Jets (Only) 7 Round Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BakerMaker, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

DAY 1:

[​IMG]
    ROUND 1: FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville
    Fans might boo this pick given its another defensive player but lets be honest.....safety is one of, if not our biggest need right next to cornerback at this point and time. Especially Free Safety play. Pryor offers very good value at pick 18 and becomes a real toy for Rex and Thurman to utilize as he's a hard hitting, good instinct ballplayer who will be the fixture at one of the safety spots for years to come. Jets brass, particularly John Idzik were in attendance for Louisville's Pro Day....so they got a first hand look at Pryor. The Jets have never drafted a pure safety in the 1st round in their franchise history....they have drafted two CB/S in Russell Carter and Burgess Owens, the former was the last time back in 1984....so we're due for a drafted safety in round 1.

Take note Ebron/Dennard/Gilbert/Evans did not make it to pick 18.

DAY 2:

[​IMG]
    ROUND 2: CB Stanley-Jean Baptiste, Nebraska
    Another possible boo by the fans who will be coming just for this pick given the possible trade. Might be a tadbit of a reach given Baptiste is being looked at as a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick but given where I think our 3rd round pick goes, we won't have much of a say here barring a trade down. I'm not really breaking news here but getting a cornerback in the draft is a pretty big deal given there's next to nothing on the free agency market. Baptiste offers a very sound fundamental and good instinct playmaker in the secondary but his downside is he turns 24 in Mid-April. Perfect No.2 CB if they value Milliner as a go to cornerback. He likes to bump WRs from the line and is a real good fit for a team that wants to have their corners play press.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 3: TRADED for WR Desean Jackson
    Whether you like this or not, it seems likely to happen given the Jets might be the lone team willing to make a deal with Philly. Getting Jackson gives us a speedster WR and a dynamic playmaker which crosses off a big need heading into this draft of getting a speedster target for Geno/Vick. Should take a 3rd round pick to get the job done for this deal.

2. BakerMaker

DAY 3

[​IMG]
    ROUND 4(TB's Pick): TE CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa
    Seems like the coaching staff/TE positional coach is high on Jeff Cumberland as he's another year removed from his Torn Achilles injury. Now whether or not Cumberland will succeed as a starting Tight End in the league is a whole other story which is why getting a blocking-oriented Tight End in this draft is vital. Given the Big Four are gone in Ebron, ASJ, Amaro and Niklas....here comes the 5th TE off the board and one who could warrant a late 3rd round pick, even purely for his blocking in Fiedorowicz.

While questions may arise about his potential and if he can be a starting tight end who can help our a QB or his fellow targets by not allowing safeties to cheat on a Desean Jackson or Eric Decker, the guy is someone who Rex will love purely for his nastyness as a blocker and hole creator. He can fill in Day 1 and be a utilized weapon in the running game and also add to both Colon and Giacomini for that absolute nasty, dreaded right side that Ivory and Powell will be salivating towards running at.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 4: RB/WR/KR Dri Archer, Kent State

As some know, Archer has been one of my favorite players dating back to last year. Had he come out last year, he might have threatened to be a round 3 lock but this year he battled with injuries and also being on a far inferior team to what Kent State was in 2012. Still though, despite his size and body weight, the guy is by far THE fastest player in this draft. He makes so many defensive players miss in the open field and on screens and checkdowns, the guy could be deadly.....which would go a long way for Geno Smith given how much he flourished with Tavon Austin doing the same thing.

While kick returning has been killed off by the new rules, Archer is also a deadly kick returner and should be the fixture there for years to come. Given our backs of Powell and Ivory, Archer would fit the billing of that home run hitting back...especially given Goodson tearing his ACL and there being a chance he doesn't regain his best asset, his speed. Archer obviously isn't an every down back due to his size and weight but when used correctly, he will be such a weapon that defensive coordinators will need to game plan for him.

If you liked Leon Washington like I am sure plenty of Jet fans did, you're gonna love Lil' Dri Archer. He's every bit quicker. I think he's a faster and more dynamic player than McCluster(Not better Receiver though, McCluster was a bit more polished than Archer when at Ole Miss)....might not be as fluid as say Darren Sproles but he's not far behind. We showed interest in Tavon Austin last year.....Darren Sproles as a trade option this year.....and flirted with signing Andrew Hawkins, a restricted free agent. We've shown our hand as far as wanting a little, gadget-ty type of a speed killer and maybe outside of Thomas of Oregon, there's no one who fits the billing more here than Archer. To me Archer and the Jets is one of the best fits for this 2014 draft....Jets need that speed game changer in the open field, and Archer can be beloved by the fans if/when he shows on the field.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 4(Comp Pick.): WR Brandon Coleman, Rutgers

If Coleman had the year he did in 2012, he'd be a day 2 lock....but because of health issues that haunted him this past season and to go along with him some mental issues(Drops), Coleman finds himself in this deep class verging of dropping out of round 4. That was until the Jets got themselves a surprising 4th round pick in compensation. Despite adding Decker and Jackson, we can still use a big wide out with a lot of upside, especially if the Front Office has lost faith in Stephen Hill. With Coleman, you get a big target who has very good speed, great use of his body in air and an improving blocker. He'd be the team's number four WR on the depth chart, maybe number five if David Nelson or Stephen Hill outshine him in training camp.

At the very least, year 1 Coleman offers a very solid, big red zone target for the Jets which we'll need. Also I figure the Jets will throw Ray Lucas a bone LOL. I can just see his lovefest with Coleman every Sunday after the game if Coleman has a strong game.

Jackson/Decker/Kerley/Coleman/Hill or Nelson sounds like a splendid five WR group to me.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 5: OLB Prince Shembo, Notre Dame

Its not a Baker draft without an Irish player drafted LOL. Not including the shady possible rape assault he had a few years ago since its still dicey or unknown if it really happened(I have no idea if this affects him in the draft), Shembo is another Rex Ryan type of guy that he loves. Shembo had a down year this season as far as production goes but the one thing that's his bread and butter is his open field tackling and good instinct on running plays. He's not the quickest guy so he might not be a sack total type of player but as a backup insurance for Pace and/or Coples, he's a nice find in round 5. He really needs to be a 3-4 OLB IMO. He doesn't have some crazy burst or athleticism but as a depth player and someone to play the run, he's a nice rotational guy. Pretty significant part on the Irish talented defense that help lead them to a National Title game 2 years back.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 6: SS Isaiah Lewis, Michigan State
    IMHO, we need to double dip with safeties and cornerbacks with the surplus of picks we have now. We got ourselves our fixture at Free Safety for the future in Pryor...now we hope to get something at the Strong Safety spot with Lewis. Lewis like his fellow 2014 draftees Bullough and Dennard was another important piece of that vaunted Spartan defense. Good run stopper, very nice upside too. Might mean Jarrett is out of a job as the backup to Antonio Allen and I would have Lewis and Allen battle it out for the starting SS job, with Allen having the lead to start given he's the incumbent and wasn't all that bad for the team last season.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 6(Comp Pick): CB Ross Cockrell, Duke

Why not add another cornerback for pure depth to what we have in Milliner/Wilson/Baptiste/Walls/Lankster? Cockrell was a vital part for the Blue Devil resurgence in 2013, and should provide good depth in round 6 with one of the comp picks. Again not the biggest playmaker but a very sound cornerback nevertheless.

I would like to sign Carlos Rogers on a 1 year deal preferably and if so, we might draft a project RT to push Oday.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 6(Comp Pick): OG Chris Watt, Notre Dame
    Another solid, pure depth pick....Watt was a big part of what the Irish did on the ground the past few years, doing a good job creating holes for the countless number of backs Notre Dame used during Watt's time as a starter. Another 3 year starter for Idzik and Co., Watt at the very least provides depth if/when Colon gets hurt and Campbell isn't ready. Makes Vlad Ducasse(Letdown by his production, thought he'd be decent for us) look raw as uncooked meat. I'd have Watt try and compete for that LG spot with Brian Winters and Campbell, with Winters being hoped to take that job by storm come training camp. We defintely need to spend a Day 3 pick on a guard, would love to get a guard/RT hybrid but its bigger to get a guard given Colon's health past and Winters still being unreliable as a pass protecting at LG.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 6(Comp Pick): P Kirby Van Der Kamp, Iowa State
    Can't say I know a whole lot about the guy since there wasn't many Cyclone games on nationally but he kicked outside and might not even make it to the Jets comp picks given he's viewed as the best punter in this draft class. We have needed a long time fixture punter for years now and this might be new Jets ST coach Thomas McGaughey's pick of the draft. Its 11 maybe 12 picks, I think he'll get a shot at his own punter. Pretty skinny guy but a punter's a punter and if we seek to be a ground and pound/defensive minded team, the field position battle becomes huge if we can't put points on the board.

[​IMG]
    ROUND 7: ILB Max Bullough, Michigan State
    I think had he not come off his random suspension in the BCS game vs Stanford, he might have gone a round higher but getting him in the middle of round 7 would be a coup, one that might not even happen. He's a really good leader of what was a great defense and physical linebacker....perfect for depth. Him and Bellore will provide stable ILB backup play to Davis and Harris. Should be a nice player on special teams too, as you need to be as a 7th rounder. Should stick on this Jet team for years, even if its in a very limited role. His personality will make Rex and Co. pretty happy. Bullough has been bulking up to entice 3-4 teams as an ILB option heading into the draft process.

3. BakerMaker

We'll have open Competition at:

QB(Vick vs Smith)
    RB(Ivory vs Powell for starting gig)
    LG(Winters vs Campbell vs Watt)
    TE(Fiedorowicz vs Cumberland vs Sudfeld)
    2nd CB(Wilson vs Baptiste vs Walls vs Cockrell)
    SS(Allen vs Lewis)
    FS(Pryor vs Bush)

Bold would be the winners most likely.....

I know this is a real defensive oriented draft, and that the fans might be a bit soured after the 1st 2 days but hopefully that 4th round of offensive additions would bring the morale back. A lot of grit and a lot of tough/big players drafted which would fir the mold of a nasty defense/ground and pound squad that Rex craves for.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On day 1 and day 2 were those the best players available?

I have no problem taking defensive players if the value is there but I really don't want the Jets to reach to fill holes on the defense if there are offensive players who are more valuable available on the picks.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like most of the players you chose, but imo, Pryor is a fairly large reach at #18 as is Jean-Baptiste in round 2. If you were gonna take Pryor, you needed to trade down at least 5 if not 7 or more spots, and the same probably goes for Jean-Baptiste. I don't want DJax and especially don't like trading our 3rd for him. For me, those three choices lowered the grade on your draft from an A to a C-, maybe a D or lower. You just don't reach like that in the draft.

#5 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If we draft D with our first two picks I might rage vomit. In a vacuum those picks are fine but without seeing who else was available it's hard to judge. Even if those guys were 9/10 value at those spots (somehow) and there were WRs and TEs that were 7/10 value at those spots I would still draft the WR/TE instead.

Keep in mind I'm talking about value of spot we're picking at and not value of the prospect themselves, for this purpose I'm assuming very similar value of the prospect.

7. BakerMaker

Honestly....Pryor might not even make it to pick 18. He might get looked at by St Louis or Baltimore, both of whom pick before us. Baptiste is a bit of a reach admittedly but I don't think we can afford to bank our CBs on Day 3 post Jackson trade and I think Baptiste might be a late round 2/early round 3 pick so its not a major reach.

I don't want to give a 3rd round pick for Jackson either but that's what Philly wants and I think we will give what they want.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we got D-Jax (good terms), then I wouldn't mind this draft. If that trade doesn't go down, I think we still go offense (WR).
    I'm not a huge fan of a CB in the 2nd round. I think the later rounds you should look to draft 1 or 2 CBs - I feel that 2nd round pick was a need pick, not a BPA pick.

9. NCJetsfan

I don't see Pryor going that high. I also don't like not taking a WR, even though I'm sure you count DJax as your drafted WR. To pass on taking a WR in this draft would be criminal. I like all the players except Shembo, and don't even hate him. Reaching and trading the 3rd for DJax is what ruined it for me. I think they'd all be solid additions to the team, but not getting value in the first 2 rounds really hurts, and not getting a WR would hurt the team a year or two down the road.

10. BakerMaker

Baptiste is a good player and I think he's the best available cornerback by the time we pick. Not a fan of waiting until round 4 or 5 to start going after by far our biggest need.

I want Rogers signed on a 1 year deal for this reason. Way too much to wait on cornerback for.

11. BakerMaker

Green Bay will run to the podium if Pryor is somehow there at pick 21. He might get taken higher than HaHa and be the top safety chosen. We should be happy if one of Ebron/Dennard/Pryor make it to pick 18.

I took Coleman to end round 4. Good player who had a down year this past year for Rutgers due to health and a big body WR with a lot of potential. Hope he can get past his dropsies besides outside of that, he might be a bargain by late round 4.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I'll probably cry if we take another defensive player in round 1. Rex is suppose to be a defensive genius. I'd rather go with Antonio Allen than take Pryor round 1.
    Today's reports are that D-Jax is staying in philly.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

While I wouldn't be thrilled giving up a 3rd for DJ, I understand the reason behind the move. The move seems to be more like a Tanny move than Idzik, so we will seee what happens. If we don't get DJ, all bets are off and we need to address the WR in Rd 1 with Cooks, Beckham or Lee.

I've been wanting to post my current mock I've been working on, but I'm waiting to see want happens with DJ.

In your scenario I love getting Pryor & Baptiste back to back. It looks like that CB market has pretty much dried up in FA, at least a solid starter, so we have to address in the draft or a trade. Another second round Corner you could also consider is Marcus Roberson. Roberson has had some injuries and might have been a 1st Rd player with some more luck.

A CB that I really love is Kyle Fuller, he's right now in limbo area for the Jets, very late Rd 1 or early Rd 2, his stock could rise.

I don't know if CJ will be available in the top of rd 4, it may be close.

Not a fan of the Rutger's Wideout, I'd rather take a shot at Bryant in Clemson in rd 4. Bryant has a higher ceiling and would come cheap in rd 4/5.

Cockrell making to rd 6 would be a steal, don't think it's happening.

Golden Domers (no surprise), Crable was probably the best last NYJ.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Why??? We addressed offense with DJ, Decker, & Vick already in thia mock. The secondary is by far the weakess link. AA is a JAG, Pryor is a standout player.

15. BakerMaker

I think Pryor would start aside from Allen at Free Safety if anything. I'd still take another Safety in the draft though to challenge AA or at least beat out Jarrett for the backup role.

16. NCJetsfan

Green Bay may, but that's them, not the Jets. I wouldn't want Dennard at all. I much prefer Gilbert if the Jets are gonna take a 1st round CB. If they're not gonna go WR in the 1st round, then I hope the bpa is an OT or OLB or maybe Ebron, not a DB.

I haven't seen Coleman at all, but the scouting reports I've read on him have not been favorable at all. At this point, he seems like a project to me. Now as a comp pick in the 4th round, that's a good place for a project pick, but I think the Jets need more than a project WR out of this draft, so Coleman doesn't really count imo, and again, I don't like DJax.

I respect your opinion and choices, and they would definitely help the team, I just have some difference of opinion on where I'd like to see the Jets go.

17. BakerMaker

We're giving Giacomini starter money at RT....I don't see it for round 1. Maybe Day 3. OLB....Dee Ford would be the definition of a tadbit reach though he's a intriguing prospect and someone who can't be ruled out by the Jets.

I don't want to give up a 3rd for Jackson and if we do keep the 3rd round pick, we have the luxury of getting a CB in round 3 and then going after a TE/WR in Round 2. I think the Jets find a way to get the deal done though for Jackson, I think Jackson and the Eagles have too much bad blood in them to stay for 1 year. Kinda reminds me of the Revis situation last year...there was no going back once you reached a certain point.

I'd love it though if Philly outright cut Jackson and the Jets picked him up. That'd be sweet.

18. DoubleDecker87

We added one receiver.. One. Vick is here to hold the clipboard and mentor. I assume that DJ is Dasean Jackson who plays for the Eagles and told his teammates today he's staying in philly.

Still need a starting TE and a starting receiver.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Reread my Post......I said in this mock...we added DJ & Decker. Addressing the needs in this mock with Pryor make complete sense. It's a mock scenario, not talking about DJ staying.

20. DoubleDecker87

I saw it what it said. I wanted D-Jax just as much as anyone but he said his self this morning he's not going anywhere. No point in mocking it if it won't happen. But to play along in a dream like scenario... I'd still rather take Amaro before Pryor. Then I would love the round 2 pick,3rd would be D-Jax, and the rest isn't too bad at all.

I may be in the minority but I wouldn't mind Landry, Allen, Miles, Jarrett, and mid round pick at the safety spots.