Jets lost for the same reasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by discostu570, Nov 4, 2007.

1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I know everybody is going to want to continue talking about Clemens and Pennington, but I think today's game showed why that argument is irrelevant. The Jets lost today's game for the same reasons they've lost every game this year, terrible defense and poor production on the ground. Until and unless the Jets address these problems, it won't matter who is starting at quarterback, the outcome will still look the same.

Defensively, David Harris was about the only good thing to happen. This guy is the dominant run stuffing linebacker that this team was so clearly missing last season; if the rest of the defense hadn't fallen apart in the offseason, this team might be looking pretty good. Trading up to get him into the program is looking like one of the best personnel decisions of the Mangini era. If Revis can continue to improve (I thought he played much better today than the last few weeks), thatll give this team two of the most important cogs needed for dominant defensive play. Add an impact player along the line (Chris Long anyone?) and some speed at OLB and this defense could start making noise.

Offensively, this was clearly the same show we've seen the last few weeks, regardless of the quarterback change. Clemens was completing passes all in the same range that Pennington usually does; his presence in the lineup didn't really improve the teams ability to throw deep. His faster delivery sometimes gave players more YAC opportunities, but Clemens clearly doesn't have the same accuracy that Pennington brings to the table, and there were a few crucial plays where if his ball placement was a little better, the Jets could extend some drives. Clemens success running the ball was a nice surprise, but all things being equal, I'd prefer to have some adequate pass blocking instead. Altogether Clemens had a much better day than he had at Baltimore, but he's still learning. On the ground, even though Jones averaged nearly 4 a carry, there is still zero consistency with the run blocking. Compare the Jets to the Skins, who were running the ball on second and ten in overtime. They can do that because they're perfectly confident in their ability to pick up 4+ yards. The Jets simply can't do that with any consistency, and until they can, the Jets will continue to lose. It's time to send Clarke, and maybe Anthony Clement, to the bench. As long as we're using a losing season to see what Clemens has got, we might as well do it on the line, because thats where the Jets biggest problems are.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have lost every game this year except for the Pats game to a combination of terrible offseason decision making and poor coaching. Everything else that has happened is a symptom of those two ailments.

3. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

I hate to say it but if Clemens wasn't playing we won't have got those 3rd down conversions.
    We also would have seen a shit load of screens because Washington has one of the best secondarys.
    We also would have won if they caught some of those drop passes. And if we can actually stop the run...

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but the point of the switch was never kellen vs Chad.

It was get our future QB experince while the rest of the peices catch up talent wise.

I now have doubts about Shotty. We did not strike down feild, but that was due to play calling. One maybe two deeep strikes called all game? not enough. It seems we were more than content to keep the ball under the saftys.

You mention Kellens ball placement. He did only OK in this area. Part of that is due to being rushed. Overall I was not thrilled with him, but not too upset.

The thing that pissed me off toady were the drops. Everyone seem to have one. Cotch, Smith, Leon. Ugly ugly ugly. Add in the bad penaltys and it seem like we were trying to drop the game.:mad:

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Offseason plan became clearer today.. Upgrade both lines (especially in the size department, we must get big and strong), and get a PASSRUSH... I'd be willing to break the bank on Suggs haha but it won't happen with Thomas' contract.

I hope Clemens continues to steadily improve. So far he's faced Baltimore and Washington, two legit defenses I'd say.

6. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

I can't believe this team won 10 games last year. They thought 4 draft picks and some cast off's would make this team better? They couldn't stop the run last year and the defense was horrible. They were just able to win so close games. If you patch the holes instead of fixing them only leads to them leaking even worse. The funny thing is everyone perdicted this team to play this bad last year. They were only a year off.

7. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I like what Harris brings, but people act like he is going to be the savior of this team. Vilma sucks in all your opinions, but I watched Harris start today and let Portis have the most rushing yards hes had this year and the Skins rush for more than 250 yards. Thats pathetic. As I have been saying all along, Vilma nor Harris is the problem. Our D Line sucks so bad along with Hobson and Thomas being the worst tacklers inthe league, makes for a very ugly defense. Sutton must go and we need a new front 7 minus Vilma, Harris, and Barton.

8. Todd14

Todd14 Member

Now this is a good thread!

KC should be in there now. Let's see what he's got. If not we can draft another QB in the spring.

This team has a lot of issues right now but Chad vs. KC is not the main issue. I hope Chad gets with a team with a great deffense (field position) and a great offensive line and he kick's some butt.

I hope we get our crap together as a team in the next couple of years and KC is the real deal!

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Actually if you want to get right down to it, the Jets have lost both games that Clemens started because of poor WR play, with assists from the pathetic defense. Which certainly hasn't been the case when Pennington is in there. The Jets still may have won this game if Mangini wasn't gutless and would've went for it on 4th down a 1st down away from getting in FG range and possibly ending the game. But just like his awful handling of the QB situation he once again showed a complete lack of awareness in his team and punted the ball and the game away.

10. Br4d

The Ravens and the Redskins are two of the best defense to gauge a young QB against, because they both bring a good pass rush with a lot of blitzing and they both have really good safeties covering the deep middle.

I'm happy with what I saw out of Clemens in both games. Definite progress from the Ravens to the Redskins. Now two really tough games looming.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Plus, the bye week.

The bye week is favored by 4.5 points over the Jets.

12. Br4d

Hopefully Mangini goes light on the field and strong in the classroom for the next two weeks. I'm starting to buy the "out-of-gas" arguments for the bad 4th quarters so far.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Puhlese.......

Go back and look at the film.

The Jets were getting raped on offense, at +5 down the field.

On the skins running play in OT the guys in the booth were pointing out that Thomas was clearly held at the point of attack...

14. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

LOL

Good one. It will be the first week that the Jets will not have lost in a long time

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i was at the game today and had great seats. the hold occurred right in front of me. it was ridiculously blatant, i don't know how there was no call.

anyway, this D is terrible. im wondering if Vilma would be alright next to Harris with a revamped D-line. i've never seen a Front 3 so pathetic in my life.

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

The Jets lossed today because 1. They couldn't stop the run, and 2. (most important) dropped passes

Between leon's dropped for sure TD and cotch dropping the first down in OT, it really hurt.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Hopefully this will stop all the QB talk and people can finally focus on the problem this team has had for years. We can't stop anybody from running on us. Hell, I could run for 100 yds against this pathetic excuse for a defense. 300 yds is a joke. The QB wasn't the problem last week, this week, nor will it be 2 weeks from now.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

HAHAHA This team this season is pathetic you cant help but laugh:rofl:

19. Greatful Jethead

Greatful Jethead New Member

Thats great...Still laughing

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Agree for the most part, but I'm not so sure about the 'awful handling of the QB situation'. When it was fairly apparent we were going down for the count earlier in the season, he stuck with Chad to show and exhibit loyalty in the locker room. At least that's how I view it.