Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And what Borat isn’t taking into consideration is if we keep him, he counts 11.4m against the cap this season. If we trade him then we relieve ourselves of 5.5m salary portion of that cap hit, as the new team would take that on. Unless of course no team is willing to trade for Zach unless we eat some or all of that 5.5m and count it against our cap. Which would then place us in a position where all, or almost all, of his 11.4m cap hit is still on our books even though we traded him. The bottom line is no team wants Zach at 5.5m for one season of service. No one would even sign him off the street for that price, much less give up a pick to do it.

Furthermore, at no point is 11.4m a tenable number for a #3 QB. This leaves us with only one option, and that is to cut him as a post June 1st casualty. This will split the cost of the 11.4 cap hit over the 2024 and 2025 season. Of course it sucks to have his dead money for an extra year, but a team going all in this year can’t afford to take a full cap hit like that this season while trying to add new talent.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I will try this one more time: there is no post June 1 savings. Again, here is the link: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets /. Review cut pre June 1 and Post. There is no difference. I understand opinions maybe different, but we have to at least stick to the facts. The fact is it will likely cost more to waive Zach and sign another 3d stringer, definitely not less, and that includes CAP hit. And this seems to be the central point of you argument. With that argument now being false factually, are you open to change your opinion?

As far as value, while Zach certainly didn't help himself, I think Zach had a shit hand too - no OL and the worst play caller. Some might see that in better situation he may be at least a decent back-up with good upside at 24. Not too much worse than Sam or Lance and possibly absorb 5.5. Let's see.

I am not against this, and if there is a good QB that slides where we think it is worth taking him for developmental purposes vs another player, that equation can change. I am just saying right now before the draft even took place it makes no sense to waive him. After the free agency and draft situation may be different as we may need a roster spot. I want what's best for the team, not necessarily what's best for Zach. And while he I am sure wants to be released ASAP, I would not be in a rush to do it just yet, because while his value is low, he is not completely worthless IMO. I don't think it makes me a Zach truther though. lol

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is the most honest reason I heard so far for outright waiving Zach. I do understand and can't really argue if people feel that way, rightly or wrongly.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I thought there would be a chance we move him for a Big Mac, fries, and coke. May have to rescind the fries.

Nyjets4eva and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. The whole thing boils down to piss poor talent at the leadership rank to start with. Until that gets fixed even the most talented personnel will underperform never mind the ones that were over drafted.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We wont know Zach's worth until FA starts.

QB rooms are like musical chairs in the offseason. When the music stops and your room is light, you have to scramble. (Unless your JD and just sign Boyle). It might take a few months, even after the dust from the draft clears, but Zach may return something if we're patient.

#106 ouchy, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not just the fans. A good chunk of the locker room too if any of those midseason rumors were true. Zach has to go.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ok, then based on that we MUST trade him, even if it means paying a team his full salary this year. That’s the only way to defer half his cost against the cap for next year, regardless if it’s pre or post June 1st. I honestly don’t understand how the rules allow them to defer half to 2025’s cap in a trade and not as a post June cut, but I guess them’s the rules. But either way keeping or cutting him at 11.4m this year is unacceptable for a 3rd string QB.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Woody destroyed any trade value he may have had by opening his mouth. So dumb to do that to a former top 5 pick from just a few years ago.

I have no reason to root against Wilson.

Much like Darnold, in the bit I saw from Wilson he didn't have much of a chance. The o-line, Hackett calling the plays etc. He got mauled in that second Miami game he never had a chance.

papapump, Borat and cval like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Again, if you pay his whole salary this year in a trade, you are taking on all the CAP. You are not differing anything. @ouchy is 100% correct. We need to wait and see. After top QB back-ups are gone, maybe even after the draft is done or even beyond that, the back-up QB market may not be as good as you think and someone might want to take a chance on him. While Woody certainly didn't help, there may be still something we can get before it is said and done. Waiving the guy now or trading him and paying full salary makes no sense.

He started after that and won POW. Sauce just said nice things about him. I don't think things are as dire in the locker room when it comes to him as you think.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you really think that the words of Woody Johnson tell football professionals something more than they already know about the capabilities of Wilson?

tomdeb, stinkyB and Since1969 like this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Im not trying to argue, honestly I’m trying to learn here. When I follow the link you provided and change the category to “trade” whether post or pre June 1st it shows his cap cost being split with half going towards 2025, vs if the category is “cut” regardless of pre or post June 1st it shows the entire 11.4m hitting this year. So why would it all count towards this year as you say if we traded him?

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Will Zack hang around the NFL or is he done? I think he's done b/c he's not good enough to be a backup and I don't think he's willing to play on a practice squad. Maybe he'll play in the CFL?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just cut him and move on. Look at what the broncos are doing with Russ Wilson and the ramifications are far greater.

Cut bait and don’t jerk people around Joe Douglas

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Somebody will pick him up when he's released. There will be one coach who has enough ego to think he can fix him.

How much longer he hangs around the NFL will be up to whatever he does with any second chance he manages to get from another team. I would imagine he'll also have to be willing to take a 3rd string job as a developmental project on a pretty small contract.

16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He’ll get another shot. Someone will believe they can be the one who fixes him

dmw likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yes, let's tell ourselves because Woody said something negative about Zach, that decreased his trade value. :D
    Those other teams are not able to watch film of Zach playing like crap for three years--they are and will rely totally on what Woody says.
    I don't think the jets will get squat for Zach. They will have to eat his contract and cut him. Or possible give away a draft pick to convince some sucker to take him.
    Read one report a few days ago wherein somebody predicted Zach would not even be ON an active 2024 roster, more likely a practice squad QB.

ukjetsfan and SackRecord99 like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Biggest waste of draft capital in Jets history.
    0.0% chance of him being on the roster this season. Literally addition by subtraction at this point.

how JD is returning for his lame duck season in a vain attempt to go all in, thus destroying future seasons as a parting gift, has to be the most nonsensical Jets decision ever.

Retaining Hackett to ensure dysfunctional offensive decision making, and no plan B in the event of a Rodgers injury (again), may be the second most nonsensical Jets decision ever.

This team is a hot mess.
    Thanks JD for the worst 6 year stretch I’ve endured as a fan.
    Next GM is gonna have a lot of digging out to do.

tomdeb and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Because it assumes a straight up trade, where a player is moved to another team and that team now pays his salary. I think ultimately this is what's going to happen.

However, in the scenario you described you said we will trade him AND eat the salary. That would be just as bad as cutting him.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Rumor that the Rams and 49ers are possible landing spots for Zach. That would be great for Zach. I think both franchises can help Zach. Wish him the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.