Jets expect big things from Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jun 21, 2012.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this dl is going to be beastly this year.i really feel good going into this year.i think rex finally has the whole coaching staff the way he wants it.the defense is as talented as its ever been.if the offense can hold the ball and control t.o.p. they could be poised for a big year

2. joejamfootball

Wilkerson stinks. The Jets are just trying to take the double team off Coples so he does'nt become the next Vernon Golston. By pumping up Wilkerson the pressure and double teams are off Coples. Its Rex's way. Or Wilkerson could be a stud.

3. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

How does big Mo stink?

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I posted this before when someone else linked to this article in another thread and didn't get any response ...

I though Wilkerson was a positive player for us last year but I don't recall ever watching him play and thinking he was dominant. Did you guys? I am chalking this talk up to the Jets CS rah rah bs that we hear all the time.

I'd obviously love for it to be true though.

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I didn't really find him to be dominant either, a contributor sure but not dominant. The play where he forced the safety was pretty awesome but other than that I don't really remember him being a consistent threat. That being said he didn't have an offseason so that could have factored into it but there were other rookies who were pretty dominant without an offseason so that might just be an excuse.

I think he'll continue to be a good contributor, maybe even moreso than last year, so it's all gravy but I don't think he's going to get a pile of sacks. The only way he does is if Coples does have a really strong start to the year and he ends up drawing a lot of attention at the line and it makes it a little easier for him.

6. patfanken

patfanken Banned

This kid was my personal binky when he came out of Rutgers. I think he's an outstanding prospect who got a lot of good snap experience last season....BUT...he's not a dynamic player. He is Ty Warren, not Richard Seymour. I think he can develop into the kind of player who is steady and dependable. A guy with a great motor who will be an excellent run stopper with enough rush ability to stay on the field for passing downs, where he will push the pocket and get four or five sacks a year just on effort alone.

The Jets are certainly a better team because they have Mo Wilkerson, but that article is just another example of individual Jet players being over hyped by the coaching staff. It clearly their style. Lets see if it works.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You fail.

/filler

8. Professor Frink

Considering he was a raw prospect coming from lower level competition and didn't have any off-season, I thought he did about as well as could be expected. They lined him up all over the line and I thought he was consistently competitive. Last year proved he belongs in the NFL, this is the year to prove he can be dominant.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Do yourself a favor and please go away

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I will say for the umpteenth time since the season ended. Mo Wilkerson was 3rd amongst 3-4DL in the NFL in tackles for loss. 3rd in the NFL in TFL's as a rookie. He balled out last year for a rookie. Also anybody care to guess how many sacks by our OLB's came from the side Wilkerson was rushing? 2 from Pace and I believe 4 of Maybins came when they rushed off of Wilkerson's side.

Causing production is key for 3-4 DL, and thats what Mo was able to do as a rookie.

Was he a consistently dominant force? of course not, he was a rookie. If Coples replicates Mo's rookie year it would be a great thing for us. This year for Mo its about taking those flashes of brilliance and turning it into consistency. If he does that, the Jets will be just fine, and Mo could challenge for the pro-bowl.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He showed flashes last year. It's realistic to expect him to get better... I think he and Coples will be good for us.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree, but when I read crap like this:
    I start to question where they're coming from.

13. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I remember watching playbook once and they showed a play where Mo got triple teamed on what I think was a run play. Mega respect for him by that particular team haha.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Is this really so much less objectionable than asking k-k-k-ken to kill himself?

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

fixed it for you...

16. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Temple, Rutgers, same thing. Don't kill me for a destination mistake. Look at the point of the entire post.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wilkerson had a good season for a rookie. We have no idea how much of the good was system and how much was Wilkerson but it's hard to look at what he did last year as anything but a highly positive indicator of where he'll be in the future.

He did not have a dominant season by the standards of some of the great 3-4 linemen in the past. Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks as a rookie in 1985 as an example. Haloti Ngata had only 1 as a rookie in 2006 but Trevor Pryce benefited to the tune of jumping from 4 sacks to 13 with Ngata opposite him.

He did have a good season as a rookie with no OTA's though. It's reasonable to expect him to have a really good season this year.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Last year he wasn't dominant. Obviously he has been working to improve. If the Revis comparison is valid he will be dominant this year. If is just the coaching staff pumping up a guy I hope to see solid improvement.

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I can picture the anguish on your face as you were forced to kind of take the side of a Jet. Get well soon.