 years. Awesome.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Nice write up !

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

LBs 2 young studs and addition by subtraction Demario Davis and Pace

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey where does our OL draftee Shell go? lol

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Petty beats out Hack

JetLifeLo likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

QB better
    RB better
    OL ?
    TE train wreck
    WR better
    DL Same
    LB better
    DB same
    K same
    P thank God light years better

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

rontez miles, juston burris, Brandon Shell all tier 2 . McDougle tier 3

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I overlooked Shell - and have added him, assigned to Tier 3 - please note that this is not a depth chart as per discussions post draft the CS have stated Geno is the starter for example - this is who makes the roster / practice squad

9. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

hey guys whats up, I'm new to posting here but I come on here a lot as a guest and read a lot of the posts, as far as the tiers u put these guys in, all the guys in the 2nd tier except maybe for geno are making this team, its not even 95 percent, its guaranteed 100 percent, and maybe we can now get rid of giacomini lol

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely done

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put Jenkins in tier one.

12. stevejets38

i would, they're keeping most of the draft picks, especially a 3rd rounder, u could say that about a 7th rounder but we're definitely keeping Hackett and peake , god I love those picks lol

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Carter and Henderson definitely deserve to be ahead of him. I like Jenkins but I have questions about how his athleticism will translate to the NFL. I think the boards expectations of him are a little to high.

Also I'm expecting Robby Anderson to make the roster. He's our diamond in the rough signing.

14. stevejets38

carter and Henderson are inside guys, along with harris, lee, Taiwan jones, we're pretty loaded at LB now

15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

TE isn't horrible due to Chan not using a TE at all. Still we could really use a stock big blocking solid hand TE. Just somebody you could toss an outlet to every now and then that wouldn't put it on the ground as often as Enunwa and Amaro do.

16. DrM

DrM Member

Wish TE position was more involved, but can't say we'll miss Cumby....

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Man, I'm so intrigued with how many RB, WR and TE we will start the season. Could we have 10-12 tied to just these 3 positions? Add 3 QBs and 12 OL and we might be over the allocation. We could actually loose some talent at the WR position

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good job. Just one correction. Dalton Freeman is no longer on the roster.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nice job but McDougle =tier 3 at best and probably camp casualty; is Freeman back on jets?

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No.

tomdeb likes this.