Jets reportedly tried to replace Hackett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, May 13, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I think the bold is nonsense. You totally ignore the outsider coach's perspective on what he had to gain or lose from the situation and what it would be like having to work with Saleh, Hackett, Rodgers and Carter. As well as they keep things in house, why in the world would the Jets allow it to leak out that they had tried to hire someone? What purpose would that serve except to create more of a gulf breach with Rodgers and Hackett and more dysfunction. Why would any OC (or even OC wannabe) worth a damn take a job where he would have to deal with a dysfunctional situation with Saleh, Hackett, Downing, Carter and Rodgers? The playbook wouldn't change. Rodgers wouldn't change, and he would routinely change plays at the LOS. The OC (or whateve his job title would be) would have little or no control of the situation. If things went well, Saleh, Hackett and Rodgers would get the credit, but if they went south, then that OC/Supervisor would get the lion share of the blame. There would be no job security whatsoever. That person would know that if the Jets didn't make the playoffs, that more than likely the entire CS (including him) would be fired. Even if they won the SB, there's no guarantee that he would be back the following year or that it would help his career any at all. If I was an NFL offensive coach, I wouldn't have even interviewed. I have more pride, self-respect, and would trust that I would get an opportunity elsewhere if I kept doing my job at a high level. My late father-in-law had a great saying that is appropos..."If you play with shit, you're going to get some on you." The situation with the Jets would be much more likely to harm someone's career rather than help.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

As the post I quoted rightly pointed out there is only 32 of these NFL gigs. The concept idea nobody would want one is the true nonsense there imo.

As for the rest and what is essentially questioning the rationality with a long standing tendency this franchise has to lean IN to dysfunction....New York Jets. That is my simply reply to that :)

3. NCJetsfan

Oh, there would be those who would want it, but imo those are not the ones you'd want to hire. Anyone worth a damn wouldn't even consider it.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there reports last year from sources that it went beyond just being bad at football strategy.

That Hackett reportedly didn’t do all the work during the week that is up to the usual NFL standard?

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it was telling when Rodgers was taking about what he liked with Hackett last year and it all boiled down to zany behavior and unorthodox football lessons. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear "genius" or "innovator" or even "great coach" anywhere in there. But we got the GOLD ZONE!

6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Lack of preparation, last minute game planning, no discipline.
    Seeing Lazard kicking a soccer ball around in the middle of practice tells you everything you need to know.

stinkyB, BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a serious misunderstanding going on right now about what Hackett's role on the Packers was. People are thinking this is like Gase on the Broncos where Peyton was so smart that he didn't need an OC, so as long as Rodgers is healthy, we don't have to worry about Hackett being bad. In reality, Matt LaFleur was the brains behind the Packers offense, and there's no indication that Rodgers is capable of being his own OC like Peyton was. Sure Rodgers will be better than Zach because everyone this side of Nathan Peterman is better than Zach. But that doesn't mean Hackett (and age/health) won't make Rodgers mediocre this season.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The idea of using PR to get ahead of something at this point is massive speculation. We have no clue what is going on. Leave it to Jet fans to find conspiracy with every two bit article written to justify their jobs. We know exactly where NH stands…or not. No mystery.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's kind of a small miracle we won 7 games last year... :confused:

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just doubt that’s how it works. Forget a position coach that would get a huge pay bump and credibility bump if it works out, there are a ton of retread offensive coordinators that have no job offers anywhere that I’m sure would take the job if offered.

The Jets wanted to replace him so badly they didn’t interview anyone?

This is just a Douglas and Saleh PR move to try to cover their asses if this thing crashes and burns.

11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

The first image that came to my head was one of Woody making it a point next February to basically make the same matter-of-fact proclamation he made this winter about 2023's backup QB situation.

12. NCJetsfan

Where do you get that they didn't interview anyone? I read that they interviewed 2-3 individuals.

13. BrowningNagle

I’ll bet the front office wanted someone else but Saleh is loyal to Hackett from their position coach days back in Jacksonville

big divide on this team

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

My point is that the coaching staff is aware of other team's systems and plays. For various reasons, they may not run those plays, but the staff has to know what other teams are doing. That's bare minimum competency.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

First person pushed off the boat if it starts sinking.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree that it's bare minimum competency. I disagree that the Jets offensive staff possesses it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"The guy I wanted was scapegoated for a shitty QB selection....."

18. BrowningNagle

If the offense is 32nd ranked (out of 32) and he leads that offense, he’s not much of a scapegoat

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was referring to the guy before hackett ;)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's all Zach's fault! :mad:

stinkyB likes this.