Jets have not drafted a 1st RD WR since dating back to Keyshawn Johnson (1996) & Santana Moss (2001)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Its not that we have to take WRs in round 1 to find success at the position,its that it shouldnt be out of the question to consider 1st round worthy prospects.As good as Steelers,Packers,Chiefs & Chargers are at finding mid round gems all of them have not hesitated to spend a premium pick on one if its right.

The jets just have such a long time hole at the position & have failed repeatedly at taking guys in later rounds at some point you have to find a solution.Perhaps force your hand.

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Steelers almost never draft A WR in the 1st and have consistently found gems later in the draft. Picking a WR in the first isn't the issue. Not finding any starters or depth at the position at all is doesn't matter what round you take them.
    Robby wasn't drafted at all and he's lighting it up right now.

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

We drafted some fine 2nd round WRs! NOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Sack exchange

We have traded for a few 1st round receivers... Edwards, plaxico, Holmes, etc. with mixed results.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

But we haven't drafted one. Not since Moss. 19 years ago. I'm sorry but within an offensive driven league that's driven by the passing attack? To not draft a WR RD1 in 19 years? It's more than pathetic; it's criminal.

Sack exchange likes this.
  6. Sack exchange

Well, question how many interior defensive lineman have we drafted 1st last 20 years yrs? Safety’s? We basically forgot we had to play offense. Just not sure why. But our coaches were defensive types. But still, best available would come in up with WR/RB at least once in 20 yrs?

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I would love Trevor but if we're not in position to draft him?

Chase and Mims as a WR duo along with Becton @ LT would at least give us a chance to see what we have in Sam Darnold.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

There are many reasons to be upset with this franchise--this isn't one. At least Keshawn and Santana were both pretty good. Some of teams never got a single pro-bowl out of any of their 1st round WRs over this period.

Packers selected Javon Walker in 2002 and Sterling Sharpe in 1988.
    Before N'Keal Harry in 2019, the Pats hadn't taken a 1st round WR since Terry Glenn in 1996.

1996-2020 1st round picks used on WR position:
    AFCE: The Bills and Dolphins have both taken 3, the Jets and Past have both taken 2. So it's on par for the division.
    NFCE: Washington 2, Dallas 2, Giants 3, Eagles 3
    AFCN: Steelers 3, Browns 2, Ravens 4, Bengals 3
    NFCN: Packers 1, Lions 4, Vikings 6, Bears 2
    AFCS: Titans/Oilers 4, Jaguars 4, Colts 4, Texans 3
    NFCS: Saints 3, Bucs 3, Panthers 3, Falcons 4
    AFCW: Broncos 4, Raiders 3, Chiefs 3, Chargers 2
    NFCW: Seahawks 1, Rams 3, Cardinals 4, 49ers 4

Jonathan_Vilma and IDFjet like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd love to land Chase. He can contribute right away and become a #1 WR for our QB by 2022.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is something better to rant about. Since BP left after 1999 the only time we have hired someone with any head coaching experience was Adam Gase.

LOL!

Sorry but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good research right here. I thought those numbers would be higher for some teams.

Ralebird and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Thing is if the Jets had drafted a WR in the 1st instead of Becton, would Sam had been better off? When Becton was not in the Cardinal game , except for a few snaps then being taken out, Sam was sacked 6 times. JD had to take a tackle with his only #1. I know, this is probably a bit off topic but just saying if the Jets have only 1 first round pick, #1 HIGH draft pick in 2021, would they opt for a WR that high? They desperately need a pass rusher. Now , with 2 #1's it gives JD some options.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think Chase is worth a high 1st round selection, but that's just me. Might be a reach for Waddle and Smith.

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets somehow manage not getting the #1 , I'd trade down - get a top OT and WR's !!

15. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Is Mims playing today?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

You don't need to draft WRs in the first round it's been proven year after year Chase Claypool example 125....it's the easiest position to draft and fill in free agency...just make the right decisions for once.