Jets got lucky, but they belong in playoffs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Jets got lucky, but they belong in playoffs (Source)
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The hecklers already can be heard openly mocking the absurdity of it all.

The New York Jets are in the playoffs?

That's right. They backed in.

But had the Jets not qualified for the postseason, ridicule would've been louder. The team with the NFL's best defense and top rushing offense should be a lock for the playoffs, and anything less would warrant gobs of negative criticism.

So it can't be both.

Either the Jets deserved to get into the playoffs, or they didn't.

The Jets need to make no apologies for what they've accomplished.

Happenstance, destiny, whatever you want to label it, they pulled it off Sunday night with a resounding 37-0 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals at the Meadowlands.

The Jets (9-7), with a bombastic rookie head coach and a capricious rookie quarterback, made the bracket. They'll face the host Bengals again, this time at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Paul Brown Stadium.

"When you look at the body of work, you see that we can do some special things," Jets fullback Tony Richardson said. "Most teams that do have the No. 1 defense and the No. 1 rushing attack and play great on special teams generally do make the playoffs.

"No matter how we got in, and people might always want to put an asterisk by it, we just have to get ready to work next week."

And that's the real punch line. The Jets will convene this week not to clean out their lockers like 20 other NFL teams will, but to get ready for another game.

It took an outrageous sequence of fortuitous events for the Jets to get in. AccuScore pegged the Jets' chances of breaking into the playoffs at 11.6 percent entering their Week 16 game against the undefeated Indianapolis Colts. But the Jets took a third-quarter lead in Lucas Oil Stadium, and the Colts pulled Peyton Manning.

Voila, a Jets victory.

But that wasn't nearly enough to swing the door so wide open that all the Jets needed to do in their regular-season finale was beat an opponent that already had clinched the AFC North and could rest its players.

Also in Week 16, the Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars all lost. Everything that could have gone right for the Jets most improbably did.

"We definitely got some good breaks," Jets kicker Jay Feely said. "Unfortunately, we had some breaks go against us earlier in the season, or else we could've been in a much better situation.

"But this is a team that has a lot of character. We never lost faith in ourselves. This locker room was never -- in any way -- fractured at all. That's one of the reasons we were able to stay together when we lost critical games."

Feely would know. The Jets seemed to have bottomed out with a heartbreaking Week 15 home defeat to the Atlanta Falcons. The field-goal unit butchered three field goal attempts and the defense gave up a last-second fourth-and-goal touchdown to lose 10-7.

After the game, Jets coach Rex Ryan suffered a bout of premature elimination, declaring his team mathematically out from the playoff race.

"So when you get a couple breaks, you've got to be thankful for them," Feely said. "Now that we're in the playoffs, I think we’ve got as good of a chance as anybody to go all the way."

Teams don't have to be elite to get into the playoffs. The Arizona Cardinals were dismissed as undeserving a year ago, when they won the NFC West at 9-7. Then they went to the Super Bowl and came darn close to winning the whole thing.

"To get to the Super Bowl, it's all about hitting your stride at the right time," said outside linebacker Calvin Pace, who signed with the Jets last year after five seasons with the Cardinals. "Now, whether or not we're doing that, I don't know. We're playing well. But it's about finishing the season well in December.

"If you can get some momentum, man, anything can happen. ... If we can continue to stick to our formula, the sky's the limit."

Without star nose tackle Kris Jenkins, the Jets' defense finished atop the league in several categories. They allowed only 252.3 yards a game, 32.1 yards fewer than the next stingiest team. They gave up an average of 15.5 first downs a game and a league-low 163.9 passing yards a game. The Bengals had zero net passing yards Sunday night.

The Dallas Cowboys edged out the Jets in average scoring defense by one-tenth of a point.

The Jets' run game has been relentless behind Thomas Jones. The Jets amassed 257 rushing yards on the Bengals, giving them an average of 172.3 for the season.

The lone variable to the Jets' yo-yoing success has been greenhorn quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The Jets have figured out a way to marginalize him within their run-dominated offense. Sanchez completed 8 of 16 attempts for 63 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions Sunday night. In the second half, he had one pass for 9 yards.

Still, the Jets rolled up 37 points. The Bengals (10-6) scratched running back Cedric Benson and pulled several key players for the second half, but that final score will give the Bengals something to think about for the rematch.

"I think it's very tough to regroup after you got physically manhandled like that," Feely said. "When you have three plays in the first quarter and a half and we physically dominated them, it's very hard to regroup.

"They're a good team, and they've done a great job all year of overcoming adversity through all the tough times that they've had, so I'm sure they'll regroup and it'll be a great game. But we definitely sent a message."

The Jets validated themselves, not just Sunday night, but throughout the season.

They'll be the only team in the postseason with a rookie quarterback, but the fact they were able to overcome that liability shows they're an opponent to be reckoned with.

"All that matters is that we are in the postseason," right tackle Damien Woody said. "You earn everything you get in this league. Nothing is given to you." ​

#1 dwalsh, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

We did not back in.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the Jets typically end up being on the short end of the stick.....i'm glad things finally went our way.....fuck all the sour grapes out there....this wasn't a 2 week season, it was a 17 week season.

4. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Good put that shit in the locker room.

fuck what people think we lost Jenkins and Leon.. two of our top five players. We dug ourself a giant hole 4-6 than turned it into a 9-7 season with a playoff birth lead by a ROOKIE HC & QB..

To say we don't deserve it is mind boggling.

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

We lost a Probowl RB and Probowl DT and still had the best D and run game in the NFL.

6. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

did any of you guys actually read the article?

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

nope I just read the title to this thread.

8. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I made it to "Accuscore"

9. jnjoewilly

jnjoewilly New Member

haha I did & it's a great article. The jets will not go out like the fins did vs baltimore last year. Jets will advance baby

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that is probably the most impressive part of it.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I read it and I'm not upset one bit by it. Written from the perspective of someone not emotionally tied to Ganggreen may sound like a knock but it really was a tribute to the Jets good fortune..

Wow, did I really use "Good Fortune" and "Jets" in the same post? Holy Sh1t ! :)

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you can't back into the playoffs when you control your own destiny going into the final game of the season.

13. jetsandtheunder

I think we are a pretty dangerous team. We'll see that's for sure....

14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

We lost Jenkins..........we overcame it.
    We lost Leon..............we overcame it.
    Sanchez ate a hotdog on the sideline......we overcame it.

"......the Jets took a third-quarter lead in Lucas Oil Stadium, and the Colts pulled Peyton Manning. Voila, a Jets victory.".....we overcame having to win that one.

"Also in Week 16, the Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars all lost. Everything that could have gone right for the Jets most improbably did. "

It has been my experience, in my 54 years of life, that when a string of improbable things like this happen - it isn't for no reason. I'm not implying anything necessarily, just stating an observation.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Backing in generally means losing and still getting into the postseason. We didn't back in by any stretch of the imagination. We had fortune smile on us in the Colts game, but I'm tired of hearing how we didn't stand a chance without getting the starters pulled. We had a lead against Manning and were only down 15 - 10 when he was pulled. It was a likely Colts victory, but not a guarantee.

As far as the Bengals, they had a chance to sit their starters at the beginning of the game and let us waltz in. Instead, we hammered their starters, and knocked a couple out for next week's game as well. How that's 'luck', I don't know. True, in a midseason game, they may never have pulled their starters, but we scored more points against the starting lineup than the backups. Anyone who criticized the Jets for their luck last week should be eating their words this week.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Of course, what it fails to mention is that the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, and Jacksonville Jaguars all ALSO LOST THIS WEEK. We didn't need all of them to lose. The only team out of that bunch that could have beaten us in a tiebreaker this week is Jacksonville. Big deal. That's not some huge sweep of fortune, that's something that happens every single year.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

relax dude....just let it "sulk" in.......things will work out in the end.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think the only luck part of it was when all the teams that had to lose before the Jets played the Colts, lost. After that, the Jets still had to play very good if they wanted to get into the playoffs. If they expected it to be handed to them by either the Colts or Cinci, they would have been sadly mistaken.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Nope, Because we stop after "They Backed in".

No Thanx.
    We didn't back in and anyone who says we did does not understand what "Backing into the Playoffs" means.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is what was really going on. In the AFC you really only had two teams that clearly would have gone into the playoffs no matter what the year was like for everyone else, and that was Indy and the Chargers. NE played through some bad spells there, and lost a key player trying to hold down the third seed. Cincy has had some real trials thrown their way, and losing that game to SD was a tough one. Some years both of them might have fell to fifth or sixth seeds, if that. The Ravens also lost to some bad teams.

There were a lot of teams around five hundred this year, much more than average. They all weren't going to the playoffs. The tie breakers put the Ravens and Jets in with 9-7 records. Meanwhile there were two other teams with identical records that did not get in, and teams like Denver who looked great early on but ended up with a 8-8 record. Should any of those other teams have gotten in?

Compare to the NFC - five of hte playoff teams have better records than the Pats and Bengals in addition to the Jets and Ravens. There was less parity in the NFC.

But, the rules say six teams go to the playoffs.

That about covers it.