Jets doing homework on trading up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 22, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This would be unbelievably stupid. Please don’t. Draft the best WR available you’ve still filled your borderline biggest need, then proceed as you would normally.

NYJalltheway, Br4d, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yea,there is no reason to do this if it's significant (1st or 2nd round picks). If we want to jump up..MAYBE, just maybe we give up that first 3rd round pick to land Wirfs/Willis but my god, we have so many holes. Draft your future WR of the next decade (Cee Dee) and move on.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree. Although I want them to take one of the OTs with their first pick, I don't want them to burn draft capital or other assets that they need to do it. Take one of the top WRs, or better yet, trade back and take one of the better WRs AND a "second tier" OT or a OG if they think they're rated higher than the OT.

But I'm not going to stress out about it. I have faith (for now) in Douglas that he knows how to evaluate talent and what the team's needs are, so I think he'll do okay...miles better than the GMs in recent memory.

SOJAZ, Imagesrdecieving and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Definitely don't trade up for the 3rd or worse, 4th OT if you don't have them as equally good and equally good fits with the top two. Trading up high enough to get the #1 or #2 would be too costly. Stay put and take the WR or trade down and take Jones or Cleveland, then re-sign Beacham.

Maybe this is a ploy to get all the teams who might be tempted to take a WR ahead of them to take a OT instead, or to trade down with a team looking to get an OT, so that the WR the Jets want will fall to them.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I believe everything I hear on draft day eve.
    I think the move up to be made is getting back into the bottom of the first . My guess here is exploratory talks to see what the cost would be and to hope it leaks to make other teams nervous.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I could not agree more. While not as good as the big 4, you could still get an OT with solid potential in the 2nd/3rd round. I would rather hang onto our picks, or potentially acquire more, and just let the draft fall to us.

Plus, would any of us be that upset if he HAD to draft CeeDee or Jeudy? I think not.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Dolphins looking to move up to 3 to jump the Gmen for a tackle. There is no shot any of these tackles are sitting at 11 for us. Just take Lamb or Jeudy and move on to Jefferson/Pittman in round 2.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Miami isn’t trying to get up for a tackle. Not buying it.

9. BroadwayAaron

Agreed. I don’t think there’s any coincidence whatsoever that a few days ago the Giants leaked that they were doing a lot of homework on Herbert and then a few days later the Dolphins want to jump the Giants. Gettleman playing chess while everyone else is out here playing checkers.

10. dawinner127

Gettleman playing chess and just going to take Derrick Brown at 4.

FJF and BroadwayAaron like this.
  11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The tweet can be true without Douglas actually having any intentions whatsoever of moving.

Doing your hw of what it costs to move up is a no-brainer. How do you know what the market is to trade down if you don't know what it is to trade up?

Having conversations with the teams ahead of you can possibly reveal info about what you fellow GM's are doing/thinking.

I want JD doing as much HW as possible and talking to as many other GM's as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I think this is smoke, but I almost want it to happen so I can see @NCJetsfan head explode.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm not trading up but I'm also not wasting pick 11 on a WR when guys with similar talent are available at the bottom of the 1st and 2nd round.....the move would be to trade back if the lineman are gone or maybe the CB or Simmons drops....plus wasn't the rumour yesterday the Louisville lineman was dropping? Can't be both.

#13 MJK, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The biggest detriment to the top 10 teams in the draft is the amount of holes they need to fill. Trading away picks for anything but a possible FQB is going to keep them drafting in the top ten.

These rumors always come out and rarely do any of them trade up because it’s just too costly.

NCJetsfan, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Lamb and Jeudy are in a completely different teir than anyone that's going to be available in the late first. Taking either one of them would be the complete opposite of a waste. I would trade back maybe a few spots to 15 and hope Ruggs is there, and if not then reach for a WR but even just saying that out loud makes no sense.

NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Let's be honest you have zero clue if Juedy, Lamb, or Ruggs will be any better then Aiykers, Jefferson, Higgins, Reagor, or even Claypool...this WR class is stacked and I would rather take a WR lower then at pick 11....btw this isn't a out of the box opinion it's more of a consensus around the league so if you can't make sense of it that's a you problem

18. dawinner127

Lamb and Jeudy are head and shoulders above the other WRs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

No you just wanna draft a player you are familiar with.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

A run on OT's could also present a prime trade down with a team trying to get one of the 3 WR's. Denver wants to move up, they can jump Oakland and San Fran and have their choice. Maybe Atlanta moves up for Henderson.

This is not exactly bad news, if true.

ColoradoContrails and MJK like this.