Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Hold that thought until later this year. And let's hope that team is not the Jets.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm not missing that at all - apparently you believe that just because Johnson owns all the assets connected to the team his babble about them has value. I do not and I don't believe professional football people do either. You may be the first person ever posting on this board who believes anything can be learned from listening to Johnson.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold had no offensive help in Year 3 and he had Adam Gase.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I always thought the Sam vs Zach debates would be saved for when we are 4-9 and flushing another season.

papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Oh no, nothing could have been actually learned from what he said. The guy was completely mislead into thinking the only issue we had was that Aaron was hurt and we didn't have a back-up QB. That was the reason he didn't clean house, and it was dumb, and I believe most people recognize this.

However, if any owner of an asset for sale disparages that asset and says it is worthless, it does lower the value of the said asset on the market. Not sure why you keep missing this obvious concept.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Adam Gase may be Shanahan compared to Hack.

7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You’re assuming the owner has an asset. Zach Wilson is not an asset. He has a contract that’s prohibitive to trade for him to be your backup and a track history that he’s not capable of being your backup. A team would take a flyer on Zach to stash him on a practice squad if he were a FA and they can sign him cheap. Hell, a team might even give us a 7th rounder if we were willing to eat his contract, which we can’t do because we’re trying to use every dollar we have to build a team around ARod. Nobody is giving up assets to pay Zach’s salary for one year to be a backup when he’s clearly shown so far he’s not even good enough to be relied on as a backup. Woody saw the tea leaves and said what he said, in my opinion, because Zach did one other thing that turned him into a toxic player-he quit on the team when healthy. Unless it’s a contract dispute the league does not take kindly to quitters, yet another reason Zach is not an asset.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

What the excerpt from this story fails to mention is that the 49ers decisively and quickly moved on from Trey Lance when they realized he wasn't the solution. While the Jets languished for 3 ENTIRE SEASONS (an eternity in the ever changing NFL) with Zach Wilson at the fucking helm for most of the snaps. The ultimate fireable offense for any NFL front office and coaching staff but here we are.

That right there is the difference between a well run franchise and the shitty ass Jets.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

seriously

Zach Wilson and Trey Lance both suck.

Wilson has 33 starts and Lance has 4. Which team is dumber?

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I felt Zach had a little value, but some. Not a lot. I was thinking Trey Lance, which is a 4th, but with one year of control instead of 2, maybe a 5th was a possibility. After Woody's comments why would anyone offer us anything knowing that we think he is worthless and will be dumping him regardless? It's not like Zach had a robust market to begin with. But I do think even now there will be a team that will eat his salary. He is better than a PS guy and he is still young with some rare tools. It's just the little value that JD may have been able to get is going to be further diminished after Woody stupidly made Jets position about him known.

As far as his actual play, I think he performed better than you and others give him credit for under the circumstances. Not good, but I do think we had an average back-up, unlike what Woody claimed. Not a starter. But the problems with the team were much deeper than that. I saw a poll about who the back-up QB should be, and Tanny is #2 on that list. That would actually be a downgrade IMO. Brissette would be a good upgrade, but who knows if he will come here and how much he will cost.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

However it happened, whether Zach really is a spoiled dickhead, or Saleh & Co mishandled him, or some combination, the well has been poisoned for him here. If it wasn't, he might well still be the best option as their backup compared to the names being tossed around and their likelihood of whether they'd even come to the Jets. This shows the rest of the league that the Jets hands are tied with Wilson. They know the Jets don't want him, and they also know the Jets will have to eat his $11+ million dollar cap hit if they don't find a trading partner. Why would any team give the Jets anything for him, even if they think he's worth it?

Thanks to the Jets mismanagement of a young asset some team will be able to get a young QB who still has potential cheap. The Woody and the Jets prove once again that they're the "winners" of worst run franchises.

JetsKickAss, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From the CAP perspective, they are going to eat what they already saved CAP wise regardless, since Zach got a signing bonus, so aside from sunk cost, we are on the hook for 5.5 mil to Zach this year. If we trade him, then another team would take on 5.5 mil. That is not a bad price for an average back-up with some upside. Certainly better than paying Tanny more than that. Let's see what happens with Brissett and Minshew. After they are gone, the market for back-up QBs will get a lot less exciting.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But as I understand it, if no team trades for him, the Jets eat the whole $11+ million, and any team he signs with doesn't have to give up money or assets. If that's true, why would any team trade anything for him? The only reason I can think of is that some team really believes they can fix him and make him into a decent QB, maybe even a decent starter, and they don't want to risk some other team getting him. There may be a team or two in that spot, but it's not likely.

14. SackRecord99

SackRecord99 Member

https://x.com/NFLNotify/status/1763354397038252338?s=20

shocker! Z has literally no trade value. comical how delusional Z and the truthers are to think anyone would give up anything of value for this guy. horrific bust with terrible attitude and large price tag. what's not to like. at very least thank god jets are committed to cutting him. we just need to be done.

#74 SackRecord99, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This trade is destined to be a franchise changer..... like when Dallas traded Herschel Walker!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach is a project. Not a NFL backup you can trust.

17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

SF cut bait quick before his trade value dropped too much.

Zach should have been moved last year after the draft. But he takes up an unnecessary roster spot for all NFL teams.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is better than Zach Wilson. It’s pretty close, but I feel more confident in Sam going into 2024. I still have no problem with trading Sam after that 2-14 nightmare of a season. The Jets needed a fresh start. Unfortunately, the fresh start was with Saleh and Wilson, which was also terrible. I had high hopes for Zach, but he let me down. I still think he, just like Sam, can succeed in the NFL. He just needs his confidence back. Not sure either can lead a team to the Super Bowl though, so it’s nice having Aaron Rodgers behind center.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We need to start drafting more QBs with the last pick of the draft.

20. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

If this is true it may make sense to hold on to him until there is a trade offer.. maybe as injuries start to happen in training camp, preseason or even the first few weeks of the season. Yes it means using a roster spot, but it may be worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.