Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I highly doubt the kid becomes a competent backup for any team, let alone a starter. I will forever be baffled how so many were fooled over a cupcake Covid BYU season, while completely ignoring the issues this kid clearly displayed prior to that fluke season.

However.

That will be the last time I trash the kid. I don't feel bad for him, he got paid well, and should be set for a very long time. I do wish him the best though, If he truly does love the game as much as he says, for his sake. I do hope he finds a home and succeeds. Passion Is a lost art, I can never fault someone for following their passions In life. Good luck, Kid.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree here. I hope he does find success somewhere. I doubt it was ever going to happen with the Jets, and I don't think it's likely that he has any high level of success... but the Jets have proven beyond any doubt that they as an organization have no clue how to approach drafting a QB at all other than to use a high draft pick to sell jerseys and tickets. The Jets need someone who is a unicorn and needs no coaching or intelligent approach to his development.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, one of the guys that was supposedly pounding the table for Zach to be drafted at 2.

I also expect it to be the Rams, specifically for that reason.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Who do the Saskatchewan Rough Riders have to offer?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Where is he going to find a team willing to give up something for him?

Only way he gets traded to an NFL team is for the Jets to also send a pick to the team taking him in order to take the salary off our hands. Nobody is actually going to give up assets for the "production" we've seen the past three seasons.

tomdeb and SackRecord99 like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I suppose then that the Russini story during the season was true: Zach did not want to come back as QB1 until the Jets promised him he'd be moved in the off season.... I'm so tired of this crap occurring with this team.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think that NFL players/organizations do not take kindly to players that quit on their team, no matter what the circumstance. I think a lot of GM’s are going to be questioning whether Zach is just a little bitch that can’t handle the responsibility and doesn’t have the leadership qualities needed. Let’s be clear- a well respected offensive mind that now works with one of the greatest offensive minds in the league was fired due to Zach, as reported LaFleur was “too mean”. Zach’s own HC said Zach needs to “go sit on a beach and read a book”, his teammates all wore custom tshirts in favor of his backup, and the owner of the team blatantly said we didn’t have anyone worthy at the position Zach plays as the main reason for our struggles-while Zach is here.

There’s an extra stink around Zach beyond his poor play. I don’t think the organization likes Zach at all, and I think other teams can read the tea leaves. Teams may bring him in cheap for a look if he hits FA, but I don’t think anyone is trading with us unless we eat the contract and pay them to take him ala Brock Osweiler back in the day.

JetsKickAss, SackRecord99 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not in the last year they both were here. First two years - no question. Zach simply wasn't ready to play 1st two years out of BYU. But Zach improved in the last year quite significantly to the point where he was comparable or even slightly better than Sam in year 3 within a similarly shitty offense. Sam had 72.7 passer rating on 184 ypg, 59.6% completion, 9TDs, 11 INTs. Zach had 77.2 passer rating on 189 yards, 60.1% completion, 8 TDs, 7 INTs.

This is not to say Zach was awesome. He was not and neither was Sam. But as a back-up QBs playing with shitty OLines for shitty OCs both of them I think are average back-ups at this point. Zach probably has more upside at this point since he is a couple of years younger. With that said, it will be hard for JD to get any value for Zach after Woody said he sucks as a back-up. I was hoping for 4th before he said it (basically Lance package), but now after Woody lowered his value, at best 5th or 6th.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

uh huh.. people with eyes could tell who is better. the cherry picked numbers are cute though

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Someone will take him. Zach has raw talent and there are no doubt coaches and GMs who think that he could be molded into something great. Whether that ends up coming to fruition or not remains to be seen, but he'll generate interest.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

LOL. Cherry picked? These are main conventional stats. But just because you mentioned it, I just checked their PFF #s too: 58.4 vs 58.2 - nearly identical as well in the 3d year.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If we pay all or most of his salary, I agree. Otherwise no one is taking him.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

look Darnold's 3rd season was terrible and cost him his job here. That happens to be Zach Wilson's very best season and its nearly identical.

Now tell me who is better? The guy who was so terrible one year he was sent the boot? or the guy who was so terrible a similar season represents improvement?

---

it is cherry picking to put 1 guy's worst season up against another guy's very best, and trying to say they are the same. Clearly they are not and I watched them both play

14. BrowningNagle

Why wouldn't the team(s) if they have any actual interest in Zach Wilson just wait for him to be cut? Why give up something in a trade when clearly the Jets arent bringing him back

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There are a couple of ways to look at it. I looked at the last season because it is most relevant. There is no cherry picking there. Trajectory is also important. Zach most recent season was an improvement while Sam regressed. Again, I am not sure which one of them is better. But what I saw was an average back-up in both of them at the end of their tenure with the Jets. Sam remained that, let's see what happens to Zach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

then dont cherry pick if you dont want to. You are citing statistics? then put Darnolds body of work with the Jets against Wilsons. Obviously its gonna show you Darnold is a better player.

SackRecord99 and JetsKickAss like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not cherry picking. I am selecting the most relevant point: where these players are today, not when they were a year or two ago, while still developing from College. 3d year vs 3d year Sam vs Zach to me is most relevant. If Sam who played in P5 was more ready to play than Zach who was not early is not that important. And I am looking the same guy at the same stage: leaving the Jets after 3 years out of College. Sam remained that guy 3 years later. Who knows with Zach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

LOL ok, jury's out I guess

it would be one thing if there was some big upward trajectory, maybe I see your point, maybe. But we are talking about Zach Wilson here. He went from 6 touchdowns all season and benched in '22 to 8 touchdowns all season and benched in '23. That's not some big improvement. He sucked both years

JetsKickAss and SOJAZ like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And I am not arguing he should have been a starter. But In 2022 he was outplayed by the likes of Streveler. This year when replaced by Siemian, who was serviceable for two teams in two years before the Jets, Siemian produced 62 passer rating compared to Zach's 77. Zach improved by going from worse than Streveler to sizably better than Siemian. That is a big leap. Again, not saying Zach or Sam didn't suck as starters. They did, I am not defending them. The only point is that they were both average back-ups at the end of their rookie tenure with the Jets.

20. BrowningNagle

so because Siemien sucked too, that means Wilson made a big leap?

they were both super shitty

maybe you can be Wilson's hype man though so we can actually get something in a trade. I am down for that, I'd take anything for him to be off this roster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.