Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I never imagined Jackson would actually become available. Have been a bit concerned at his recent injuries and the punishing hits he takes as a mobile QB. But, to see Lamar under center for the Jets would take them to another level completely.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Per Connor Hughes.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A. He'll be too expensive both with the assets the Ravens will demand, and the money they'll have to pay him.
    B. His style of play doesn't support the ability for him to be healthy for the length of any contract the Jets have to give him.
    C. Douglas learned under Ozzie, and if Ozzie thinks Lamar isn't worth a long term investment, I doubt Douglas does.

No, he's not becoming a NY Jet.

york61, tomdeb, BudJet and 12 others like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I can see us performing due diligence - the FO are probably on a 12-month hot seat so need a proven winner on-board - but not backing up the truck.

I don’t honestly know where Lamar goes. I don’t see an obvious landing spot.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

2023 1st

I’m in.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we give up 2 fists and a second for Jackson he will need to be a good runner behind our line.

James Hasty likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do we fix the OL in this scenario?

Lamar Jackson isn't going to last long behind the OL we currently have.

This may sound heretical but I'd be more likely to offer the Ravens Quinnen Williams than a bunch of high draft picks. That fixes some of the cap issues and also allows us to draft the OL we need to take advantage of Lamar Jackson.

The trade might not work out but it would not be a longshot from the start.

york61 and cmcm750203 like this.
  8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Ugh, would rather have Kyler Murray if he becomes available or Rodgers. Lamar is the entire Ravens offense, we have Breece and Wilson. Not for the compensation especially, what have the Ravens won with him?

Jojo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK if I would do this, but I wouldn't reject it out of hand.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

The only way Lamar Jackson is a Jet would be Woody forcing JD's hand. That said, not out of the realm of possibilities.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

unfortunately at that point, I’m sure it’d be out of Douglas’s control.

12. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

1) How do the Jets repair the decimated OL if they have to trade away valuable draft capital to secure Lamar? In addition, this move will affect other areas in need where more depth is required.

2) If Jets are unable to move Zach, how do they pay Lamar with Zach already being paid a hefty amount to do nothing at the same position? Maybe they can play both mobile QBs simultaneously if they bring back the wishbone formation. On second thought, ain't happening with the current OL.

First in line my arse. With the Jets OL in tatters, unfortunately the organization finds itself in a position of weakness when attempting to schmooze the league's top available signal callers.

york61, SOJAZ, Jojo and 1 other person like this.
  13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Woody is on his way to becoming a less in the spotlight Dolan if he does this.

14. Br4d

The real problem with a deal for Lamar Jackson is the wear and tear he already shows at the age of 25. 15 GS in 2019 and 2020, 12 GS in 2021 and 2022. What's the next set of numbers in this sequence?

We know that running QB's get hurt at a much higher rate than pocket QB's. We've seen very promising careers cut short in Daunte Culpepper, RG III, Andrew Luck, etc. Basically if you live outside the pocket you often die outside the pocket. QB's are at a premium with a huge target on their backs as soon as they get outside the protected zone.

15. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

If it is. It shouldn't be.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  16. Br4d

I would definitely reject a bunch of draft picks for Lamar Jackson. That's the scenario where our pain continues well into the late 2020's.

SOJAZ, papapump, Jojo and 1 other person like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think his longevity will be there and I don't trust him to come here and be the same kind of player. He just strikes me of a player that Is a product of the system he plays In. I hope they go another route.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s hard to deny that Lamar would be fun in the short term. He’s been an amazing NFL player up until this point in his career. And he’s a better passer than he’s ever been given credit for. However, he’s still not a good passer because his mechanics are so erratically inconsistent with his throwing motion.

The next breed of NFL QB’s are going to survive outside the pocket. Lamar won’t because Lamar doesn’t avoid big hits, he invites them and he’s not big enough to absorb them.

amuck57 and cmcm750203 like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. The OL was putrid but how much of that was because we were playing our 3rd and 4th string tackles and lost our best OL in AVT? I’m not sure we have the answer to that.

If the opportunity presents itself to get a former MVP at a young age then I gotta pull the trigger.

20. Br4d

He's missed 8 starts the last 2 seasons. That's kind of a red flag unless you have a plan to keep him healthy and fresh late in the season.

I've liked him as a QB since Louisville. He has a way of coming up with the big throw when you need it. However he is a little big off mechanically speaking and that might just not be correctable. He's one of those QB's who changes arm angles frequently to get throws off. That slight inconsistency is probably ingrained in his throwing patterns at this point.

It's easy to see the Jets thinking about getting him as a marketing device (and a very good QB.) Odds on that blowing up in their face are probably 50/50 particularly depending on what they give up in the process.

I don't know what Woody is thinking at 75 but his chances to make the Jets a Super Bowl champion are definitely diminishing over time. It's easy to wait a year or two too long and suddenly be in Leon Hess's position of not having enough time to make good on that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.