Jets flying in Robert Saleh for second interview(Leaves without a Contract)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

2. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

If he’s hired, get ready for a defense heavy draft

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I pray we don’t. If they end up doing that then please address the offense in FA. I wouldn’t mind a corner or an edge but this offense is the worst in the league by a mile.

Vida, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Here is why I am excited about Saleh.

1. He is supposed to have a great demeanor who gets along with everyone.
    2. He has a ton of expereince and connections
    3. I love the coaches he can bring with him from SF. I love LaFleur. If we are going to keep and rebuild Sam, which I am extremely skeptical of, I can't imagine a better system for him. The west coast system should help Sam with reads and getting the ball out on time. Which should greatly help his confidence which IMO is his biggest problem and something that may not be able to be repaired.
    4. He is a player's coach who should provide a lot of enthusiasm and inspiration. he brings integrity and honesty to a position that has been severely lacking in both.
    5. I really did not expect this process to move so fast. CJ said they rushed things last time and wanted to go slow. I thought we would be exhaustive and drag this out being afraid to pull the trigger. So this is really exciting.
    6. Saleh just seems like a really solid hire. A very non-Jets type hire. He seems to have earned the respect of everyone in the league.
    7. From all accounts he is not an asshole. After what we endurded the last two years with Gase it will be nice to have a coach that makes us want to root for their team. It will be a change but very nice to be able to root for the Jets again.

#5 Noam, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would be moving very close to the exit if they do this...AGAIN!

7. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Micah Parsons at 2 now lol

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It feels like Christmas eve wondering whether Santa will actually come visit us today.

In response I think Santa needs an explanation. Dear Santa you don't know how much we have suffered. We deserve a good head coach as much as any fan base ever has. Bring Saleh home today!

Oh and P.S. Gase and the Pats both deserve coal.

#8 Noam, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He’s only the first of a handful of guys they are going to bring in for second interviews I believe you will see Smith, Lewis, Brady as well.

JD doesn’t seem like he’s going to make a rushed decision, anyone wishing Saleh doesn’t leave the Bldg doesn’t know JD at this point.

Im sure what ever final list they narrowed it down too there is not much separation from each candidate that fits with what JD is looking for.

AJW and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Don't forget another critically important thing: actual accomplishments. He led 49ers defense to two straight top 5 units in NFL (#2 and #5 with many injuries), and largely responsible for SB appearance a year ago. That counts for something. Now we are not talking about just a good defensive coordinator, we are talking about elite one. I have no doubt Saleh will be a HC next year. Outside of possibly Daboll, I don't see a better option (Pederson situation is still in limbo). Also, for the Offense, the Saleh is connected to Kafka, LaFLeur, McDaniel, one of whom will likely be his OC.

Now, when comparing him to Daboll, I see a lot of seasons where Daboll had 20+ rated offense. Granted he had bad QBs, but still, the only elite season is with Allen this year - #2 offense among many he has been a part of. Love the fact he worked with Allen from the beginning and would weaken Buffalo, won play-off game too. So, this is really close between them. The question is, do we risk losing Saleh as Daboll may not be available for interview for another week, maybe even more if they beat Ravens? And he may have other suitors as well he prefers over a divisional rival. In that time I am quite sure Saleh will be gone. It's a tough question to answer, but if JD does not let Saleh leave without making him a HC, I have no problem with that.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My thought is if we want Saleh we should learn from the Antoine Winfield incident and keep the doors locked until he signs the contract.

PennyRoyal10, KY Jets Fan and SOJAZ like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I disagree. JD has a damned balanced approach to things and knows the needs of this team better than any GM we ever had. In fact I will venture to say that free agency, before the draft, will be heavy on offense, like OG, WR as a minimum, leaving all the options open for the draft. He might trade down a couple of slots and go WR again, and then look for jewels including CB, TE, and pass rusher.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, and believe - for now - that you are.

LAJet and Noam like this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m ok with it but a little underwhelmed tbh

REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My original forecast for the down select list was Saleh, Smith and Lewis...with Brady as the wild card. so I'm right there with you BUT, Having said that, if JD saw sufficient separation amongst the candidates with Saleh, it would sure accelerate things by a bunch and fly the company Jet for him. Just saying.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. I think JD will cover as many needs as he can through FA allowing him to take the best players he can at the draft. I expect him to sign one of the big 2 guards. I am unsure if he will spend and sign a big wr but I am sure he will sign a veteran wr to go with Crowder Mimms and a draft pick. I would also expect him to sign a veteran QB to either compete with Sam or play until a drafted rookie is ready.

Hopefully Saleh brought extra clothes with him as he could start working today as HC.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think you're right, so can't "like" your post, because I would absolutely hate that and it would be the end of my days as a Jets fan.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm still really hoping for an offense-first head coach.

I just hope the Jets aren't looking at the Gase hire and going "see, offense-first coaches don't work!" Nah, you just picked a terrible offense-first coach in Gase. Most of the best hires recently have been these young offensive gurus.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's a shame about Joe Brady because seems like a GREAT fit from an X's and O's perspective but I don't see him being this fiery leader type the Jets are allegedly looking for. He'd be a great OC with Saleh as HC but Brady won't be going OC anywhere with how much HC attention he's getting.

20. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

BUT IS HE A CEO TYPE????!?!!?!??!?!!??!??!?

(half joking)

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.