Jets keep Clowney

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Steve032, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/

The New York Jets held onto wide receiver David Clowney with an exclusive-rights qualifying offer. Clowney is a former Green Bay Packers fifth-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech. He caught 14 passes for 191 yards and one touchdown last season. For his career, he has caught 15 passes for 217 yards with a 14.5 average per catch.

Here is the definition for an exclusive-rights offer

www.askthecommish.com

There is one other kind of free agent, which isn’t really very “free” at all. That is the Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA). Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player.

2. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Keep Clowney, but not Wright? Whatever.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We kept the WR with at least some potential to contribute to the offense and let go of the WR who could only contribute on ST. We don't need two ST WRs when B. Smith can return and cover, the Jets are looking to bring in another WR.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I would have liked to keep Wright as much as anybody, but he was on the team for special teams, not for WR.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Glad to see Clowneys sticking around.

The guy definitely has potential, and COULD become a #3/backup wr.

Plus if we lost him who would keep us all updated on twitter.

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I still don't understand why we didn't use Clowney's speed more last year. Maybe he's a poor route runner or he wasn't showing much in practice. Seems to me that a guy that's as fast as he is could be quite dangerous on longer routes or in the open field. I'm not lobbying for him or anything, just curious.

I remember the calls for him to be the "bomb" threat during the preseason last year. I guess Braylon smothered that a little.

7. bojanglesman

Apparently Jason Davis. The guy twitterates everytime he farts, breathes, shits, pisses, or has a thought.

On that note, I'm also tired of seeing Carrie's twitters. Can't we at least enjoy not seeing his BS ramblings?

#7 bojanglesman, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Clowney really only has straight line speed. That's the reason he was never picked to replace either Leon or Leonhard after their injuries. He does not have the agility shake a tackler so he's not very useful in the open field. He has the ability to beat CBs deep but he's a crap route runner and cannot adjust his routes when he needs to.

He's gotten better at his route running and has been more willing to go over the middle this past season but he's still a project at WR in a run-heavy offense. That's why he was not used more last season.

9. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Can't wait till August so he can tease me like an Amsterdam window whore!

10. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

i like this. can't no one cover the clown. kind of.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Remember Clowney saying a week or 2 ago that hes looking for a big time track and field trainer to work on his speed/agility and possibly route running I guess.

Maybe eventually hell break out, I know this guy doesnt want to be a backup his whole career, he definitely wants some attention

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

except himself :wink:

13. bojanglesman

Ainge---->Clowney.........(preseason) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Why didn't we use Keller more before the postseason? Either we didn't have enough balls to go around or blame Schotty.

Too many times last season Sanchez got picked off because he didn't check down/throw the ball away so I hope somewhere on that tape he spends 4 hours a day watching that he realizes he should start throwing more to guys like LT and DK next season.

I'm being too harsh. He definitely got better as the season went on (clutch in the playoffs) and he didn't really have anyone besides Keller to throw to underneath after Leon broke his leg. Yet another reason why we need a reliable slot receiver IMO...

15. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

the clown will be a jet for life, because he will party his ass out of the league before someone else picks him up.

16. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

He's tired of being known as Mr. August.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Will he finally break out? That depends partly on whether the Jets switch to more of a passing attack.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Clowney is a pile of trash. This is not a significant move, I'd rather have kept Wallace Wright.

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Greene gets injured next year, and I think well be a pass first team till he gets back. If it goes well who knows maybe well follow the trend of every other team out there.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This is why I would like to see another thumper at RB, one more for depth.