Jets @ Patriots Pregame

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by gustoonarmy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Oh well , for anyone living on another planet............

I'll be amazed if Brady doesn't go after Revis all day long.

Last meeting

Tom Brady connected on 22 of 28 passes and three touchdowns, including Randy Moss' first TD as a member of the Patriots, in New England's 38-14 victory in Week 1.

Streaks
    The Patriots have won eight of the last nine meetings, but the Jets lead the overall series, 48-45-1.

[​IMG]
    All eyes will be on Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini, as the Patriots host the Jets this Sunday.

Last week
    The Patriots scored 20 unanswered points and did not allow a single sack en route to a 34-13 victory against Pittsburgh. Brady had 399 passing yards and four touchdown passes -- two to Moss -- to help the Patriots become just the fifth team in NFL history to go 13-0. ... While the Jets were settling for field goals, Browns running back Jamal Lewis rushed for 118 yards and a touchdown. Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens eventually managed to run in for six, but it was too little, too late as Cleveland won, 24-18.

At stake

The Patriots have already locked up the division and a first-round bye but may have revenge on their mind with Eric Mangini's Jets coming to town. Surely they don't want their march to history blocked by Mangini, the one responsible for blowing the whistle on Bill Belichick's illegal video recordings. ... The Jets have beem elimininated from postseason play but always manage to play the Patriots tough. If Mangini can get his guys up for this matchup, he may just save face in what has been a disappointing season.

Key matchup
    Tom Brady vs. Jets secondary. In Week 1, Brady picked apart the Jets' defensive backs to set the pace for what is becoming a potentially record-breaking season. Since then, Jets rookie CB Darrelle Revis has recorded two interceptions and 75 tackles (second on the team), and safety Kerry Rhodes (five interceptions) has continued to establish himself as the primary cog in the Jets' 11th-ranked pass defense.

Did you know?
    With 19 touchdown receptions, Moss needs four more to to tie Jerry Rice (22 in 1987) for the all-time single-season record. ... Jets running back Thomas Jones needs 56 rushing yards to reach 1,000 and become the first Jets running back to reach the mark since Curtis Martin did it in 2004

New England Dirrty Patriots

PROBABLE QB Tom Brady (shoulder)
    QUESTIONABLE TE Benjamin Watson (ankle), OG Stephen Neal (shoulder), LB Mike Vrabel (thigh), SS James Sanders (knee)
    OUT OG Billy Yates (foot)
    INJURED RESERVE RB Justise Hairston (hamstring), RB Sammy Morris (chest), TE David Thomas (foot), DL Mike Wright (foot), LB Rosevelt Colvin (foot), LB Oscar Lua (leg), CB Michael Richardson (hand), CB Chad Scott (knee)

New York Clean Jets

PROBABLE QB Kellen Clemens (thigh), WR Brad Smith (back), TE Joe Kowalewski (shoulder)
    QUESTIONABLE WR Laveranues Coles (ankle), WR Jerricho Cotchery (finger), WR Justin McCareins (thigh), TE Chris Baker (back), TE James Dearth (foot), DL Dewayne Robertson (knee)
    INJURED RESERVE FB Stacy Tutt (knee), WR Chansi Stuckey (knee), LB Jonathan Vilma (knee), CB Justin Miller (knee)

#1 gustoonarmy, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. gustoonarmy

No shortage of drama as Patriots host Jets
    Associated Press

Four days before Sunday's rematch between the New England Patriots and New York Jets, the "Spygate" scandal took a new twist. This time, Jets coach Eric Mangini was the one defending himself.

[​IMG]
    Randy Moss recorded a season-high 183 yards in Week 1 vs. the Jets.

In a game that had already promised to contain plenty of drama before the latest revelation, the Patriots look to remain unbeaten when they take on the Jets at Gillette Stadium.

Sunday's matchup was sure to be a charged affair, since it is the first between the teams since Mangini, the Patriots' defensive coordinator under coach Bill Belichick as recently as 2005, tipped off the NFL about New England's use of an on-field camera to tape opponents' signals during the teams' Week 1 meeting.

On Wednesday, though, it was reported that the Jets had cameramen removed by the Patriots from field level at Gillette Stadium during last season's playoff game between the teams, won 37-16 by New England. Mangini denied that they were taping signals, and said the Jets had received permission to have the cameras. He also said the Patriots hadn't requested permission at the Meadowlands.

"We taped the game, is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

It's just the latest chapter in the so-called "Spygate," which began in September, when Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were docked $250,000 and next year's first-round draft pick after the NFL's investigation of the Jets' claims.

New England beat New York 38-14 in that first meeting and has won 12 more since, becoming just the fifth team in NFL history to start a season 13-0. The Patriots have blown out most of their opponents along the way, and many have pointed to the "Spygate" flap as their motivation.

The Patriots nearly saw their unbeaten run come to an end two straight weeks, as they managed to prevail by three points over Philadelphia and Baltimore before rolling past Pittsburgh 34-13 on Sunday. New England seemed to respond to bulletin-board material last week, as Steelers safety Anthony Smith guaranteed in the days leading up to the game that Pittsburgh would deal the Pats their first loss.

--------------------------------------------

Now comes the matchup with the Jets (3-10), and it would seem that Belichick and New England would have revenge on their minds with Mangini and his team coming to town.

Predictably, neither coach would talk about any tension between them.

"You know, I've said how I felt about Bill many times and, really, it hasn't changed from the first time we played each other," Mangini said Monday. "I have a lot of respect for him and he did a lot of things for me and has helped me significantly throughout my career to develop. That hasn't changed one bit for me."

Still, Mangini repeatedly called "Spygate" a "league matter," and despite being asked numerous times about the events of Week 1 during Monday's press conference, Belichick didn't discuss Mangini or the incident specifically. He only vowed to "approach it like every other game."

"We try to win every week, believe it or not. It may not look like it at times, but we do," Belichick said. "We try to play our best game out there every week and we try to win every week, so we're going to try to win this week."

Last week's win over the Steelers was as impressive as any of them. Pittsburgh came in at 9-3, while the Patriots had struggled to the narrow victories the previous two weeks.

New England, though, victimized Pittsburgh's injured secondary, throwing for 399 yards while rushing for just 22, as Tom Brady completed 32 of his 46 passes and threw four touchdowns and no interceptions.

"This is the point in the year when we're going to have to start playing our best football," offensive tackle Matt Light said. "I don't think anyone can say we've been doing that the past couple of weeks. It's good to be back on track."

Two of Brady's touchdowns went to Randy Moss, who has 19 TD receptions on the season, three short of the NFL record of 22, set by Jerry Rice in 1987. Brady also has 45 touchdown passes this year, four shy of Peyton Manning's record 49 in 2004.

Moss had his season high in receiving yards against the Jets in Week 1, catching nine passes for 183 yards and a touchdown in his New England debut.

After Smith guaranteed the Steelers would beat the Patriots, the Jets appear to be trying the opposite approach -- flattery.

"It's been impressive to see them, even though they're in our division and are foes of ours. To see a team playing this well, you can only applaud them," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "... With all the accolades and all the things we know they can do, we're still going to come out and play hard. We're not going to come out and lay down."

Despite a disappointing year that followed a playoff season, the Jets have shown fight in recent weeks, winning two of three before their 24-18 home loss to Cleveland last week, including a 19-16 overtime win over the Steelers. The Jets were also the last team to beat the Patriots at Gillette Stadium, winning 17-14 last year in the regular season.

Counting the wild-card game, though, the Jets have lost six of seven on the road, the only victory coming at winless Miami 40-13 two weeks ago. They've lost nine of 10 overall to New England.

Against the Browns, New York got within 17-15 in the final two minutes, but failed two recover two onside kick attempts. Thomas Jones had 106 yards rushing and Kellen Clemens was 24-of-41 for 286 yards, but he threw two costly interceptions.

In eight games this season (six as a starter), Clemens has thrown four touchdowns and nine interceptions, with just a 52.2 completion percentage.

The Jets' defense has also struggled, ranking 28th in the league with 350.2 yards allowed per game. The rush defense is ranked 30th (141.9 ypg).

"We're not happy where we are right now," Rhodes said. "We definitely thought we would be in the thick of things and we're not."

Rhodes said he thought the Jets would need to win the turnover battle, but that has proved a difficult task against New England this season. The Patriots have turned the ball over a league-low 10 times, six fewer than any other team. The league record is 12, set by Kansas City in 1982.

Only one team -- the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins -- has started a season 14-0.

3. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

"With 19 touchdown receptions, Moss needs four more to to tie Jerry Rice (22 in 1987) for the all-time single-season record."

Oops!:wink: Small math error, or grammatical error, depending on your point of view...

4. gustoonarmy

Ha Ha , I was wondering when you'd turn up :wink:

5. gustoonarmy

KFFLs take...

New York Jets at New England Patriots
    Jets RB Thomas Jones vs. Patriots run defense
    New England's run defense is only 14th in the league. The Jets will probably look to run the ball to try to keep some pressure off quarterback Kellen Clemens, plus slow down the Patriots' blitzes. This season, Jones has four 100-yard games, including a 106-yard effort against the Cleveland Browns in the last game. Jones had 99 yards on 23 carries versus the Patriots as a member of the Chicago Bears last season.

Jets offensive line vs. Patriots defensive line
    The Jets' offensive line of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Adrien Clarke, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore and Anthony Clement has struggled to keep its quarterbacks upright: Between them, Clemens and quarterback Chad Pennington have been sacked 39 times (seventh most in the NFL); running back Thomas Jones is averaging 3.7 yards per carry. New York will need to be able to run the ball to have any chance against New England. The Pats' defensive line group got back to staying with its assignments last week against the Pittsburgh Steelers. New England said that was part of the problem against the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens. Nose tackle Vince Wilfork and defensive end Jarvis Green both had sacks in the Steelers game.

Patriots WR Randy Moss vs. Jets CB Darrelle Revis
    Revis started on opening day in his NFL debut, and although he didn't cover Moss exclusively, he had his problems against him. The veteran wideout caught passes over Revis' head and blew right past him on a 51-yard touchdown catch on which Moss beat three defenders. Moss finished with nine receptions for 183 yards and one touchdown. With 12 games since under his belt, Revis may fare a bit better this week. If he doesn't, though, the Jets' top alternative is cornerback Hank Poteat, and the journeyman likely won't fare any better against Moss, who has 19 touchdown catches and 1,264 yards this season. The Jets likely will look to double team Moss, but unless they get pressure on quarterback Tom Brady (the Jets had no sacks in the first meeting), he should have time to find the superstar wideout.

6. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

So far, it is looking like a real Nor'easter coming our way Sunday...should make for some great football on TV. This is one of the reasons why football is so much better than baseball....you play in a blizzard! Woo Hoo!

Of course, I'll be snuggly warm with a cold beer and hot wings....:drunk:

7. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

I think since the weather conditions will suck, it should be a low scoring game, the Jets will have an oppurtunity to win, but the refs will make the wrong decision in the end..:)

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

There is almost no downside for a Jets fan in this game.

In a perfect world, The Jets would go down and score a go ahead TD, with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

Say Jets 16 Pats 10.

Kick the ensuing kickoff, down the ball on the one, with two seconds left.

Then as the Pats line up to snap the ball,
    walk off the field, and let the Pats score 7.

In the Post game, Eric would come out and say,

"We know we beat them, and they know we beat them,but Don Shula
    has had this coming for a long time. Don, you should have covered that field, back in 83."

9. Kenny

Kenny New Member

I guess that guy that was giving a preview and said Moss ran right past Revis for a 51 yard touchdown doesn't know what zone defense is. He let Moss go and we had 3 guys on him, Colemanm, Vilma as the trail guy and I forgot who the other guy was.

Revis was rarely on Moss since that was his first game of his career, Justin Miller covered him early in the game and got beat badly.

10. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Let's Go Jets! :jets:

11. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

GO JETS!!!

all in favor of seeing Brokeback Brady suffer a career-ending injury say I!!!

12. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

All in favor of seeing you fall on some ice and bleed out on the sidewalk say "Aye"

13. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Yikes. Here, have a drink.:beer:

14. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I'm just getting a little sick of this in allthe forums here, I mean you don't wish injury on anyone, not even shawn merriman. If Brady was on the jets these same guys would treat him like a god. Rooting for someone to play poorly is fine, but hoping for an injury that ends a guy's career just because he happens to be good and the jets suck this year is pretty low. My point was that noone roots for this schmuck to get badly injured why should he do it for a player.

15. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I think this IS the GAME.......We will win!

16. gustoonarmy

I'm with you all the way there. I live and breathe Jets more than I do any other sport , and if you ever meet me would know how much that is.
    Anyone whos ever played the sport will tell you , warriors on the field , friends off it.
    lets get this into perspective , Brady is a faggot , shirt lifter , back door boi , whatever..........but he is an amazing QB , and as a fan of football am priviledged to have been able to say , I saw him play. Just as I did with Montana and Mariono :wink:
    Its only a game , lets not wish such terrible things on any player.

17. BillBelichick07

BillBelichick07 New Member

Good lord, shut that man off! It's obvious that he is beyond strumbling drunk.

18. Canadian

Canadian New Member

19. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I'd like to win this week, thanks.

20. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

:pats_suck: :pats_suck: :pats_suck: :pats_suck:

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!