Jets not satisfied with Adrian Jones (my opinion)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

As capable as I think he is, I think the CS sees him as no more than a backup. Theres been much debate on this board as to whether he can cut it as a starter, and I think that question has been answered. Of all the players at the combine, who did we spend the most time with? Ferg. Factor in the interest weve shown in Kevin Shaffer and Brad Hopkins, and I just dont see us coming out of this offseason with Jones as the starter at LT. Could he be moved to another position? Possbily...but I think were gonna attack the FA market for a LT...Im liking Shaffer. Anybody else agree?

2. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

No I dont agree. Adrian Jones did a solid job considerin it was his 1st year as a starter and he had to make the transition from RT to LT. Him and Moore were our most consistent linemen this year.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Adrian Jones is no doubt overrated. If we end up getting either Brick or Schaffer...you can say bye bye to Jones...

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Jones did a great job at LT in my opinion and can only improve. He is young and cheap.

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree. Jones is good for depth, he showed me nothing to be a longtime answer. LT is a position that if you can upgrade, you do it. Especially if you are going to have a QB coming off an injury or a rookie QB. But I don't agree on Shaffer. Brick is the best option in my opinion.

6. 1028

1028 Active Member

Like I said, I also like him as a starter and think we should spend our $$ elsewhere. But Im trying to interpret our CS's moves...and from what I can see it looks to me like theyre trying to replace him. Hence the Ferguson, Hopkins, and Shaffer interest...weve seen more interest shown at LT than at any other position this offseason

Also keep in mind that we have a new OL coach. It was Marone that thought Jones had a future at LT. Wise might have a different opinion on him

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Great is overstating it a bit, don't you think? And for the position that is solely responsible for protecting the QB's blindside, "cheap" is not a reason to keep a player around.

8. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We just have to wait and see what happens. The Jets i think could still go QB in the draft. They were discussing trading up to number 1 overall to grab Leinart.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why, he has all the tools to develop into a very good LT. The worst thing this team could do would be to move him to RT, and for some reason I fear that is what they are thinking of doing.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I think they should be satisfied with the job he did, considering it was his first year starting. But it's hard to ignore a talent like Ferguson. I agree that moving him to RT would probably be a msitake, but if we mve to a Broncos/Falcons type O-line, then it wouldn't be so bad. One possibility that no one has mentioned in a while is moving Jones to CENTER. I don't know if he has the mental acuity to do it, but he has the right size.

11. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

yea there looking at offensive tackles because we have a gaping hole at 1 of the tackle positions. jone s will be startier week 1.what position dont know ether RT or LT but he will be in the lineup.

12. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Then we share the same opinion, my friend.

13. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

I don't think he goes, I just think his role is reduced. And I think the first pick will be D'Brick.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like him as a center--in my opinion it is a position he can learn.

15. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

How can someone be overrated when no one other than us Jet fans even know who he is?

16. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

good point its not like you hear about him on ESPN every 2 seconds.

17. Yeah the Jones situation is one the FO has obviously invested alot of time debating. I think he'll eventually get moved to the interior where if he puts on some muscle, has a ton of upside.

18. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Let Jones go back to being the TE, his more natural position. If he catches the ball, who can bring him down?

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

No way he will be our starting LT next year and he will do good and will only get better for years to come thats how its gonna be.

20. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

well thank god shaffer is off the market, to be honest, i think the FO (mainly mangini probably giving some insight to mike, though Im sure mike agreed to be a great ide) is throwing smoke screens everywhere

personally i love it, especially since its NY of all places where they are digging and eating up any bit of info they can get, basically our FA targets for the most part (outside of Kitna) are blowing stuff everyone, and especially with the draft

basically i think they are looking at if they sit at 4 and dbrick is there, he's the pick, and that in FA they are going to look for hard-working cheap players that aren't overpricing themselves (for instance they are interested in Ashworth, an OT who can play either side, not amazing, solid, works hard, comes from the Pats, and if he ends up a backup at some point in the next year or two, thats a hell of a backup)