Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This would be a decent move. The running attack will greatly enhance the passing attack, especially Geno PA and bootlegs. Johnson would compliment the backfield nicely. It's pretty clear that Johnson won't get "paid" though, so not sure if he will land here.

Between Ivory, Powell and...possibly Goodson the backfield looks solid. I thought MM did an outstanding job of rotating the backfield. For a "passing" league, it sure seems like the teams that are able to run have been in the playoff picture every season. I support any emphasis on the running game/backfield in general.

3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Idzik is not interested in DeSean Jackson, so there's pretty much no chance of him becoming a Jet.

Johnson might not want to come to the Jets, because he views himself as the workhorse RB, whereas the Jets would split his reps with Ivory and Powell, meaning he'd have little chance of breaking 1,000 yards.

On the other hand, he might realize that his top years are in the past and that maybe he can have a longer career in a committee. We'll have to see what happens.

4. Geno007

I dont think he will have a problem with RB by committee because I think RB know these days they don't last long in NFL these days. Plus I heard he will take 4mil a year. IMO that a steal for him

5. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

If we can get him for $4m after he is released that would be great. He can catch passes which is important (Ivory is not good at that.) RBs are not getting big money anymore, so maybe he will be happy to just extend his career.

6. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Chris Johnson is a great fit. His pass blocking is very good, his receiving is very good and imagine he and michael Vick running a read-option type of play? Home run speed all over the place. With a good line Chris Johnson is a top tier back in the NFL, no other back can turn any touch into huge TD quite like Johnson. Everyone knows Johnson wants out of TN, he isn't getting along with his coaches and "plays when he wants to". What of the ultimate players coach Rex Ryan? Could he motivate Johnson to return to CJ2K form? I would say it's worth a shot. Fastest RB in the league, durable, good pass blocker, good receiver. I say do it.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How much money is CJ looking at is the question.

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I would say:
    [​IMG]

9. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Id like him at the right price. We have decent depth but Chris Johnson, Ivory and Powell would be one hell of a three-headed monster at RB, especially if reports are true about this offense looking to run more than 60% of plays. It's all about value with Idzik and if we can get him here at say 2 years 9 or 10 million it could be worth it.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I said this in the other thread, but here is the answer:

This offseason the top 6 FA running backs signed for an average of $2.89 million a year. To put it in perspective, punters signed for an average of $2.91. Running backs are not getting paid like they want, Chris Johnson included.

Jets Esq. likes this.
  11. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

No RB has been getting any big money as of late, so I'm guessing somewhere in the $3m to $4m range. Not many other teams have a lot of cap space, so maybe the Jets will be in a good position to get him.

12. Geno007

Yeah but none of those RB are not near as talented as Johnson.

13. Falco21

Chris Johnson is 28. These are young guns that are coming off very promising years like Ben Tate, Donald Brown, and Knowshon Moreno. Idc how good Chris Johnson is, there is no high market on running backs no matter where you go.

14. Geno007

I'll bet Johnson gets at least 4mil a year

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Am I the only one getting tired of reports like these?we have been intrested in almost every free agent at one point or another these reports are becoming a joke

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  16. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Don't care, none of those guys can do what CJ does. Donald Brown and Slowshon Moreno are replacement level RB's at best. Tate is good, but not durable and has yet to prove that he can shoulder a full load. Johnson is a durable back with game changing ability. He had some bad moments last year, but watch the runs in the first half of the Colts game and tell me where you see him "slowing down". You can also see why he wants off the Titans. He tore the first half up and then they stopped giving him the ball and lost the game. The coach carousel frustrating to him. I don't blame him.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How is this any different than any other year?

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I hope this is true. I'd like to see what MM would do with him. I think he has some of the same traits as McCoy.

19. Falco21

I don't give a shit lol

A player gets paid based on how the market reacts. The market for running backs is within that $2-4 million range. That's what he'll get. A team would be stupid to pay him more when the market says otherwise.

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'd like him at $4 million or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.