Jets Competitions this off-season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, May 27, 2016.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Thought I'd put up a thread for the various competitions happening this off-season for people to discuss various position battles going on.

The primary competitions that I see at this point on offense are QB (Geno Smith, Bryce Petty), WR (Devin Smith, Charone Peake), TE/H-back (Quincy Enunwa, Jace Amaro), RG (Brian Winters, the field).

On defense we have LB (Darron Lee, Erin Henderson), LB (Jordan Jenkins, the ghost of Calvin Pace), LB (Lorenzo Mauldin, Trevor O'Reilly, Deion Barnes), CB (Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams, Dee Milliner) and NT (Steve McClendon, Deon Simon). The DE's are going to be fun to watch, with 3 guys who can play at a high level and Jarvis Jenkins as a rotational guy who will see the field a lot if Sheldon Richardson is suspended or Mo is traded.

Edit: added Dee Milliner to CB competition. Not sure if Catapano has a real shot as a rotational DE with the stack of players the Jets have at the position. I don't think they'd have given Jarvis Jenkins a $3M guarantee if they thought there was any chance anybody else was beating him out as the rotational guy.

#1 Br4d, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I think Mike Capatano is on the D Line too. He had some good play for a little bit before he was hurt.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I think we should add Dee Milliner in the CV mix. He's gotten the outside CB nod over Buster and I haven't heard much about him from OTAs (no Dee Milliner gets beaten by Tompkins)

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Is Devin Smith even going to be ready by Game One?

5. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I thought I read someplace that Catapano is going to try and make it as a OLB this year.

6. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to smith, I do believe he had the tools to become a good QB and didnt think we would have any drop off if fitz was not resigned as he seemed to have a good attitude ( the punch thing was all speculation, we didnt see what actually happened) but after watching him with reporters getting pissed off and being the typical dumbo athlete (ie. lynch, russell westbrook(nba), hardy etc) theres no way this guy can be an NFL QB.

the media basically gave him a layup to say how much he grew sitting on the bench and how working with fitz has helped him and his game etc... instead "hes not currently on my team so im not talking about him" or "next question " "next question " "next question " "next question " "next question " etc... you are done bro. id rather throw hack/petty out there.

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

How you answer questions to the media who is trying to make a story out of you has nothing to do with how you play on the field. As of now, Geno is passing the best of the three so he should get the nod until he isn't the best QB out there.

FJF likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You may have, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article where Catapano said that he was strictly going to be a DE this year. Who knows which (if either), is accurate? I guess time will tell.

9. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

After reading that post I question your intelligence... Smith handled the media hags the correct way. That is, don't make a story out of nothing.

10. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

11. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

Oh really? Weird how the headlines everywhere is "smith gets testy after Fitzpatrick questions". Definitely didn't do a good job of not giving them a story. If he said my examples we don't have a story to talk about.

So which one of us has questionable intelligence again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NCJetsfan

Agreed. In addition, Smith answered the reporter's question the first time, and the jerkwad reporter kept asking the same question. That's why Smith kept saying "next question." Smith is saying and doing the right things.

13. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

The media is gonna be jerkwads because they know he's a hot head. Yeah they asked a similar question twice but I don't see any top tier QBs in the NFL getting flustered by that shit. Why the hell would he say "he's not my teammate" every other player on the team says positive things about him. The question that was asked which he responded to by snapping "next question next question. " was literally "last year...." That's it, it probably wasn't event about fitz.

It's not projecting any type of leadership, maturity, poise or professionalism. All it does is reinforce what people said about him behind closed doors for years. Things which I didn't actually believe until now.

14. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Proof in point.., eat it up

15. NCJetsfan

I think the main competitions will be for the RT, RG, TE, #4 WR, OLB, #2 CB, and P positions. Aside from backup spots, I think everything else is set.

On Offense, if Fitz is back, he will be the starter. If not, Geno will be. Forte will start at RB. Marshall and Decker will start at WR. Clady will start at LT and Carpenter at LG. Mangold is at C.

Supposedly, Amaro will be playing both the Y in-line TE position and H-back position. Enunwa will play the H-back position and possibly the #3 WR position. If Amaro can stay healthy, show that he is willing and able to block and can hold onto the ball, he will beat out Davis for the starting TE position. Devin Smith probably won't be back until TC, and he will possibly have a lot of competition from Thompkins, and hopefully, Peake, Bundrage, and Jalin Marshall. Qvale will compete with Giacomini for the RT spot, and imo Jarvis Harrison, Winters and possibly Dakota Dozier will slug it out for the RG spot.

On D, Mo and Richardson (or Williams if Richardson is suspended) will start at DE, McClendon will start at NT. Revis will start at one CB position, Pryor and Gilchrist will start at S. Harris and Henderson will more than likely be the starters at ILB with Lee and Carter as the backups. Competition at OLB will be between Mauldin, Jenkins, Bishop and Reilly. The #2 CB spot will be between Skrine and Williams, with Milliner having an outside shot if he can stay healthy.

I think the Punting competition will be one of the most interesting.

16. NCJetsfan

The article I read didn't say anything about Smith getting testy. In fact, it said that he stayed calm, and just went on to the next question in spite of the reporter's attempts to bait him.

17. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

I'd love to read that article lol

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think the dude's a 'tard but that "reporter" just proved himself to be a much bigger douchebag..... low hanging fruit quote baiting "journalism"

fuck that guy

Freddy Mondo and NYJalltheway like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The reporter was being a dick, but Geno didn't handle it well. Be Russell Wilson to the media, not Cam Newton.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Anybody know who the reporter was?

Geno can do better than he did.

He let that scumbag get to him a little. Some of these media people make me see red. That was the kind of thing Steve Serby would do. Fuckn cunt