Jets' offensive woes just a 'hiccup', Ryan says

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Glauber:

"If you need a little perspective on the Jets' offensive ineptitude in the team's two losses this season, then Rex Ryan is only too happy to provide it.

Flash back a decade ago to the 2000 Ravens, who won the Super Bowl that season despite having one of the most abysmal teams on offense in recent memory. Ryan, the team's defensive line coach that year, remembers it well.

"You think this is bad?" Ryan said Monday, barely 24 hours after his Jets were shut out, 9-0, by the Packers. "This is nothin'. This is a hiccup. The year we won the Super Bowl in Baltimore, we went five straight games without scoring an offensive touchdown. Five in a row."

So Ryan isn't pushing the panic button just yet, despite Sunday's woeful performance. Coupled with the Jets' opening-game loss to the Ravens at home, the team has totaled a measly nine points in their two losses. Neither Ryan nor the players say there is any danger of the team fracturing over the offensive woes.

"Our guys are way too professional for that," Ryan said. "There's none of that here. There's plenty of blame to go around. We're not in the blame game. We just want to win. We need to execute better as a football team in all aspects. If we do that, we'll be just fine."

It's an important issue for any team, and Ryan is well aware that promoting locker room chemistry is vital. He needs to avoid the kind of intrasquad bickering that can occur when one side of the ball isn't performing up to snuff.

In this case, the Jets' offense has been a somewhat erratic group this season. Quarterback Mark Sanchez recovered from his clunker in the opener to help key the Jets' five-game winning streak, although his spotty performance against the Broncos two weeks ago might have portended more sloppy play against the Packers. The Jets barely pulled out a fourth-quarter victory in Denver before the bye week, then put on a lackluster offensive performance in the team's first shutout loss since the 2006 season.

If the Jets are to achieve their goal of winning the Super Bowl, they'll have to pull off a rare feat: Only two teams in NFL history suffered a shutout during the regular season, then won the Super Bowl: The 1974 Steelers and the 2003 Patriots.

Will there be an undercurrent of ill will in the Jets' locker room if the offense doesn't pull out of its funk? The Jets insist it won't happen.

"We win and we lose as a football team," linebacker Bart Scott said. "We didn't win [Sunday] as a football team, and that's the way it is.''

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes , who shoulders some of the blame for the loss after he dropped what likely would have been a touchdown pass early in the third quarter, said he hoped the Jets wouldn't fracture.

"When one group of guys isn't getting the job done, it's tough to win a ballgame," Holmes said. "We expect our offense to get the job done every time.''

But there will be patience from the other side of the ball, namely a defense that is championship caliber. Take it from the Jets' best defensive player.

"You can't sit here on the defensive side of the ball and point the finger at the offense, because they're our teammates and two, we don't want to separate this locker room and guys are pointing the finger and it's getting personal," cornerback Darrelle Revis said.

Revis cited last year's offensive struggles that led to the Jets losing six of seven games midway through the season, as proof the team will stay together.

"Even in that losing streak last year, everybody just kept pushing," he said. "Everybody had one goal, and that was to get to the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl. Everybody has that mind-set again."

Encouraging words at a time when the Jets can use them most. Then again, the only thing that will make it better is if the offense starts scoring."

The last line is funny, good old Bob acts like we haven't scored all year or something. Would that missed FG really have changed the outlook on a season?

I'm sure if it was so important just to score a point they would've kicked a meaningless FG in the 4th quarter.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom..._5min&feed:c=jets&feed:i=1.2418814&nopaging=1

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well everybody has been saying that if Holmes caught that crossing route he had a TD. And if Cotch doesn't drop those passes in the 4th Q who knows how the game would have ended.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

offense hangs up 24 this week at minimum

they've allowed at least 24 points in 5 outta 7 games.....and one of those games was the blowout when Sam Bradford lost mark clayton early in the game

#3 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So wait a minute, wait a minute, WAIT A MINUTE! Are you trying to say the sky isn't falling??

5. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

It only falls on Monday, today it is almost back to normal height.

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'm done predicting what they'll do on offense. The only thing predictable is that I'll be wrong. So I'll predict the Jets score negative eleventy billion points this week. Massive loss. Stadium will implode. All life within 10 miles of the stadium will cease to exist.

7. bobby2times

bobby2times Member

Baltimore's defense scored points. Jets defense does not.

8. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

did you even read the article?

5 straight games without an OFFENSIVE TD?

That's absurd

9. Gunther

Gunther Member

We'll see. I'm not too confident in the offense right now. There are too many 3 and outs.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

Even after being shut out we have the 12th best PPG in the league. We were 3rd best before that. The offense will be fine, it was one bad game. Do people forget everything that happened before last week?

11. MadBacker Prime

So one game completely negates 6 games?

Who are you? Go away-

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Dude it's Detroit... all life within 10 miles already ceases to exist.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I am confident in the offense, guys make mistakes and screw up. Cotch dropped what 5 balls? Holmes dropped a TD? Sanchez missed Edwards which would have been a 90 yard TD? We fumbled on a wildcat trick play at their 35? We had two awful calls result in INTs? We moved the ball fine it was finishing drives that we had problems.

14. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is just what I expected from Ryan. Blow sunshine up their a$$ & coddle them. I agree - its important to avoid division within the locker room and the last thing you want is defense blaming offense & vice versa. But a shutout at home (much less losing when you hold the other team to 6 pts (I know they actually scored 9, but should have only ended up w/6pts )) is unacceptable & should be communicated as such. This was the only thing I really liked about Parcells -- when the JETS lost, his message to them was "you'd better play well if you want to keep your job."

15. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sure he lit into some people behind closed doors.

16. MadBacker Prime

I guess you missed Hard Knocks, please do not start in on Rex complaints.

We are 5-2, and of the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs.

17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right - he would keep that kind of thing in the locker room

18. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

That wasn't a hiccup...it was projectile vomit.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Cimini:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5754023

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The temperature dipped outside, but it was plenty hot Monday in the meeting rooms at the New York Jets' facility.

Less than 24 hours after only the third home shutout in the past 16 years, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer lit into his underachieving unit, according to several players. One player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told ESPNNewYork.com it was "more intense" than any meeting he'd experienced in recent memory.

Rex Ryan, addressing the entire team, also fumed over the 9-0 loss to the Green Bay Packers. As one player said, "Rex was pretty pissed -- and rightfully so."

The ugly offensive performance included six dropped passes, three turnovers and five penalties by a unit that includes six current or former Pro Bowl players and one former Super Bowl MVP. It snapped a five-game winning streak for the Jets (5-2), and it provided plenty of fodder for Schottenheimer, who, as anybody who watched the "Hard Knocks" series knows, has a fiery side.

"It was a tough meeting to sit through," right tackle Damien Woody said. "The coaching staff, they were critical about everything ... Even the coaches were tough on themselves for some of the plays. Hey, that's what it's going to take in order for us to get better."

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes described Schottenheimer's message to the team this way: "Unacceptable ... Inexcusable. Everything that happened was inexcusable. There's no pointing fingers in our offensive room. Get it corrected and we'll be ready to roll next week."

Holmes and fellow receiver Jerricho Cotchery were the Drospey Twins. The usually sure handed Cotchery dropped three passes in the fourth quarter alone. Holmes dropped two, including a five-yard drag route in the open field that could've gone for a 45-yard touchdown.

There also were the two interceptions in which Cotchery and tight end Dustin Keller were outmuscled for the ball by Green Bay cornerbacks.

Braylon Edwards described the problem as an "arrogance" among the receivers, claiming they need to get back to the fundamentals of catching passes. The Jets aren't known as a team with bad hands.

Going into Sunday, they had 11 drops in six games, according to STATS LLC -- including four by Keller, two apiece by Cotchery and Holmes and one by Edwards.

Sunday's debacle went beyond dropped passes. Quarterback Mark Sanchez, suffering his worst statistical game in nearly a year, also failed to locate open receivers. On the second-to-last possession, Edwards was wide open in the end zone, but Sanchez threw an incompletion in the corner of the end zone to a well-covered Cotchery.

"No one was within 20 yards of [Edwards]," Ryan said.

In the second quarter, Edwards was wide open on a deep post, but the pass went to Cotchery for 13 yards. After the game, Edwards, held to only one catch, left without talking to reporters. On Monday, he explained himself, saying he was emotional and didn't "want to answer a question the wrong way or go off."

Holmes, too, ducked reporters after the game, saying through the team official that he had a family emergency. Asked about it Monday about his family situation, Holmes said tersely, "We're not going there."

So far, no player has complained publicly about his role in the offense. Edwards claimed his hasty exit had nothing to do with personal frustration, but he wondered aloud if Schottenheimer is finding it hard to keep everybody happy.

"We have so many weapons and we're trying to get all those weapons the ball," he said. "Maybe that's tough ... I'm not speaking for Schotty and I'm not speaking against Schotty. That definitely could be the case. Maybe he's sitting back and trying to make sure the ball is distributed equally.

"You know, make sure Dustin has three. Make sure Jerricho, myself [get our share]. Brad Smith has his Wildcat package. Maybe that's the case. If so, that's a tough job on a coordinator, trying to balance out the numbers."

On Sunday, only one number mattered and it loomed large:

Zero.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Let's say I am reasonably certain of that.

Just being cautious. Heh.